shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Holy Grail of Gem Purchases

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Minous,

There is a brand new garnet that is a mix of spessartite and almondine. It is orange with a tinge of red, that I am provisionally calling Blood Orange Garnet. They are a brand new find. I bought 2 but they haven't arrived yet. I'll bet that Barry and Gene both bought some too. Just a heads up.

E_Gads apparently I have to adjust the image to compensate for the upload effect

wow, should have adjusted a little more!

bloodorangegarnet.png

_87.png

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
VL--So what color are those garnets when they are cut?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Havent seen one cut yet, that's how new this find is!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
So neat-- where are they from?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
here is what the rough dealer said:

From Tanzania - a totally new Garnet has emerged. technically, this is a mixture of Spessartite and Almandine, resulting in a rich, medium-light red-orange-pink color. These stones are remarkably clean and all are alluvial in origin.
Some of the stones show a more 'pink' hue whilst others tend towards the Malaia colors. This MUST be one of the prettiest Garnets around!! Prices are still comparitavely low but I suspect they will rise as their popularity does.

I would add that since they are alluvial, the find could be very limited and short.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know its funny - I saw those and thought they looked too dark, but what do I know? I love the word alluvial so much that I should get one just so I can go around saying "its from an alluvial deposit." Maybe I'll go have another look at his rough, see if he thinks they would cut anywhere close to my mythical color. :praise:

Good things come to those who wait and all, but hurry up please and cut yours so we can see what it looks like! :saint: 8)

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Im interested---can you direct me to where I can purchase a piece and have cut?? Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The opal reminds me of our planet Earth with the green land, blue oceans and bits of swirly white clouds, other than the fact that it is supposed to be round in shape instead of oval. :))

The garnet looks interesting, and I am surprised to read that VL's contact described it as medium light in tone. It looks dark in the picture but perhaps once cut, will lighten up?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
My holy grails

-Around 10k for a 5ct + med blue/ violet sapphire- heating is ok ( I have looked on and off for about 3 years)
-Pink Asscher in the 8mm range from Jeff- I want a light/ med pink as my preference is for a bit more pastel then saturated. This will be set in a 3 stone ring
-4ct + med green tvas pair shape to set into a HW style ring with pear sides :bigsmile: I haven't found the exact color of green I want with a pear shape so I continue to hold out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear,
Two of your holy grails can be found with a year or so, all you need is the $$$. :bigsmile:

Jeff White 8 mm pink assher: just contact him and he'll be able to do it. Pastel pinks are far easier to find than saturated pinks. Since he only cuts to order, once you let him know, all you need to do is sit back and wait.

4 ct medium green tsavorites: pear shapes are uncommon but again, just contact Vance, Prima or Bruce Bridges and then sit back and let them do the work. I take it each stone will be around 2 cts? You are very unlikely to be able to source these yourself. Medium greens are also far easier to find than medium dark greens.

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
LisaRN|1359394301|3365542 said:
minousbijoux|1359341709|3365195 said:
LisaRN|1359339018|3365148 said:
I want an excellent cut, substantial size, vivid, rose colored sapphire. That would be my holy grail stone.

This sounds great, and sorry to ask, but there are so many colors of roses - what color rose?

See that's the thing. I feel like the bride on one episode of "Say Yes to the Dress". She had this perfect shade of green that she wanted her bridesmaids to wear. The staff at the dress shop showed her every shade and she said "no, that's not it". They became frustrated and said the shade of green only existed in her head- until she saw the shade she was looking for. For me the rose color I have in my head is the perfect shade. I will know it when I see it. Until then I look........and save money for the day I find it. :)

LisaRN, I know it's not a sapphire, but have you looked at AJS Gems's selection of spinels lately? To my very inexperienced eye, AJS has several lovely spinels in varying rose colors.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
VapidLapid|1359501060|3366848 said:
here is what the rough dealer said:

From Tanzania - a totally new Garnet has emerged. technically, this is a mixture of Spessartite and Almandine, resulting in a rich, medium-light red-orange-pink color. These stones are remarkably clean and all are alluvial in origin.
Some of the stones show a more 'pink' hue whilst others tend towards the Malaia colors. This MUST be one of the prettiest Garnets around!! Prices are still comparitavely low but I suspect they will rise as their popularity does.

I would add that since they are alluvial, the find could be very limited and short.

Can someone please share with me where I may be able to purchase a piece for myself to have cut? I've been into buying rough lately, and then going to my preferred cutters to have them cut the way I like them cut. Sometimes it ends up costing more in the long run than my usual buying strategy (buying already precision-cut, or buying native cut and then recutting).

