shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby clothes and stuff for the hospital

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
I''m due in just 25 days with my first baby (boy) and just have a question for you guys. (sorry if this is already covered somewhere)

What did you bring to the hospital for the baby?
Did you bring just a going home outfit or clothes for everyday that you were going to be there?
Did you bring a diaper bag with pacifiers and stuff?
What else, if anything, did you find useful?

I am getting a bit nervous about the whole giving birth thing and want to have my bags all packed before I go into labor. DH is super busy in the police academy and I know it''s better to try and have everything already than to ask him to find stuff I want him to bring later on.

Thanks!!!
35.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
All I bought for Meena was going home outfit (dress, socks, mittens and hat) and a receiving blanket. Everything else I got from the hospital. Diapers, paci, aspirator, alcohol wipes, formula, nipples, etc.

As far as stuffs for you, here's the thread I started when I was getting ready to pack my hospital bag for the first pregnancy: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hospital-bag.89916/

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Qtiekiki.

Someone told me with a winter baby that just the shirts,diapers, and swaddle the hospital puts them in might not be enough for daily wear. I would think the hospital would be warm but....
I live in New England and it''s been pretty cold lately.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
kt!! congratulations! i had no idea you were expecting!
36.gif

sorry i don''t anything to offer in terms of what to pack... thanks qtiekiki for the link to your thread. very helpful!

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 6:24:25 PM
Author: jcrow
36.gif

sorry i don''t anything to offer in terms of what to pack... thanks qtiekiki for the link to your thread. very helpful!
Hi Jcrow! Thanks and congrats to you too!! Can you believe we are going to be moms!!!
Mara and I are due on the same day, LOL! Alj has been going crazy with the baby stuff...you know what a wonderful nut she is. She came over this weekend and got some pics of my nursery I will post soon.

QT thanks for the link to your thread.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
haha KtIceRN, I haven''t thought about the fact that it''s winter. DD was a summer baby. I wonder if I need to pack more this time for the baby. I''ll probably throw in a footed sleeper and thicker blanket, just in case. I would think that the hospital would be at a comfortable temperature. I should start packing pretty soon too.
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a fall baby. Less is more. They have everything you need. Bring PJs four you and your DH, going home outfit (you will most likely still be in your preggo clothes), warm going home blanket for baby, shampoo, soap, toothbrush, etc and your car seat. That''s really it. The hospital will supply diapers, wipes, blankets, even little shirts.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter just had a baby in June, and baby Chloe had her official newborn photos taken there in her room by a company that contracts with the hospital. If you are going to have your baby''s picture taken before you leave the hospital, make sure you take a tiny colorful outfit for the photo.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Things I used:
Nursing nightgown (spend 1.5 days in this, I had a c/s and it was nice to get out of the hospital gown)
Yoga pants and really large stretchy t-shirts over sport/sleep nursing bra or nursing tank (wore this 3rd day and went home in this as well).
Cute outfit and cute receiving blanket for ds''s newborn pics.
We didn''t really do a going home outfit, but it was summer and really hot.
My own shower stuff, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.
Snack foods.
We used the boppy and extra pillows/blankets, but we could have done without them.

Good luck!

clammer

Shiny_Rock
Lincoln decided to come six weeks early while I was visiting family out of town. So I took nothing except a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt for me. They had everything we needed for him. It would have been a lot more comfortable for me if I would have taken some more stuff for me: snacks, a couple magazines, a little makeup so I could look somewhat presentable to everyone that visited, etc..

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 6:11:33 PM
Author:KtIceRN

What did you bring to the hospital for the baby?

Did you bring just a going home outfit or clothes for everyday that you were going to be there?

Did you bring a diaper bag with pacifiers and stuff?

What else, if anything, did you find useful?

Thanks!!!
35.gif

For the baby - A sleeper for going home. Even though you are in NE, I'm sure the hospital will be comfortable. They have receiving blankets and such as well. Actually, I think I'd bring something to keep him warm in the car seat. We use the "Bundle Me" by JJ Cole. It is great!

For me - All of your toiletries. Going home outfit - namely yoga pants and a comfy shirt. I brought a couple nursing gowns too. The hospital gowns just aren't comfortable. One of the nursing gowns came with a robe, which was nice for when guests came. Along those same lines, I may be superficial, but I brought makeup and I'm glad I did! Birth can make you look a little rough...a little bit of lip gloss goes a long way! OH AND PILLOWS!!! BRING PILLOWS. Hospital pillows STINK.

