shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have PSD (pelvic symphosis) during pregnancy?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh my lord, I have had the worst pain in my pelvic bone since around 20 weeks... I guess my body is too sensitive to the relaxin hormone, which relaxes the ligaments that hold your bones together. If this is going to happen every time I get pregnant, I am never having another baby!! Anyone with experience? Did it go away after giving birth?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have the pelvic pain but do have horrible rib pain :knockout: due to the relaxin hormone and my uterus growing. I am sorry you are going through that. Have you thought of using a cold compress? I have been cold compressing my ribs and it seems to take the edge off the pain.

eta: I looked back at my notes from birthing class and the instructor teaching the class said that for Pelvic pain to do kegels and pelvic tilts to help strengthen those muscles. hth

cara

Ideal_Rock
I believe that dreamer had this and dubbed it evil crotch pain.

Sympathies!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOohhhh yessssss! Evil Crotch Pain! ECP for short ;)) I got that name for it from another PSer, Jen, who had it in a couple of her pregnancies and in her last with twins.

For me it was primarily caused by the baby's position. Hunter was balloted because I had polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid) and so his little head was pressing on my public nerves instead of tucking in behind the public bone -- that is our guess anyways. For me, it started with Hunter around 32 weeks and I am sorry to say got worse and worse. Felt like a hammer in my crotch when I tried to move my legs at all. I could not walk for the last month of my pregnancy without a lot of pain, and basically doing anything that required me to move my legs independently was bad. I would lean on the wall and cry at night when I had to get up to pee. It went away when Hunter descended behind my pubic bone two days before birth :rolleyes: and was totally gone post-birth. But the strain of being immobile for so long did make the recovery longer I think.

Will it happen in all your pregnancies... I'll let you know in another 6 weeks or so ;)) I am 24 weeks now and have not had issues, but as I said, for me it really hit later on. I am also sensitive to relaxin and at the moment feel it more in my tail bone area (which was injured in my last labour and so is a spot of weakness).

My midwives this time around suggested that if it happens again I try physiotherapy and chiropractry, which they say has worked for a lot of women they have worked with. Some believe that a misaligned pelvis is part of the culprit. I have no idea but if it happens this time I will definitely seek such interventions.

And I know it is terrible but you will get over it I promise! In fact, for me, the ECP was not the worst thing of my pregnancy -- the broken tail bone that took 6 months to heal was far worse! :cheeky: Despite all that I am back for a second time. The pain fades into the mists of time, and really, it is only for a short period of your life right? haha

TIPS: When you have to move your legs, like getting out of bed, try to hold your knees together and move your legs as one instead of independently. That helped me a lot. When you walk, take shorted steps and keep your pelvic muscles engaged to minimize movement in the pelvis. And I found holding my stomach up helped, so you might want to try one of those pregnancies girdles they sell at specialty stores, like the same place they sell leg braces etc. It helps keep some of the weight off your pelvis.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I carried twins to 38 weeks so YES! I know that pain! I would actually hear my pubic bone seperate when i got out of bed. Talk about painful!!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dreamer! I have noticed that trying to move my legs independently is sooooo painful! DH will help me swing my legs out of bed or off the couch... I have a brace to wear to try to lift him up off my pelvic bone, he has been head down on my cervix the entire time! This started around 20 weeks, and it is getting worse! The only thing I can do is swim. It does help take the pressure off, but I have to be careful to not put too much strain on my legs while kicking. It sucks because I pretty much have to be sedentary, which means that I am just packing on the pounds. Even with eating healthier, if you don't move at all, the calories don't get burned. Hopefully BFing will help to burn off some calories after he comes.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Had ECP with both kids. I assumed it was because I have giant babies. I got into downward facing dog Yoga position as much as possible. As I got bigger, DH had to spot me so I didn't fall. Getting the babe out of the pelvis would give some relief and then sometimes they'd settle into a bit more comfortable position. It often helped ease the rib pain but not near as much for the pelvic discomfort. It did go away within days of giving birth although it still felt "loose." With JT, I somehow got my pelvis out of joint and it didn't go back in properly so when I was preggo with Lily, it was worse. I couldn't get one leg up over the side of the tub. I had to sit on the toilet, swing my legs to the edge of the tub and then heave forward to get in. Thank God we have a standing shower!! Ditto the moving legs together as much as possible. Heating pads bring temp relief. Basically, just hang in there! I know it hurts like hell, but it will be worth it!

btw-my mom had ECP too, wonder if it's hereditary??

