shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Holy Grail of Gem Purchases

CYIW

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Well, inspired by another thread (and prompted gently by Minous!), I've started this thread so that people can put up the specs (including price range), pics (or whatever) of their "ideal" stone i.e the ONE (maybe two) stone you've been looking for as long as you can remember (for the right price of course). It's your "holy grail" of stones. Many people buy a lot of different stones and many people post up specs of stones they are currently considering. But I'm talking about the one you really, really want - the "one" - at the ideal (but fairly realistic) price you want it at. It's the stone that would "complete you" ;-)

If you post, you never know, someone might just have an idea where you can find it! But mainly it would just be fun to see!

If someone has already made a post like this,or it's kind of silly, then just ignore this lol.

It would also be interesting to know how long you've been on your quest for your holy grail!

Here is my "holy grail" stone:

Specs: 8.5 x 8.5 blue sapphire round or cushion (9 x 8) or (10 x 8)
Colour, Saturation, Tone: (I think the stone I posted here is close to my "grail" colour, saturation, tone:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/thoughts-on-this-sapphire-t184509.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/thoughts-on-this-sapphire-t184509.html[/URL]
Price: $6k
Cut: Symmetric shape but faceting can be slightly "off balance".
Clarity: eye-clean, no windowing etc.
Time spent searching: I've been looking for about 3 months so far.
(Actually I'm not asking for help looking for mine, I'm just kicking things off)

Hmm maybe we should also say that if you do know where someone can find their holy grail, it really has to be their holy grail..ie. meet all their specs.

Best, CYIW

CYIW

Rough_Rock
Or if you've been lucky enough to have found your holy grail post it up too! ... As well as how long it took you to find it :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid that if I post how long it took me to find the right blue spinel that effectively ended my search, it would discourage others from buying gemstones. :lol:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1359038133|3362741 said:
I am afraid that if I post how long it took me to find the right blue spinel that effectively ended my search, it would discourage others from buying gemstones. :lol:

+1!

It took me over 10 years to find my holy purple sapphire grail! Many contenders came and went but none were THE ONE!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking for my vivid Fanta orange Namibian spessartite. I call it "my" because I know its out there but I just haven't found it yet. 3+ carats, eye clean, with the glow they're known for. Its the ever so slightly reddish orange I seek. I'd love a cushion, but at this point, I'd accept any shape if it was "the one." :cheeky: I have seen a ton of spessies in hand, but they are all too pure orange, have a yellowish tint, or are just not vivid in my book. How long have I been looking? Probably 4 years. My search has gotten more refined the more stones I've seen, if that is any consolation :praise:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I have everything I want. :shock: :shock: :shock:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1359053337|3362946 said:

How long did it take though? Weeks, months or years?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1359053838|3362955 said:
FrekeChild|1359053337|3362946 said:

How long did it take though? Weeks, months or years?
Years! 5ish.

I have the big blue precision sapphire (not eyeclean, otherwise $$$$$$)
The big hot pink Mahenge spinel, a smaller cushion and some 4mm rounds (again, not eyeclean= affordable)
The larger Finewater tsavorite & smaller Barry round, plus melee and two non-precision rounds
The big blue Barry spinel
A violet asscher Peter spinel, plus two Barry cushions and a Dan purple oval
A periwinkle Barry supernova spinel
A white Barry spinel

I've been downsizing like crazy lately and reevaluating what I have and what directions I want to go next, and I can't come up with anything... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's so weird.

ETA:
I forgot to add my blue green tourmalines by Barry - Bigger round Namibian tourmaline and a smaller probable cuprian cushion.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have been looking for a rose cut, round, 7 mm white sapphire to put in my ering setting (see avatar). I know it will look glassy, but I want to use the ring as a "backup" ring when I want to wear a yellow gold wedding set

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1359054600|3362967 said:
I have been looking for a rose cut, round, 7 mm white sapphire to put in my ering setting (see avatar). I know it will look glassy, but I want to use the ring as a "backup" ring when I want to wear a yellow gold wedding set

Have you considered contacting a lapidary for this? From VintageLover's sapphire post, it seems there is a vendor who specializes in this cut in coloured stone, who will be at the Tucson show.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1359055430|3362974 said:
Have you considered contacting a lapidary for this? From VintageLover's sapphire post, it seems there is a vendor who specializes in this cut in coloured stone, who will be at the Tucson show.

Good point, Chrono! I should have thought of that, during all the Photoshopping. I will probably not be allowed to return it though, right? Hmm. If I don't do it now, I may have to wait until next year's show...things to think about. I was saving for a reset. Priorities... Do you think I could ask Gene?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene does not enjoy "cutting to order" :bigsmile: so perhaps it might be best to wait until next year's show?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That makes sense. At the same time, I don't like the idea of having someone going to the show and just getting me one because what if the cut is not good? Hmm. I will think about who to ask. Perhaps Dan Stair doesn't mind cutting to order?

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
My holy grail would be a large, precision cut blue-green / teal stone in a round, cushion, or square-ish radiant. I'm looking for that rich, 'jewel tone' kind of teal, bordering on peacock. Something in the 8mm, 9mm range.

From what I've seen so far, it seems like tourmaline is probably the way to go. This stone posted in SGBTS was the closest I've seen to the color I want, although I'm prob looking for a little more blue in stone.

1-20-13_jeff_tourm_2_preview.jpg

Or like this...apologies I forget the PSer who owns this. I think it's Arujajane or MTG?

