shape
carat
color
clarity

Allergies and Pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock

I posted this in the pregnancy thread, but I need to post again....I''m so miserable!
I am having the worst allergies (at least what I think are allergies) right now....the worst I can ever remember having. I am completely miserable...nonstop running nose, sneezing, or the constant itch to sneeze. I''m out of town on business and needless to say, flying on the company plane didn''t help. My doctor said sudafed was fine to take, but the internet said different for 1st trimester and that it''s unsafe. That''s just great! Benadryl doesn''t help at all except make me pass out. I would love to be passed out right now, but that''s not possible. HELP!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I have terrible allergies so I can totally relate. Nothing over-the-counter works for me, however. Do you take something like Zertec or Claritin? They have both of those over-the-counter and my allergist said they''re both safe during pregnancy. When you get back into town, I would make an appointment with your allergist ASAP. Allergies can make you miserable! So sorry for what you''re going through!
7.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and if you''re having problems sleeping because you feel so crappy (I usually cough and sneeze all night long) my OB said to just take Tylenol PM....perfectly safe and you always feel better when you get some sleep. Good luck!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Burk! I actually did some research online and took some Zrytec. It doesn''t seem to helping much. I''m starting to wonder if it''s even allergies. Is it possible I have a cold and if so, do allergy meds not work?? I never know the difference.

I''m in the 1st trimester also, so it''s really scary to me. People say to avoid everything but tylenol in the 1st, but I am just miserable to where I want to cry.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 3:00:21 PM
Author: Courtneylub
thanks Burk! I actually did some research online and took some Zrytec. It doesn''t seem to helping much. I''m starting to wonder if it''s even allergies. Is it possible I have a cold and if so, do allergy meds not work?? I never know the difference.

I''m in the 1st trimester also, so it''s really scary to me. People say to avoid everything but tylenol in the 1st, but I am just miserable to where I want to cry.
Courtney, I''m on a huge list of meds - one of which has serious contraindications in pregnancy - sometimes it''s a case of waying of the risk/benefit ratio.

You may find that you just have the pregnancy thing - since I got KTFU I have had a stuffy nose, sneezed a lot and a bit of a sore throat. So it may not be allergies.

If it''s a cold then there''s nothing you can do - colds are viral, so just do the hot drink, paracetamol thing.

You really need to go and see a doctor - every med going will pretty much say not to take while you are pregnant, a doctor will know which is a real risk and which aren''t.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re having nose and sinus problems, try a neti pot. You rinse out your sinuses with saline and you will find relief without the use of medications. I use the neti pot when I have a cold. For severe allergies you need to do it at least twice a day for best results. You can do the rinse as frequently as you like.

This is the brand I use but there are others: link. I don''t use the squeeze bottle, I use the teapot shaped one.

Hope this helps!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Goldenstar - Thanks for the suggestion. I will try anything at this point. DH just picked up a kit for me.

Pandora - The whole benefit vs. risk thing is frustrating, but I do understand it.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Courtneylub: I am a toxicologist specializing in neonatal health (we provide medication safety information to physicians, pharmacists and counsel pregnant women as well), and I just wanted to tell you that Sudafed is completely safe for use in the first trimester of pregnancy. Might be too late for you, but just wanted to share in case you have allergies again.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 4:33:05 PM
Author: goldenstar
If you're having nose and sinus problems, try a neti pot. You rinse out your sinuses with saline and you will find relief without the use of medications. I use the neti pot when I have a cold. For severe allergies you need to do it at least twice a day for best results. You can do the rinse as frequently as you like.

This is the brand I use but there are others: link. I don't use the squeeze bottle, I use the teapot shaped one.

Hope this helps!

I was just going to suggest a neti pot. I don't have allergies, but I get sinus infections a lot (have one now, actually). I just bought a neti pot and I tried it a while ago. It worked pretty well. I bought the "SinuCleanse" kit.

ETA: I hope you feel better soon, Courtney!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results