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh...I had it with Ellie and it seems to be worse this pregnancy. I don't remember exactly when it started last time, but it definitely came on earlier. I am a little worried about how bad it will get, since I am just under 32 weeks now and it's pretty bad. Dreamer gave pretty much all the advice I have. The 'moving legs together' is key. Ooof- getting in and out of the car got really difficult last time! Also, it really helps me to sleep with a body pillow. I sleep on my side and run the pillow under my belly for support, then between my thighs/knees/calves/ankles. That helps SO much. I hope you can find some relief!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I have a great body pillow and it really does make sleeping a lot easier. I have had this since around 20 weeks, and I REALLY can't wait for it to be done!!! Getting out of bed is so hard because we have a very low platform bed, so I can't just roll out of it. Plus, I have the huge body pillow that goes all around you, so I have to climb over that, too. Getting in and out of the car is getting more challenging as I get fatter. It's really depressing to see the number go up on the scale every week, but when you are essentially completely sedentary, it's bound to happen. I can't wait to be able to run again and work off this fat!

It's such a weird thing, this PSD. My mom never had it, but my sister had it with my niece. I think it's just how sensitive your body is to the hormones. Lucky me.... :sick:

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I did. I started feeling pain in the back of my pelvis at barely 6 weeks pregnant, when I was standing. I went to see a physiotherapist, it helped. My advice would be to do pelvic floor muscle exercises (including Kegels). It went away after birth, briefly reappeared when I had to stand for a few hours on end for a couple of days, but then I guess I got used to it and it went away again. I'm sorry you're in pain, it sucks.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh, been there, done that, hated it. What helped me tremedously was prenatal massage. My therapist also showed me the correct way to use the body pillow (I had been doing it wrong!), which brought major relief. Sorry you're suffering so much with it - it was by far the worst part of pregnancy for me.

ETA: I actually found my post from like three years ago where I talk about the sleep position! I actually don't remember having *hip* pain, to be honest, I thought the sleep thing helped me with the *pelvic* pain because I definitely remember having that!! But either way, maybe this can help and bring some comfort ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My massage guy last week taught me a good way to sleep -- and since it totally helped with my hip pain, I pass the info on to you! I hope this makes sense ....

Say you''re lying on your left side, have your left leg (the bottom leg) straight and then bend your right (top) leg to a 90-degree angle (so, basically the fetus position with that top leg). Then place a bolster (or roll up a blanket or something that will be substantial and not mooshy -- he doesn''t recommend the j-shaped body pillows b/c they wind up being smooshed there, and he''s right -- mine is totally squished at the curved part now) under the top leg -- but don''t put it *between* your knees. That puts too much pressure on the lower leg (which can lead to pain and leg cramps). Then try to elongate the area of your upper leg between your hip and your knee as much as possible. So if I''m lying on my left side, then I find myself angling down even a little more to the left to get that stretch. He also recommends a wedge under the belly, but I found that uncomfortable, and a pillow to hug. I''m still using my snoogle or snoozer or whatever I have, but I''m bulking it up more by putting a folded fleece blanket on top the part near my legs (the fleece does not help with the night sweats -- aaack!).

Seriously, my hip pain was getting brutal before the massage, and now I''ve had maybe two slight twinges of it since last Friday -- it''s heaven!! I thought I was sleeping right beforehand, but NOT sleeping on that bottom leg has made all the difference (well, that and probably still some aftereffects from the massage itself?). Most of you guys are still probably too early on to experience the hip pains but hopefully if you can sleep this way, it will preempt you from getting the pains in the first place!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would consider seeing a physiotherapist - that's who we are sent to in the UK for PSD.

One friend of mine, who is an MD, had it so badly that she spent the last 3 months of her first pregnancy on crutches and was on bed-rest for 4.5 months with the second.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ellaila|1301426233|2882800 said:
Ugh, been there, done that, hated it. What helped me tremedously was prenatal massage. My therapist also showed me the correct way to use the body pillow (I had been doing it wrong!), which brought major relief. Sorry you're suffering so much with it - it was by far the worst part of pregnancy for me.

ETA: I actually found my post from like three years ago where I talk about the sleep position! I actually don't remember having *hip* pain, to be honest, I thought the sleep thing helped me with the *pelvic* pain because I definitely remember having that!! But either way, maybe this can help and bring some comfort ...

My massage guy last week taught me a good way to sleep -- and since it totally helped with my hip pain, I pass the info on to you! I hope this makes sense ....

