shape
carat
color
clarity

Are there any Peruvians out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I bought some delicious tamales at the weekend farmers market the other day. With it you could also purchase this green sauce, I''m told it''s called "Inka sauce" with Peruvian flavors.

If there''s anyone out there who knows how to make this sauce I''d be interested in learning how. It seems as though the basic ingredients are parsley (I think the flat leaf italian version), something tangy (lime, lemon or vinegar?), garlic, and some spices and maybe a few drops of olive oil?

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It''s delicious!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Bump!

I shall broaden my question to say "mid easterners...." because I think that's the general area these flavors are used...

Maybe that will help my search?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look online for it...i'm sure you can find some information!

I LOVE Tamales!! Especially different types.

Though I was horrible at geography, I think tamales are more Spanish/Hispanic than Middle Easternish?

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I love tamales too. They are indeed more hispanic, which is why I am surprised they came with the sauce. could be that the maker is of mixed cultures and wanted to incorporate all her flavors somehow.

I tried looking online...that's the first thing I did. I could not find a recipe per se, only brief descriptions of it served up in restaurants... like "delicious green sauce using fresh flavors..."
20.gif
I'm like, thanks, that's not enough info...............!

BTW, do tell, how does your garden grow?
9.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Wait, so this is either from Peru or somewhere in the Middle East? Hehe broad range of possibilities. I asked my friend who just got back from 8 mos in Argentina & Chile, because I figured it was around the same area as Peru, and she had never heard/tried anything like that. But now I, too, want a tamale...this restaurant near my house (Hot Tamales) has this yummy mushroom one with a red pepper sauce. I don''t know how it rates in authenticity, but it is YUMMY.

Oh, also when I searched online I kept finding recipes for Aji sauce, served at a lot of places, but that was with peppers. Good luck in your recipe quest!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2005 8:52:50 PM
Author:Kamuelamom
I bought some delicious tamales at the weekend farmers market the other day. With it you could also purchase this green sauce, I'm told it's called 'Inka sauce' with Peruvian flavors.

I have eaten in Colombia, but not Peru. Excellent fresh sauce with cilantro in Colombia! Perhaps this site will be of assistance to you, though!

Hugs,
Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sauce in this recipe seems to have some of the ingredients you found in your "Inka sauce". What do you think?

SAUCE:
MARINADE:
1/2 c Dried hontaka chilies
1 c Red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Annatto (achiote) seeds
1 tbsp Fresh hot red chili -- finely
Pulverized with a mortar and
Chopped, seeded -- & deribbed
Pestle
4 tsp Garlic -- finely chopped
1 tbsp Olive oil
2 tsp Ground cumin seeds
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Salt

The entire recipe is on the website below. You must cut and paste this to get there:

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/americas/peruvian/00/rec0006.html

Deb

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, Deb! The recipe included some of those ingredients (I think) but it was very green. That''s the parsley I believe.

Yeah, I''m confused about the Peru/Mid Eastern mix..... I may have gotten that from a sauce book which I was scouring through and gotten that mixed up. The lady who sold me the tamales definitely said "peruvian" and "inka" but the recipe I saw in the book noted "mideastern" flavors and looked like a pretty close possiblity.

Who knows...
15.gif

Thanks Deb, I appreciate the links.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
KM my garden is going gangbusters actually!! I took some new pictures...plan to post them at some point soon! How bout yours? Inspired by Jen''s herb purchase I also recently got a few plants of mint for things like lemonade and mojitos!
31.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I haven''t yet started a garden at my new home, too busy still doing other stuff, but I do plan one eventually. In the meantime I have purchased a few nice house plants and sprinkled them here and there. Trying to add some color and decor, but I really stink at it.
39.gif

quicam

Rough_Rock
hello, my name is Margie, I am peruvian. I am so glad to hear that you our interested in our cuisine. I am a naturalized american, but I was born and raised in Lima Peru. Anyways, us peruvians love eating hot sauce with all our foods. Now a days, though in most food places, we have to tone down the hot sauce, but I know that there is one particular plant that is mostly used for making this "hot sauce". This is called Huacatay, which translates to black mint sauce. I don't know where you live, but almost all over the US now, there are peruvian stores with lots of peruvians products or even latin american food products. So, you should try to find a store in your town, and look for huacatay, it comes in a small glass jar, with the mint leaf in front. Good luck!!!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results