If this cannot be posted on the forum, Im pretty easy to reach. Minou I think you have my email? I'd really appreciate it....or a clue as to where to find the vendor would suffice...

Thanks.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Since 2008, I've been on a hunt for a medium-sized Hackmanite & Clinohumite. Last Nov.2011, I finally found/bought one of those two "holy grail" gems; a 7+ ct sunshine orangish-yellow Clinohumite (Tajikistan) with VVS2 clarity. I so love its color & overall presence that I've lost interest in Spess garnet after acquiring it hehe. On the other hand, still no luck in finding a clean 3-5+ ct oval/round/EC/cushion periwinkle beauty Hackmanite... Perhaps someday (but hopefully not in the next XX years :tongue: )

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
ok, i'll play. i'm looking for a true, stoplight red burma ruby. 5+ carats but given prices i've been seeing, i think it will be just around 5. don't have a strong preference for shapes yet because i haven't seen a single stone in real life that fits my parameters. and i haven't thought about settings yet, either. i'm giving myself about 4/5 years ...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slksapphire|1359623699|3368340 said:
ok, i'll play. i'm looking for a true, stoplight red burma ruby. 5+ carats but given prices i've been seeing, i think it will be just around 5. don't have a strong preference for shapes yet because i haven't seen a single stone in real life that fits my parameters. and i haven't thought about settings yet, either. i'm giving myself about 4/5 years ...

SS: there's no question we have similar taste as I find your blue sapphire ring to be exquisite; I just wished we had similar budgets!! :praise: :saint:

I hope you are availing yourself of all the contacts you established in Hong Kong when you purchased your sapphire?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blithesome71|1359610925|3368278 said:
Since 2008, I've been on a hunt for a medium-sized Hackmanite & Clinohumite. Last Nov.2011, I finally found/bought one of those two "holy grail" gems; a 7+ ct sunshine orangish-yellow Clinohumite (Tajikistan) with VVS2 clarity. I so love its color & overall presence that I've lost interest in Spess garnet after acquiring it hehe. On the other hand, still no luck in finding a clean 3-5+ ct oval/round/EC/cushion periwinkle beauty Hackmanite... Perhaps someday (but hopefully not in the next XX years :tongue: )

So, if you've really lost interest, and you *happen* to have a glowy and eye clean reddish orange Fanta spess hanging around that you no longer want, I am SO your gal! :bigsmile:

Do you set these stones, or are they just to be oggled?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if Blithesome dares to set and wear them. Clinohumite is brittle with 6 on the MOH scale. Hackamite is brittle and even softer.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vidalia|1359567062|3367387 said:
LisaRN|1359394301|3365542 said:
minousbijoux|1359341709|3365195 said:
LisaRN|1359339018|3365148 said:
I want an excellent cut, substantial size, vivid, rose colored sapphire. That would be my holy grail stone.

This sounds great, and sorry to ask, but there are so many colors of roses - what color rose?

See that's the thing. I feel like the bride on one episode of "Say Yes to the Dress". She had this perfect shade of green that she wanted her bridesmaids to wear. The staff at the dress shop showed her every shade and she said "no, that's not it". They became frustrated and said the shade of green only existed in her head- until she saw the shade she was looking for. For me the rose color I have in my head is the perfect shade. I will know it when I see it. Until then I look........and save money for the day I find it. :)

LisaRN, I know it's not a sapphire, but have you looked at AJS Gems's selection of spinels lately? To my very inexperienced eye, AJS has several lovely spinels in varying rose colors.

I did look at AJS spinels and here is my problem. I love this color- and it is 12K. :(

ajs_spinel.jpg

I saw this one of Dana's and really loved it- :)

rose_spinel.jpg

Hopefully this will satisfy my cravings for now.

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Those are both lovely colors, LisaRN. I certainly empathize with liking the expensive stones. :lol:
Good luck with the hunt.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa, I like that color as well, kind of like a crimson wine color. You've bought from Dana before, so you know what to expect, right? That sounds ominous! All I mean is that it may be a bit darker IRL...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
let me play..
I have a feeling that as soon as I find these stones, I'll lose interest in gems.
a real Uralian amethyst, it is purple in daylight and shifts to real dark-red in the evening. they have been mined out, so it is auction material.
A 4-ct bluish demantoid I once saw.
and spinel like Chrono has. (I know I have missed the train). the rest I could do without.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkteia|1359711043|3369409 said:
let me play..
I have a feeling that as soon as I find these stones, I'll lose interest in gems.
a real Uralian amethyst, it is purple in daylight and shifts to real dark-red in the evening. they have been mined out, so it is auction material.
and spinel like Chrono has. (I know I have missed the train). the rest I could do without.