28854.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jereni|1359065195|3363063 said:
My holy grail would be a large, precision cut blue-green / teal stone in a round, cushion, or square-ish radiant. I'm looking for that rich, 'jewel tone' kind of teal, bordering on peacock. Something in the 8mm, 9mm range.

From what I've seen so far, it seems like tourmaline is probably the way to go. This stone posted in SGBTS was the closest I've seen to the color I want, although I'm prob looking for a little more blue in stone.

1-20-13_jeff_tourm_2_preview.jpg

Or like this...apologies I forget the PSer who owns this. I think it's Arujajane or MTG?

Oh Jereni I'm sorry - I got that stone. I had asked about it a few days ago and I know there were others interested (didn't know who though).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I LOVE that stone - that one is ArjunaJane's cut by Jeff. I never got tired of staring at that one and like you, that was one of my holy grail colors as well. Oh, if only all of us had stones like that!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Jereni I'm sorry - I got that stone. I had asked about it a few days ago and I know there were others interested (didn't know who though).

Oh no problem at all! I was scared of the fracture. I'm excited you got it and can't WAIT to see when you set it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jereni,
Since both stones are faceted by Jeff, why not contact him to see if he can find something similar?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would like to spend a year or two on safari looking for my grail stones. I would buy rough at the mines or even in the mines as I would like to see where the stones come from; especially to see the stones in situ. I would like to make photo documents of the stones' extractions, sortings, cuttings and final dispositions. I would like to have a hands on experience at each of the mines I visit, and I would like to have a positive impact on them. My own spoils from said fantasy grail would be both a Pickford worthy and Rossler worthy star, a spinel from viet nam that would put windex to shame, a cobalt spinel that would match the clear sky at eight minutes before dusk, a tajili spinel that would turn the black prince white, a melo pearl and the snailboat from Dr Doolittle. I would like a fist size burma peridot, cut perfectly on the axis, and a flawless boulder of topaz from burma to make camera lenses from. While there, I would like to get some extraordinary opal from burma or lightning ridge, the kind that make the galaxy on Orion's belt look like a polished pebble, and a jade cab, about the size of a quarter, as limpid as a tsavorite and viridian as a Gainsborough.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1359071471|3363140 said:
I would like to spend a year or two on safari looking for my grail stones. I would buy rough at the mines or even in the mines as I would like to see where the stones come from; especially to see the stones in situ. I would like to make photo documents of the stones' extractions, sortings, cuttings and final dispositions. I would like to have a hands on experience at each of the mines I visit, and I would like to have a positive impact on them. My own spoils from said fantasy grail would be both a Pickford worthy and Rossler worthy star, a spinel from viet nam that would put windex to shame, a cobalt spinel that would match the clear sky at eight minutes before dusk, a tajili spinel that would turn the black prince white, a melo pearl and the snailboat from Dr Doolittle. I would like a fist size burma peridot, cut perfectly on the axis, and a flawless boulder of topaz from burma to make camera lenses from. While there, I would like to get some extraordinary opal from burma or lightning ridge, the kind that make the galaxy on Orion's belt look like a polished pebble, and a jade cab, about the size of a quarter, as limpid as a tsavorite and viridian as a Gainsborough.

Sorry, you're limited to just one.

VL, you're such a rule breaker!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1359067913|3363116 said:
Oh, I LOVE that stone - that one is ArjunaJane's cut by Jeff. I never got tired of staring at that one and like you, that was one of my holy grail colors as well. Oh, if only all of us had stones like that!

It seems that many of us are searching for stones this color! :Up_to_something: 8)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1359071868|3363147 said:
VapidLapid|1359071471|3363140 said:

Sorry, you're limited to just one.

VL, you're such a rule breaker!

One? what do you mean only one? Rubbish I say!

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you can have a holy grail without finding some lesser grails first but...

One, delightful and striking pushparaga, please.

O thanks universe, you shouldn't have.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
corundum_conundrum|1359080518|3363238 said:
I don't know if you can have a holy grail without finding some lesser grails first but...

One, delightful and striking pushparaga, please.

O thanks universe, you shouldn't have.

Now not eveyone here is familiar with your lexicon, CC. Are you talking a yellow thing or a orangypinky?

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yellowy thing, please. Yellow sapphire. I've been on the hunt for about 6 months. Maybe two more months and then I'm quitting.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I too wanted a yellow sapphire. Thought I had found some good candidates, but I had hesitations that I didn't understand, couldn't put into words. Then I found PS. I did not get any of those yellows which were not vivid (as was claimed), and it was two and a half years before I found an unheated yellow that I love love love, despite it not being the shape or size of hue I thought I HAD to have. Still there is always the possibility such a stone may present itself, but in the mean time I am more than content with the unheated yellow (sometimes straw) jua round I have from Gene, which was an eighth the cost of the stones I had considered.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I really want an 8 x 10 unheated ruby. For about $5K. I'd be willing to go to $7k.

Stop that! I can hear you all laughing from here! :)

Gemfix has one that's close to the size, and costs a bit more, but it's not very pretty.

I'll just sit here and wait some more. :read:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could remember the posters name (don't think it's Freke????) but somebody who owns lots of coloured gemstones and usually set them in LOGRs and similar has an emerald cut yellow sapphire that I'm pretty sure was unheated and is absolutely stunning - she set it in a halo. OMG it's gorgeous!

What on earth is a pushparaga??? Is that some sort of push present thing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results