shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on Sapphire and half moon side CADs

syd

Shiny_Rock
I've got the CADs in from ERD and I'm now wondering whether the sidetones are too big for the centre stone. A couple of other tweaks I would request are claw prongs and the stones be set even lower (if that is possible). I would welcome any comments on these images. Any opinions on the size of the side diamonds?

salome_1.jpg

salome_2.jpg

salome_3.jpg

salome_4.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, its lovely Syd! How exciting. As far as lowering the stones, it appears from the CAD side view, that you might have a little room to play, but not much, as you will be limited by the depth of the sapphire. As to the sides, it feels to me that if you were to change them at all, they should be slightly smaller, and slightly wider, if you kwim. It might just be the CAD but right now, they look slightly too sliverish for the width of the sapphire. HTH.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think I'd go with them a tiny bit smaller too. At least from the top in the CAD, the look is a little heavy somehow. It's gonna be a smashing ring, though!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd go a wee bit smaller as well. I also don't know that you'll be able to make the profile any lower if the CADs are representing the depth of the sapphire accurately.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go smaller too. How do you feel about the angle of the moons? I think they would be better if they weren't angled downwards so much.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with fatter shorter moons. I don't think the length works for me. To enhance the centre stone they need to be a little less long.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
misskittycat|1398242242|3658405 said:
I would go with fatter shorter moons. I don't think the length works for me. To enhance the centre stone they need to be a little less long.

I agree. Look at the third photo of your CAD, the ends of the half moons protrude out from the side of the sapphire, i would want them smaller so that they can neatly tuck under the side of the stone, i don't think you woill want to see any part of the flat side of the half moons.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such an elegant ring. :appl: I love it but would prefer if the half-moons are shorter. They should come up to the shoulders (2/3) of the sapphire. I'm not sure if having them fatter would be better as one approaches the funky "ears sticking out" look. Due to the depth of the sapphire, it cannot be set any lower.

syd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all your opinions! Mark is going to find a smaller pair of half moons for me. He said he will try to set the stones as low as possible, but we are restricted by the depth of the sapphire.

Freke, do you think the slanting diamonds look odd? A lot of the three stone designs I have seen online have the side stones slanting, and I thought that way there will be bling from all views. I actually haven't seen a lot of handshots of three stone rings. Please post if you find any!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
syd|1398274958|3658625 said:
Thanks for all your opinions! Mark is going to find a smaller pair of half moons for me. He said he will try to set the stones as low as possible, but we are restricted by the depth of the sapphire.

Freke, do you think the slanting diamonds look odd? A lot of the three stone designs I have seen online have the side stones slanting, and I thought that way there will be bling from all views. I actually haven't seen a lot of handshots of three stone rings. Please post if you find any!
I think a slant is necessary, but I feel like the angle of that one is a touch extreme, and isn't helping the "sliver" look.
It looks like the table of the diamonds follows the angle of the crown of the sapphire pretty closely. It's a personal preference, but my preference would be to see more of the moons from face on, since that's the view you'll see most of the time.

I would not put all three stones flat - because of the depth of the sapphire, I think that would look more awkward than what you have now.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I would do a slighter slant, too. Or can they we set lower relative to e sapphire. Not sure if that's possible. Anyway, so elegant! Can't wait to see the end result!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So they would be proportionally wider if you get them slightly smaller in length, correct? Because I really don't think you want them to be any thinner than they are now...

syd

Shiny_Rock
Mark said that if the half moons have been cut properly the width and length will both decrease. However if I ask for them to be less slanted, maybe the width will look ok from the top? He is going to send me a new set of CADs. He has picked out a pair of half moons of tcw of 0.65 vs the tcw of 1 in the first CADs. The length is now 6mm the length of the sapphire is 10.35mm.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not the nicest sapphire or workmanship but I like the proportion of the half moon sides to the center stone.

6070_main.jpg

syd

Shiny_Rock
Chrono that's the exact picture I had sent to Mark to describe what I was looking for! Yup, I hope the setting looks much better than that though!

syd

Shiny_Rock
Been fighting the mother of all colds and just feeling well enough now to post the revised CADs. Please give opinions!! I think a reduced slant would make the diamonds more visible from the top, but the slant wouldn't be in line with the sapphire anymore. Would this make the setting look off?

I questioned why the trellis isn't of consistent thickness, and Mark said it has to be thicker by the sapphire so that the setting is structurally sound. If he made it thicker by the diamonds it would overwhelm them.

I think I'm happy with the size of the diamonds now. Thoughts?

salome_0.jpg

salome_5.jpg

salome_6.jpg

salome_7.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
syd|1399060112|3665218 said:
Been fighting the mother of all colds and just feeling well enough now to post the revised CADs. Please give opinions!! I think a reduced slant would make the diamonds more visible from the top, but the slant wouldn't be in line with the sapphire anymore. Would this make the setting look off?
I like the size of the moons a lot more now too.

The slant/angle of the diamonds is a personal preference, but I went and collected a few various looks for you. It's very difficult to find pictures of the profile, and pictures exactly face on of the same ring, so I kind of gave up on that. I'll post some pics for you.

The pink one is similar to what the CAD looks like now.

The violet would have a more horizontal look to the profile with the angle of the diamonds.

TGal's pad ring. I think that it's sort of between the two others in this post.

half_moons2.jpeg

sapphire_half_moon.jpg

tgal3.jpg

tgal.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the way the cushion diamond one looks.

Pink is probably not horizonal, but not as tilted as yours.

This is my blue topaz ring - it has traps as the sides, but it's the same principle. The traps are completely horizontal, so you see the entire face of the stone from face on.

Personally, I would prefer to see more of the diamonds from face on. I don't think anyone is going to notice that their angle doesn't follow the angle of the crown facets.

half_moons.jpeg

pinksapring2.jpg

blue_topaz3__2_.jpg

blue_43.jpg

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I like the size of the latest half moon sides. To get the look of the example, I would lower them so they're slightly tucked under the main sapphire, and change the angle slightly so they're less tilted, and more surface area is visible in the face up view.

Thanks for sharing the process with us, and looking forward to seeing how it all pans out!

syd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting all the pictures Freke! I have asked Mark to reduce the slant on the diamonds slightly. I don't want the horizontal look, but do want a better view of the diamonds from the top.

Now the waiting game....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post 'em when you get 'em! This looks like a great ring. Do you have a thread on the center stone?

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I love this thread, as I have a cushion sapphire with half moons. In hindsight my setting is totally wrong but I can't afford to get it reset as I am in the UK and there is nobody in budget that I would trust to remake it.

I do like the size of the half moons on the second CAD, but I do agree with the comments from Freke about the angle of them, it just seems a little bit off. I love the way the prongs will look for the half moons as they really show off as much of the stone as possible.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the slant is till too steep and lessening it will allow you to see more of the diamonds yet still keep with the flow. Although the ring below is a a standard basket, not a trellis, there is a slight curvature to follow the shape of the finger that allows the sidestones to show up well face up.

I don't know how detail orientated you want to be but I was wondering if you might want to consider softening the trellis joint. As of now, it looks like 2 round wires coming together into a square shank. I would prefer it if the transition can be made more fluid.

salome_9.jpg

salome_10.jpg

syd

Shiny_Rock
Good observation Chrono! I had noticed that but thought it might just be something to do with CAD images and in real life would be smoothed out. I'll mention it to be sure though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wording isn't precise enough; tell ERD to make the transition section into a V shape, so the single trellis wire will nestle into the vee of the double trellis.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results