shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on buying a washing machine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mel047

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies,

Thought you might be able to give me some useful advice...

Sadly, my washing machine broke. I''m looking to replace and don''t have much to spend.
Ideally I''d like to get a front load energy efficient one.

Any recommendations?

Also, is it dumb to buy just a washer when most of the deals are on a washer and dryer? What about the washer and dryer going out at different times since I''m only replacing one of them?

Any thoughts? Really appreciate the advice! Thanks in advance!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
hard to say, you might save more getting them both and if the dryer is more energy efficient you could save too.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If your dryer still works can you sell it on Craigslist and put the money towards a matching set? I love my LG from Best Buy. Front loaders and stacked. Saves me a lot of space.

Sometimes they have returns or one''s with scratches or dents. The sell them for a reduced price.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Well, we got a practically brand new front loader on craigslist. Retails for $1000, we got it for $200 (the people had just moved in and were selling the washer that came with the new house since they already had one). You can find some great deals there!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Probably the Whirlpool Duet Sport would be the best choice.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I bought a front-loader washer but not the matching dryer (just got same brand, same size regular dryer, so they look ok together) and saved $300. Consumer Reports said that front-loader washers save a lot of energy and water, but the dryer just has to have a moisture sensor. Of course, when selling our house one day potential buyers might wonder about it, but my FIL was buying it for us and I didn''t feel right asking them to spend that much extra money when I didn''t feel it was money well spent.

So I''d say replace just the washer, and be mismatched until the dryer breaks or you decide to sell your house.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 3:22:18 AM
Author: pennquaker09
Probably the Whirlpool Duet Sport would be the best choice.
This is exactly what I would get if only my laundry "room" was large enough. Sadly, the door is only 24" wide, so that really limits my choices. Everyone I know who has a Duet absolutely loves it.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Hubby and I need something stackable, but I want the biggest washer I can get, so I have been trying to stay away from the combo units. And we are trying to be frugal, so even though I want steam, I don''t think that is going to happen. *Sigh*

We are leaning towards this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100529099&N=10000003+90401+500022+780

It is the cheapest front-loader I can find, it is energy efficient, and it has pretty good reviews. We are probably also going to get the matching dryer as well.

mel047

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the advice ladies! I ended up purchasing a washer this weekend, and decided to wait on the dryer. Your comments were super helpful so I greatly appreciate it!

fatafelice-
I ended up getting the exact same washer you''re looking at and I love it! Also, just so you know, if there''s a Lowe''s around you, it''s a lot cheaper there! The Lowe''s I went to was having sale: 10% off of energy star washers and dryers. I don''t know if this sale applies at your local Lowe''s, but it''s definitely worth checking out. Plus, they have a rebate for free delivery and haul away...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=256879-2251-LTF2140FS&lpage=none

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Mel - Thanks for the tip! Lowes didn''t have it online, but I will check out the store.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results