Ooh, Ark, where did you see it?! I want to see it too!! A bluish demantoid is just about as close to heaven as one gets! :cheeky:

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1359651566|3368573 said:
So, if you've really lost interest, and you *happen* to have a glowy and eye clean reddish orange Fanta spess hanging around that you no longer want, I am SO your gal! :bigsmile:

Do you set these stones, or are they just to be oggled?

LOL, you mean this native cut spess? not sure if this reddish orange enough ;)) I acquired this garnet prior to "Clino"... Yup Chrono is right, it's quite soft & brittle to be worn often (Hackmanite is softer, around 5 MOH I think) I can't risk chipping/breaking this elusive gem. For now, I'm fine with ogling and feasting my eyes on it :cheeky: .. but there's this pretty (& reversible) heirloom-ish setting I'm eyeing and considering for "Clino" (when I'm confident & relax enough to have it set hehe) Cheers :wavey:

spessyg.png

clino1.jpg

oval_setting_sample.png

CYIW

Rough_Rock
Latest Updated Grail List! I was going to put it on order of length of time but i got sick of doing the list lol :) (Hope i didn't miss any1)

GRAILS FOUND:

Chrono (time spent searching: 7 years)
(1) "perfect sapphire-like blue spinel"

LD (time spent searching: 10 years)
(1) purple sapphire

FrekeChild (time spent searching: 5 years) - many stones inc. big blue precision sapphire and big hot pink Mahenge spinel

ChrisA222 (time spent searching: took forever but less than 7 yrs)
(1) blue zircon 5ct and (2) Rubellite

Blithesome71 (time spent searching: 4 years)
(1) a 7+ ct sunshine orangish-yellow Clinohumite (Tajikistan) with VVS2 clarity

Txgreeneyes (time spent wanting if not actually searching: 25 yrs)
(1) natural blue sapphire..like P Diana’s)

QUESTS IN PROGRESS:

LD (time spent searching: 4 years)
(1) a blue/lilac spinel exactly like TL's magnificent one.

Minousbijoux:

(1) (time spent searching: 4 years): "Vivid Fanta orange Namibian spessartite. I call it "my" because I know its out there but I just haven't found it yet. 3+ carats, eye clean, with the glow they're known for. It’s the ever so slightly reddish orange I seek. I'd love a cushion"

(2) (time spent searching: 1.5 years): "I have been looking for a lavenderish/pinkish/violetish spinel consistently for maybe a year and a half. The ones that are clear as water, but that give off those sparks of blues, peaches, pinks and violets."

Jereni (time spent searching: ??)
(1) "large, precision cut blue-green / teal stone in a round, cushion, or square-ish radiant. I'm looking for that rich, 'jewel tone' kind of teal, bordering on peacock. Something in the 8mm, 9mm range."

Corundum_Corundum
(1) (time spent searching: ??): "One, delightful and striking pushparaga, please."

(2) (time spent searching: 6 months): "yellow sapphire"

Vapid_Lapid (time spent searching: ??)
(1) I don't actually know what to write here lol – a snail boat.

Ilander (time spent searching: ??)
(1) "I really want an 8 x 10 unheated ruby. For about $5K. I'd be willing to go to $7k."

ArtDecoGirl (time spent searching: ??)
(1) "Three round pale pink sapphires with a touch of lilac to make my fantasy three stone, the center about 2 carats and the sides 2ctw"

Erini (time spent searching: ??)
(1) "precision cut hot pink mahenge of about 2.5 carats or more" (I just took the first on Erini's list)

pregcurious (time spent searching: ??)
(1) "a rose cut, round, 7 mm white sapphire"

MakingTheGrade (time spent searching: ??)
(1) a nice blue color change garnet and a chrome green demantoid, in the 1-2 ct range

NKOTB (time spent searching: since NKOTB saw Chrono's)
(1) lavender-blue, medium or lighter toned, with no grey, sapphire or spinel. Precision cut

CYIW (3 months, pending)
(1) cushion, round ~60mm sqr face, blue sapphire.

MichelleChan2211 (time spent searching: ??)
(1) 1 to 2 ct blue stone (shade of blue undecided, type of stone undecided).