No diaper bag or anything like that. Like others said, the hospital will provide everything.

Other stuff that was helpful - snacks for DH, change or small bills for the vending machines. Sometimes we'd get hungry or thirsty after the cafeteria was closed...good to be able to run down to the vending machine and get a vitamin water.

Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok this is a weird question but for those who brought your own pillows, i don't think i'd use my pillow at home again after using it in the hospital. did anyone else have this issue? maybe i should get a cheapie $10 one at kohls. is that weird? HAHA.

i plan to take all my own mini toiletries (just like when i travel overnight for work in my baggie), a gown in case i can't wear pants, yoga pants and tank, socks, flip flops for the shower. for the baby i just plan on taking a swaddle blanket, a L/S onesie, a L/S tshirt. most people told me that they give you diapers, clothes, and almost anything else you'd need while there for baby. car seat of course in car, and a blanket in car.

lysser, how are you guys using the bundle me? i asked about this in another thread and a few people said it was not as safe as without, so i was unsure how to use it but i know other moms like it.

countdown, KT!!
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
just wanted to add that if your hospital does the newborn pics and you are planning on doing them you might want to bring a little outfit for the baby to wear.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 9:36:36 PM
Author: Mara
ok this is a weird question but for those who brought your own pillows, i don't think i'd use my pillow at home again after using it in the hospital. did anyone else have this issue? maybe i should get a cheapie $10 one at kohls. is that weird? HAHA.

i plan to take all my own mini toiletries (just like when i travel overnight for work in my baggie), a gown in case i can't wear pants, yoga pants and tank, socks, flip flops for the shower. for the baby i just plan on taking a swaddle blanket, a L/S onesie, a L/S tshirt. most people told me that they give you diapers, clothes, and almost anything else you'd need while there for baby. car seat of course in car, and a blanket in car.

lysser, how are you guys using the bundle me? i asked about this in another thread and a few people said it was not as safe as without, so i was unsure how to use it but i know other moms like it.

countdown, KT!!
3.gif
I brought my own but that was years ago. I'd by a cheapie that is comfortable .

The one thing I remember reading on here is to bring pads, like the hospital ones aren't the best??

Hopefully someone can answer that. The ones I was given were HUGE and bulky.

Good luck KT!!!!!! Wishing you all the best!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: newborn pics, a few of my friends told me not to get suckered into the photograph packages from the 3rd party ''partners'' of the hospital. they said it was a huge scam. we''ll take our own pics and also my gf who dabbles in photography offered to come and take some if we wanted.

kaleigh... i have heard varying things re: the pads. some people seem to love them for absorbency and others hate them!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lisa, the hospital had the BEST pads! They sent me home with a box.

Mara, I brought my own pillow and blanket and it was a comfort during my 5 day stay. I made sure to put a red pillowcase on so I didn''t leave it by mistake. I think if you aren''t grossed out by hotel pillows, you shouldn''t be by hospital. I just wanted to be comfortable.

Extras: the hospital will have a gift shop for magazines and stuff. Honestly I was so tired when I wasn''t nursing or sleeping all I could manage was watching TV. But stuff like that is small so bring it. I would not bring extra pillows or a boppy. Newborns are too little to really benefit from it anyways. They will prop pillows for you.

Hospital Gowns: people seem to differ but I wore there gown my entire stay. It was easy and things were errr messy for me. Not sure how a "normal" recovery was but my nurses needed easy access for pants would NOT have worked for me.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I wore the hospital gown the whole 1.5 day that I was there. I had a "normal" recovery, and the nurse checked on my episiotomy a few times on the first day. I don''t know if I was too lazy or something, but I didn''t bother to change into my nursing tank and yoga pants.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 6:34:45 PM
Author: KtIceRN
Date: 1/5/2010 6:24:25 PM

Author: jcrow

36.gif

Hi Jcrow! Thanks and congrats to you too!! Can you believe we are going to be moms!!!

Mara and I are due on the same day, LOL! Alj has been going crazy with the baby stuff...you know what a wonderful nut she is. She came over this weekend and got some pics of my nursery I will post soon.

