shape
carat
color
clarity

help: 2 carat, round diamond purchase... blue nile

shaunuk

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

So I've spent the last four days researching and looking at various diamonds both online and in stores. What i've found is stores are a bit more pricey, however you can't really beat the actual experience of looking at the diamond. (Store owners always sigh when I say i've researched online).

What I'm looking for is...

2.0 - 2.1 carats
G-J color (although in store i've seen some Js and I'm not happy with how yellow they look!)
VVS1 - SI1 Clarity (i've seen some SI1's in store, look nice, but I worry about purchasing online)
Excellent cut, polish, symmetry (do I need all these to be excellent or is very good, very good haha)
Flurouecence... I've heard so many mixed reviews, as long as it's not "cloudy" I don't mind.
Certification - GIA, HRD, AGS (gia seems to be the most common and best reviewed)
Medium girdle
No cullet
£10,000 - £15,000 ($16,000 - $25,000 USD) -- including VAT (20% tax)

I also found some reviews about blue nile and have been tweaking searching for diamonds by the table and depth angles.

Table 53-58
Depth 59.5-62.5

I've been punching that plus the table and depth into a online HCA analyser (www.pricescope.com/tools/hca) and trying to find a diamond scoring less than 2.0

Phew! So after all that, my questions are

1) Am I looking too much into this? I basically want the best eye-clean 2.0 carat that I can find for my money.
2) Blue Nile: I've found a few stones, those of color I and above tend to score badly in the HCA tool so I have to drop the clarity to SI1.
3) SI1 - in stores i've seen eye clean diamonds, but I worry about purchasing one of these online.. thoughts?
4) Apart from the Carat size, am I better to get a better "color" diamond or focus on "clarity" and go with an I-J diamond.

One of the diamonds I found on blue nile has the specs below

2.01, ideal, I, VS1, 62.2% depth, 57% table, excellent excellent excellent, medium to slightly thick girdle, no cullet, strong fluorescence, £10,624. Scored 1.7 on the HCA tool.

Anyway much help appreciated. £14,000 - £15,000 really is my budget, I've been with my girl for 8 years and love her to pieces. Taking her to a castle in Germany in December (should be snow covered), and want to propose and hopefully win her for the rest of my life... :)

Shaun

dar7

Rough_Rock
Lucky girl! Don't forget Blue Nile has a 30 day return policy and they are not unfamiliar with customers sending stones back & forth if you don't love it after you see it. What I've learned is everything can look good on paper & then you see the diamond and it doesn't sprak to you. You will know when you see it if you love it. In my personal experience! Congrats & good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results