ChrisA222 (time spent searching: ??)
(1) the perfect Merelani Mint Garnet. I’m after the elusive nicely saturated and blue modifier, and over lets say 2ct… I’m okay with any shape other than a Pear, Heart, or Emerald-Cut. I am OK with other rectagular shapes such as Radiants or Brilliant Octagons, but I cannot have just plain step-cutting.

Tara3056 (time spent searching: several months)
(1) A medium to med-dark green with blueish hint tsavorite, round, well-cut, 5.2-6mm and,
(2) A matched pair of 5mm round Mahenge spinels for earrings. The hot neon pink to reddish-pink color.

Txgreeneyes (time spent searching: ??)
(1) a true paraiba tourmaline ring or necklace. Heated is okay and,
(2) an unheated and untreated emerald ring.

LisaRN (time spent searching: ??)
(1) an excellent cut, substantial size, vivid, rose colored sapphire.

Rosebloom (time spent searching: 2 years)
(1) an opal in a pear shape. A black opal (with dark blue-black background) with broad strokes of emerald green and sapphire blue. A touch of red is fine but its really the blue and green I'm after. A rolling flash would be ever so nice. I'd like something bigger than 2 carats. It will be a pendant (with a blue sapphire halo I think!). Ideally I'd love to spend under $1,500 but could stretch for the perfect stone and,
(2) an intense pinkish red rubellite. Precision cut (or at least very well cut). No color fading in different lights. Eye cleanish (not super fussy about this though). Round, oval, cushion preferred but will be happy with most any shape. I'd like something around 3-5 carats. For an occasional wear ring.

Sarahbear621 (time spent searching: 3 years)
(1) Around 10k for a 5ct + med blue/ violet sapphire- heating is ok
(2) Pink Asscher in the 8mm range from Jeff- I want a light/ med pink as my preference is for a bit more pastel then saturated. This will be set in a 3 stone ring
(3) 4ct + med green tvas pair shape to set into a HW style ring with pear sides I haven't found the exact color of green I want with a pear shape so I continue to hold out.

Blithesome71 (time spent searching: 4 years)
(1) a clean 3-5+ ct oval/round/EC/cushion periwinkle beauty Hackmanite

slksapphire (time spent searching:???:?)
(1) a true, stoplight red burma ruby. 5+ carats but given prices i've been seeing, i think it will be just around 5. don't have a strong preference for shapes yet because i haven't seen a single stone in real life that fits my parameters.

Arkteia (time spent searching: ??)
(1) a real Uralian amethyst, it is purple in daylight and shifts to real dark-red in the evening. they have been mined out, so it is auction material.
(2) A 4-ct bluish demantoid
(3) spinel like Chrono has

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, CYIW, who knew when you started this thread that you would be creating one of the most popular threads around?

Thank you so much! :appl: :wavey:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1359746000|3369784 said:
Arkteia|1359711043|3369409 said:
let me play..

Ooh, Ark, where did you see it?! I want to see it too!! A bluish demantoid is just about as close to heaven as one gets! :cheeky:
Just twice. Once at a show, Pala had an antique pendant for sale. I can not comment on the color, it was somewhat unusual for a demantoid. but the sparkle was amazing, and the stones were not brilliant cut. I was told that old material was different from what is sold now.
and another time, in a different country (guess
where?), and from very trusted vendors, but at a very high price. You'd notice it immediately, even on a huge lot, it stands out. Famtastic brilliance.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why can't you comment on the color?!! Don't leave me here drooling all over the floor! :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: I thought that's what you'd tell us about - the color! Waaahhhhh

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am curious now to read of this unusual demantoid colour. If not green with either some blue or yellow, what can it be? :confused:

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
Mb, I will definitely reach out to dick again, even if I move! I just want to enjoy the search and learn as much about rubies as I can before pulling the trigger. As I might have mentioned, I am a little different from many posters here as i own/wear virtually no jewelry rather than my wedding set, a plain round diamond solitaire and eternity band, and of course my sapphire ring. But I have learned so much on pricescope and admire all of you gem collectors and your pretties. I am definitely a lover of the color world!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slksapphire,
I highly doubt you can find the ruby on your own. Such a high quality ruby in that size range will not be just sitting around in someone's inventory. Expect to pay at least 6 figures to 7 figures for a 5 ct untreated Burmese ruby of vivid colouration. Your best bet is at a big name auction like Sotherby's. Although I own a few rings, I rarely wear them, which makes me a little different from other PSers too. I prefer to admire gems than to wear them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results