shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a good (easy) guacamole recipe?

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Please share!! I have been making avocado for the little guy and DH has been begging me for guacamole but I have never made it and don't have a good recipe. We're having a house warming party tomorrow so I figured I'd make some for that and please the hubby! :wacko: Thanks!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
This might sound plain but I've seen a few authentic mexican cooking shows, which stated that guacamole is simply: Mashed or blended avocadoes with freshly squeezed lime juice.

Although the lime juice keeps the guacamole from turning brown, if you keep the avocado pit in the middle or your guacamole dish (before serving) this will also keep your guacamole from turning brown.

If you want to add a little zing to a mexican dish (either rice based or even tortillas/fajitas) try out these onions:

Chop red onions (as many as you need) and marinate them in freshly squeezed orange juice and freshly squeezed lime juice overnight. Just make sure you have enough juice to cover the onions. (the next day you will have the tastiest onions to add to your dish or salsa... omelettes... anything really).

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Burk-

What I typically make is similar to Altons (but I don't measure ;))

For me, the essential flavors are: avocado, garlic, acid (lemon, lime, or vinegar--with lime being my favorite), and cilantro and I like the texture of diced red onion and tomato.

That being said, you can make some great "ghetto guacamole" with just avocados, sri racha or chili/garlic paste, and chili powder.

It's hard to make a bad guac from scratch:)

We went to Dos Caminos SoHo for my birthday last night and had the best guac I have ever tasted. not sure what they did, but it was amazing!!!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
The version I make for us to eat is just avocado, sour cream, taco sauce and garlic salt. I'm not much for chunks of tomato or onion, but the simplest version I've seen is just salsa mixed in to mashed avocado.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never made guacamole before but I didn't know that leaving the pit in it helped keep it from turning brown. Huh.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The guac I always make for parties gets rave reviews and people always ask how I make it. I am like what do you mean? I had no idea there were full recipes for guac!!

I just mash avocadoes, dice onion and tomatoes, and mix with a little lime juice (to prevent discoloration) and salt.

But all our fave down home mexican restaurants just basically serve mashed avocados with salt as guac.

Guac with sour cream to me is more along the lines of that 7 layer bean dip thing. Which I also LOVE. My grandma makes it for parties and it's mowed down. Anything with avocados!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I make mine to taste, pretty much the way Bella does. I like it tangy and creamy, so I go heavy on the lime (or lemon) juice. And while it's not authentic in any way, a friend told me that a little dash of Lowry's Seasoning Salt is great in guac...I was pretty skeptical at first, but it really does work! A little goes a long way, though, so if you try it, don't go overboard!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
The Mexican recipe for Guacamole is:
2 Ripe Avocados (skin should be black, inside should be green)
1 TBSP diced Cilantro
Diced Serrano or Jalepeño chilis (1-2 chilis depends how spice you like)
1/2 Cup Diced Onions
1/2 Cup Diced Tomatoes
1 TBSP of milk (just a dash to smooth it out and prevent it from turning brown)

Split the avocados and remove the pits. Place them in bowl with the teansy bit of milk. Mash the Avocados and cilantro until smooth. Mix in salt to taste. Mix in small amounts of chilis to desired spicy-ness. Mix in onions and tomatoes.

Bella, this the recipe they use in Mexico and very similar to Dos Caminos. Lime is typically not used in traditional guac, but a very small (<<<< 1 TSP) amount can be added for storage.

Gaby

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Here's the ingredientents I use, but I don't measure I just add to taste: mashed avocado, diced tomatoes, finely chopped red onion, lime juice, kosher salt, minced garlic, and cilantro.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone!! I knew I could count on PS! I'm off to make some now......

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um...I like to use the packet of seasoning usually offered in the produce department next to the tomatoes and avocados...the recipe on the back of the seasoning packet just calls for two avocados and two tomatoes. You can add diced white onion. *hangs head in shame* I do know to add lemon or lime juice to prevent discoloring...have never had any complaints about my guac thus far! Hope yours turns out great, these recipes sound fab!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! I buy it frozen and pre-made - Sam's had a great brand. Perrrrfect every time! ;)) I'm really just not good enough at picking/finding ripe avocadoes, and never when I need them, therefore....

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I love to cook but I stick with the little packet of seasoning and a couple of avocados...haha

I found an awesome premade product in the produce section of our grocery store...it's made fresh so you have to use it up within a few days or freeze it.....so yummy........and easy. :lol:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gempassion said:
If you want to add a little zing to a mexican dish (either rice based or even tortillas/fajitas) try out these onions:

Chop red onions (as many as you need) and marinate them in freshly squeezed orange juice and freshly squeezed lime juice overnight. Just make sure you have enough juice to cover the onions. (the next day you will have the tastiest onions to add to your dish or salsa... omelettes... anything really).

great idea re the onions!

mz

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I'm not picky when it comes to avocado, icecream you name it.
I don't measure, just mash the avocados add minced onion, salt, few drops of fresh lime juice and sometimes cilantro when I feel like it. Pushing Saran wrap to cover all the surface keeps it green for hours.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
Um...I like to use the packet of seasoning usually offered in the produce department next to the tomatoes and avocados...the recipe on the back of the seasoning packet just calls for two avocados and two tomatoes. You can add diced white onion. *hangs head in shame* I do know to add lemon or lime juice to prevent discoloring...have never had any complaints about my guac thus far! Hope yours turns out great, these recipes sound fab!

I use that too! And I think it's better than any other spice combination I've tried. Sometimes I add in home made pico de gallo, but others I just add a hint of salt and cilantro.

Nom nom nom...

Hera

Ideal_Rock
OUpearlgirl said:
monarch64 said:

I use that too! And I think it's better than any other spice combination I've tried. Sometimes I add in home made pico de gallo, but others I just add a hint of salt and cilantro.

Nom nom nom...

I do too. I like that it doesn't taste overly limed. I know that adding that would avoid it from discoloring but I just leave the pit in and eat it within one day. No leftover guacamole for me! :knockout:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i had no idea there was a 'packet of seasoning' for guac. i am going to have to try this and see what it's like.

i bought 2 avocado's for J last nite and plan to give him 1/4 of one and eat the rest myself!! :lol:

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just made some last night....

Avocados
Salsa
Lemon juice (didn't have any lime...)
Garlic
Salt

All smashed together. YUM!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I hope Lauren the Partier chimes in here. I am pretty sure her hubby makes a mean guac!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
One thing I notice on Alton's recipe is cumin. I live just a few hours from the Mexico border and have never heard of anyone down here using cumin in guac. It seems to be more of a Northern thing (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).

I make mine similar to Gaby06...
Avocados
Onion
Cilantro
Lime/Lemon Juice
Sometimes salt and lemon pepper
and I usually don't put tomatoes or peppers but its good both ways.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Just FYI...I just saw in passing a report that the ready made stuff (not sure of the brand) had been recalled and I thought of this thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results