shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby shower after baby has arrived??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Hi gals--i am already thinking about my baby shower----mostly b/c i am dreading it. I am not a fan of being the centre of attention. Although I had fun at my engagement party, shower, wedding--I did not like the feeling of everyone being there for me, staring at me, analyzing me etc. etc.
Because my pregnancy occurred days after the wedding I almost feel embarrassed to ask the same ppl to attend yet another event that is allll about me and comes with a gift--esp since it is less than a year following my wedding. Even though I know my friends/family care for me I can''t help feeling greedy or something...is that weird?
Anyway, a friend of mine had a ''welcome shower'' for her first born after baby arrived. She didn''t want to know the baby''s sex beforehand (neither do I) and therefore felt ppl would have an easier time shopping for gifts and know what she truly needed for the baby (the shower was held about 7 wks after the birth). I must admit I loved seeing the baby at the shower and it was a pretty joyous occasion. More so than other showers I have attended.
However, my friend later confessed she broke down in tears after the shower b/c she was overwhelmed passing the baby around, breast feeding during the evening, talking to guests etc. I don''t blame her. She is very young and not really into that stuff....
I am still considering the idea. I just like the fact that the shower is for the new addition (not me so much--ha!)--wondering if anyone has been to a ''welcome shower'' or had one themselves. What would you see as the pros/cons?? Moms-- Do you think it would be ''too much'' after the birth?

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a great idea! In fact I had never thought of that and now that you''ve mentioned it, I would like to do that myself (one day, in the future, years from now haha). I think it''s good because, as you said, people get to pick out sex appropriate clothing. But more, you have everyone around at the same time to see the baby! This reduces the amount of visitors you''d have to have later. I can''t imagine how stressful it must be to constantly have people in and out of your house (or hospital room) trying to get a glimpse and the bundle of joy. But at the shower, the baby can be the star (and not you, so that''s another problem off your list).

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
When I was pregnant with my DD, my sister planned a baby shower for me. It was around a month before she was due. Well, DD decided to come 5 weeks early on my bday. I didn''t know what I was having before hand (back in the olden days), so when everyone found out I had a girl, they got all kinds of girl clothes. The down side was that so many got newborn outfits for her that she only got to wear outfits once or twice.

The shower was all about her. She was the star of show. I don''t remember being overly tired or anything, even though she was only a week-10 days old. But, I was only 20 at the time, and was ready to leave the hospital as soon as I got to my room. The nurses would get after me telling me I needed to rest, and I''d be back down at the nursery wanting my little girl.

chinglish

Rough_Rock
*pssst* sorry to interrupt!
Jas12, do you mind checking the BWW forum, I kinda revived an older thread about your Dora dress.
I''m really interested and wondering if its still available?

PS: I think a welcome shower is a great idea. The focus is not entirely on you,
it''s on your baby who''s actually there. I personally would love to attend a welcome shower over a baby shower any day!

lili

Ideal_Rock
Jas12,

I think it''s a great idea to have a baby shower after the baby is born.
I''m always excited to see and hold a newborn.
Of course that''s not to say that I don''t love seeing a mother and her beautiful belly.
In fact, in my culture, we don''t do baby shower. We have what you''d called a
baby introduction kind of celebration deal where people are invited to come
celebrate the birth of the baby on his/her first month into the world.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love this idea!! A welcome shower sounds great!!
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We had my sister''s shower after the baby was born. It was supposed to be prior to the birth, and she went early. Everyone was so excited to see the baby. (Made the "don''t say baby" game that much more fun!) In our family, we always include the kids in the showers, so it was fun to have the baby there, too. In fact, most of my family has had showers after the baby arrives.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve attended a shower like you describe and it was great fun!!!
It was short, sweet, everyone held the baby,etc.

If you''re worried about being overwhelmed w/passing baby around, no reason you can''t do it later in their life, at a few months perhaps?

My only question is- this "shower" i went to was for a 2nd baby, meaning they already had all the "gear" you need as first time parents. Could be a con, since as I understand it people usually clean up at these baby showers and get some/all of the "big ticket" items. Just a thought.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I am in the minority here but I *really* think it is important to have your shower before the baby in order to get stuff you need for the baby. Honestly we got a lot of our really useful stuff and I feel like we are totally ready for anything. If you wait til after the birth you will get all clothes. Trust me, there are MUCH more important things that really add up than clothes. JMHO! I understand what you are saying as my Ohio wedding shower and Ohio baby shower were around 1 year apart. But people didn''t seem to mind and I am guessing this is it for me! (I doubt I will have a shower for any additional children). Just something to think about.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results