shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aimee0474

Rough_Rock
I just bought this stone and I am looking for some opinions on it. It is a ruby that is 13 ctw. I got it at an auction.

I am not to sure about the quality of the stone?? I know it isnt great but how bad is it really?

ruby 13.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From your picture it looks like semi translucent to opaque with heavy inclusions. This type of material is mostly used for cabachon cutting and for carving because it is nice and inexpensive.

As long as you did not pay more than a few dollars for the piece you did just fine.

Wink

mogok

Shiny_Rock
This ruby photograph looks to me to show a typical material from africa: brownish red with a lot of polysynthetic twinning. Its not a great stone for sure for many reasons:
The transparency looks very limited, the stone looks translucent more than transparent.
The clarity is very low, its nearly cabochon material...
the color looks very brownish (but there is the photo and the screen effect...)so I suppose its an iron rcih material with a limited fluorescence... I repeat: I suppose.
Only the cut looks correct (I mean symetric)...
To my opinion it is a typical low quality stone that you find on ebay. It is not a bad stone if you learn from it or if for some reason you begin to loke it: Not everybody looks like a top model,... For gems, beauty, art and human: there is no standart that really stand.
This stone clearly does not have real value, that's it...

But take my opinion as it is: I like "open" stones, with a good luster, bright, with a good transparency and a fine clarity... I love a stone to have some "tale tale" inclusions under microscope but I love my stones to be near eye clean... I've a particular dislike for any kind of treatment, as I prefer to pay double to get a native potato than a heated symmetric clean commercial calibrated thing...

That's what I think very honestly about this photo. I dont have seen the stone so please take this opinion as it is: An opinion on a photograph not a stone... To tell you correctly the thing I would need to see the stone.

All the best,

aimee0474

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the honest opinion. I figured as much but only paid a few dollars for it, so not a big loss.

Aimee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results