Say you''re lying on your left side, have your left leg (the bottom leg) straight and then bend your right (top) leg to a 90-degree angle (so, basically the fetus position with that top leg). Then place a bolster (or roll up a blanket or something that will be substantial and not mooshy -- he doesn''t recommend the j-shaped body pillows b/c they wind up being smooshed there, and he''s right -- mine is totally squished at the curved part now) under the top leg -- but don''t put it *between* your knees. That puts too much pressure on the lower leg (which can lead to pain and leg cramps). Then try to elongate the area of your upper leg between your hip and your knee as much as possible. So if I''m lying on my left side, then I find myself angling down even a little more to the left to get that stretch. He also recommends a wedge under the belly, but I found that uncomfortable, and a pillow to hug. I''m still using my snoogle or snoozer or whatever I have, but I''m bulking it up more by putting a folded fleece blanket on top the part near my legs (the fleece does not help with the night sweats -- aaack!).

Seriously, my hip pain was getting brutal before the massage, and now I''ve had maybe two slight twinges of it since last Friday -- it''s heaven!! I thought I was sleeping right beforehand, but NOT sleeping on that bottom leg has made all the difference (well, that and probably still some aftereffects from the massage itself?). Most of you guys are still probably too early on to experience the hip pains but hopefully if you can sleep this way, it will preempt you from getting the pains in the first place!

I totally second this way of sleeping!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1301438173|2882963 said:
ellaila|1301426233|2882800 said:

I totally second this way of sleeping!

......and I third this way of sleeping! That's exactly how I slept every night.

I definitely had the evil crotch pain....and it started pretty early for me too (maybe around 24 weeks I think??). Trying to move both legs as one unit whenever possible is very helpful. Getting in and out of the car was really hard! The good news is, the pain went away in the first day or two after birth, and now 3 months out I feel totally normal again, not even "loose" in my joints or anything.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had it with Kimberly. It hurt so bad it would take me 20 minutes just to get up from the bed (I was on bedrest for half her pregnancy because #1 was 5 weeks early, and the doctor thought she would be too). I BEGGED to be induced early with her! My entire pelvic girdle just ached, my hips hurt like hell, and my pubic bone felt like it was snapping in two when I tried to sit up at the side of the bed.

She was due on May 16th, but the OB finally told me that if I made it to May 1st with her, he'd induce me that week. So, I made it to the first, gained 75 pound (thank you, bedrest), and he kept his word. We induced on 5/4/00, and she was born weighing 8lbs, 9oz, 22.5 inches long with a 16" chest! She didn't even look like a newborn, and wore 3-6 month outfits as soon as we got home. She was my monster baby.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Winks_Elf|1303095571|2898871 said:
I had it with Kimberly. It hurt so bad it would take me 20 minutes just to get up from the bed (I was on bedrest for half her pregnancy because #1 was 5 weeks early, and the doctor thought she would be too). I BEGGED to be induced early with her! My entire pelvic girdle just ached, my hips hurt like hell, and my pubic bone felt like it was snapping in two when I tried to sit up at the side of the bed.

She was due on May 16th, but the OB finally told me that if I made it to May 1st with her, he'd induce me that week. So, I made it to the first, gained 75 pound (thank you, bedrest), and he kept his word. We induced on 5/4/00, and she was born weighing 8lbs, 9oz, 22.5 inches long with a 16" chest! She didn't even look like a newborn, and wore 3-6 month outfits as soon as we got home. She was my monster baby.

Yeah, the evil crotch pain was the worst... So glad that's over! Now I just have a huge incision in my belly to worry about!

How nice that you were able to induce early with your daughter... Can you imagine how huge she would have been if she had went to full term?!? :errrr:

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Well crap.
The ECP is starting here for me at 29 weeks. Ive had twinges every so often since around 27 weeks, but now when I stand I get pretty sore in the crotch. Maybe TMI, but its more in the front than the "vaginal" area so I don't feel like baby girl is pressing down.
The weird part is I really am still carrying pretty high. Her kicks are all at the very top, and little feet run up and down my rib cage. I have a watermelon belly, not a basketball.

Ugggh. I did not want to get out of bed today, nor do I want to stand up after I've been sitting down. Once I get walking though, it eases up and im able to move without as much hammering.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
charbie~ Sorry for the ECP. It definitely feels different from the vaginal or pressing pain. Keep your knees together as much as possible. good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results