QT thanks for the link to your thread.

oh how wonderful! i can''t wait to see your nursery! that''s my latest obsession right now. i''ve got an inspriation folder full of nursery pics. i bet yours is beautiful.

two things i have on my mental list of hospital bag itmes is lip balm and slippers.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Besides the obvious things mentioned here, the things I am so glad I had:

Lip balm!!
Lotion- for some reason, the hospital was super dry
Pillows- the hosptial ones sucked and I needed some extra propping
Socks
Flip flops
I-pod/speakers

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!! I''m so excited to see you post, and you''re having a BOY and hubs is in the Academy!!!!! WOOHOO!!!! Can''t wait to meet him at the next GTG!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I had some little clothes - a couple of onesies, some little pants, a cardigan and a thicker jacket, as well as a hat and some mittens.

Of the things I packed for myself, probably the most useful was high protein cereal bars. I wasn''t hungry for the first day or so, so meals didn''t appeal to me, but I needed energy for bfing and general survival, so they were ideal.

Oh, and the most enormous pair of knickers you ever saw. Big old baggy ones that didn''t hurt my c-section scar. I went home in a maternity wrap dress, again because it didn''t hurt my scar.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes, ditto to MrsMitchell and the "knickers"!

I bought like 8 pairs of black cotton maternity undies from Gap that were great. I got the boy short version, but they were super comfy and somewhat cute in a plain way so I didn''t feel like I was wearing ginormous panties. I wore only those for about 2 weeks PP. After about a month or two, I threw them away once I was back to wearing normal ones all the time.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
but I thought the big mesh grannies from the hospital were the best?

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
HH- Yes, you''re right, they are for the first week or so. Forgot about that!

But they get pretty gross pretty fast and I was so happy to have the others. But I guess you''re right, you don''t need them for the hospital! But I was glad I already had them at home. Thanks for reminding me to clarify.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL no problem. I''m sort of fixated on those...it''s the one time in my life when I''ll allow myself to wear gross granny panties....

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!

What did you bring to the hospital for the baby? Two onesies, two feet sleepers, some mittens, a hat, and a pair of socks. She was born in July in FLORIDA. I don''t know what I was thinking. She did leave with the sleeper and the hat though.

Did you bring just a going home outfit or clothes for everyday that you were going to be there? I brought all mentioned above but she didn''t wear anything until we left. She had on a hospital tee and I never bothered to change her since she was born with jaundice and this hospital tee was much easier than the onesies.

Did you bring a diaper bag with pacifiers and stuff? No. I would discourage bringing pacifiers if you are planning on bfing. The hospital most likely has soothies. They will give you diapers and wipes. Might as well save your stuff for home.

What else, if anything, did you find useful? Slippers, robe, and thick socks. I didn''t find bringing anything else for me, including underwear, as useful. I didn''t want to ruin my own clothing as I had blood everywhere nor was I in the mood to get dressed every day. I stood in a hospital gown the entire time.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the great replies.

I packed (in my bag) his "going home" outfit I bought the night we found out he was a boy . It''s a newborn size so I added one other outfit that is slightly bigger just incase. My OB says he is about 6lbs right now and she doesn''t think he is going to be a really big baby so I hope that his original outfit will fit. I think it is up to 8lbs. I have a blanket for him and we have the bundle me on the car seat.

I packed a couple of pairs of PJ''s and a robe for myself, a pair of flip flops for the shower,a pair of slippers and going home clothes. I packed some of my own undies (big granny knicker ones) and socks. I still need to get a nursing bra as I am going to try and breastfeed. I have chapstick, my ipod, camera, battery charger, e-reader with about 5 books I want to read. I also have all my toiltries in travel size and plan to pack a little makeup before I leave for the hospital.

I need to pack some snacks for DH as he seems hungry all the time since starting the academy, LOL. I will also make sure I have change/dollar bills for the vending machine (great idea Littleysser).

I plan on bringing my own pillow for sure and towels/facecloths. Being a nurse in a hospital I know what we do with that stuff and I really do not want to use them on my body.

I don''t know if they do pics there but I am going to pass on that so no outfit needed there.

I am going to forgo the diaper bag, pacifiers etc. I did however pack an extra bag with some onsies and sleepers in it that I can just tell DH grab that bag if I feel I need more clothes for the little one. That will be alot easier than asking him to get this outfit or that one.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
KT, bring an extra bag to put all of the take home goodies in!

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Hi HH
35.gif
!!!!!!

Good idea, I will do that!

I was just working on an email to you LOL!!!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
KT, forgot to say re the nursing bra- you might want to get a few in dark colours. I went home after 24 hrs, but a couple of days later we had to go back to hospital as A wasn''t doing great. I only had one (white) nursing bra. It got very grubby and uncomfortable after about 12 hours. We were there for 4 days and I had to send DH out to buy some black nursing bras.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results