shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Holy Grail of Gem Purchases

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Three round pale pink sapphires with a touch of lilac to make my fantasy three stone, the center about 2 carats and the sides 2ctw... This would be so very lovely, sigh...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
LD|1359128425|3363392 said:
I wish I could remember the posters name (don't think it's Freke????) but somebody who owns lots of coloured gemstones and usually set them in LOGRs and similar has an emerald cut yellow sapphire that I'm pretty sure was unheated and is absolutely stunning - she set it in a halo. OMG it's gorgeous!

What on earth is a pushparaga??? Is that some sort of push present thing?

I am pretty confident that CC is not gunning for a push present.
Pushparagam is Joytish-speak for a fine yellow sapphire. Do you remember some months ago that persone came in here with an enormous yellow sapphire,, flawless, blah blah blah, finally she sent it to a lab which could not decide if it was natural or synth? She called that on pushparagma too, that's when I first heard it.

Apparently it is quite the magic stone!

"Yellow sapphire Physical properties:-

Sapphires , are simply crystallized alumina and in their pure form is devoid of any colour. Sapphires are found in various colours which include pink, blue, green, yellow, orange and white. In India, yellow sapphire is known as pukhraj, (Pushpa ragam or pushya ragam) and blue sapphire is known as neelam. It has a specific gravity of 3.99, mean refractive index 1.765 and hardness of nine on the moth's scale. Occurrence Sapphires are found In India, Brazil, Sri Lanka, Russia, Thailand, Australia,U.S.A. ,U.S. , Nepal, Mexico, Zambia and Nigeria

Astrological Use:-

The best of all stones in the Navarathnas family that bestows the wearer all riches, wisdom, health and knowledge of the ultimate. Girls immensely benefit by this stone for finding their life partners. Physical ailments such as biliousness, chronic liver complaints and gall bladder stones etc can be successfully remedied by this stone if suggested by an expert astrologer. The stone represents Jupiter the biggest planet in the solar system.

It improves vision, gives life security, protects ones from poverty, removes and melancholy. In diseases, it cures diarrhoea, gastritis, ulcer, rheumatism, jaundice, insomnia, heart troubles, impotency, gout, arthritis ,pain in knee joints, etc. It should be worn in gold, on 1st finger of right hand on a Thursday in bright half of the lunar month.. The weight should be more than six grams."!!

Of course a six gram (30 carat) sapphire worn on any finger is likely to improve many of one's troubles.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1359130442|3363424 said:
I wish I could remember the posters name (don't think it's Freke????) but somebody who owns lots of coloured gemstones and usually set them in LOGRs and similar has an emerald cut yellow sapphire that I'm pretty sure was unheated and is absolutely stunning - she set it in a halo. OMG it's gorgeous!

I am pretty confident that CC is not gunning for a push present.
Pushparagam is Joytish-speak for a fine yellow sapphire. Do you remember some months ago that persone came in here with an enormous yellow sapphire,, flawless, blah blah blah, finally she sent it to a lab which could not decide if it was natural or synth? She called that on pushparagma too, that's when I first heard it.

Interesting and thanks for that VL! I thought that Jyotish was only reserved for astrology! I've never heard it used with gemstones. Don't recall the thread you mean but there's been so many of those threads just recently :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Are you thinking of LaurenThePartier?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1359139049|3363528 said:

Are you thinking of LaurenThePartier?

I most definitely am! Thank you Freke! Apologies for getting you mixed up. x

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If only I could confuse her so easily!!! Then I might be able to snag some of her beautiful goodies!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I miss LaurenthePartier's beautiful jewelry and beautiful pictures! I hope she is doing well. Hi Lauren we miss you :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erini, Freke, and everyone else who has not answered yet: what is your holy grail gemstone? Details! We need details! We want to know what to keep our eyes open for!

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I guess I must be down the rabbit hole because i thought this term was only a bit less well-known than Padparadscha!

From Richard Hughes on palagems web site:

" There is also the yellow sapphire of Shri Lanka, commonly called pushparaga in Singhalese. The term pushpa means flower; as raga is colour and also means pollen, hence pushparaga is the “colour of pollen.” Although pollen can be brownish yellow or yellow in colour, the Shri Lankan gem trade from ancient times to the present, has always referred to pushparaga as a yellow variety of corundum."

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1359143798|3363601 said:
I miss LaurenthePartier's beautiful jewelry and beautiful pictures! I hope she is doing well. Hi Lauren we miss you :wavey:

Awwww I agree!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly don't know what my one holy grail would be! I would like a precision cut hot pink mahenge of about 2.5 carats or more. I think I missed the boat on that one!

Oh, and an asscher bubblegum pink spinel cut by jeff White.

And a nice unheated medium cornflower blue sapphire of about 5 plus carats-- like this gorgeous one:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-sapphire-trilogy-halo-in-progress.173707/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-sapphire-trilogy-halo-in-progress.173707/[/URL]

Or a nice ruby, or a pink sapphire or a gorgeous step cut aqua colored tourmaline...

Too many to list!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1359172591|3363896 said:
I honestly don't know what my one holy grail would be! I would like a precision cut hot pink mahenge of about 2.5 carats or more. I think I missed the boat on that one!

Oh, and an asscher bubblegum pink spinel cut by jeff White.

And a nice unheated medium cornflower blue sapphire of about 5 plus carats-- like this gorgeous one:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-sapphire-trilogy-halo-in-progress.173707/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-sapphire-trilogy-halo-in-progress.173707/[/URL]

Or a nice ruby, or a pink sapphire or a gorgeous step cut aqua colored tourmaline...

Too many to list!

Oh, Darn! Especially for you, Erini, I was hoping that you had some low hanging fruit and there would be something you had been seriously looking for that we could find. But awwww, your bar is pretty high. Yes, to a bubblegum pink spinel from Jeff! And I am down for the hunt for you for a quality unheated 5+ carat cornflower blue sapphire, but I just gotta say, there are no shortcuts with that one; you'll have to pay a pretty penny! I am SO happy to help you! Let's start now, heh heh!

In all seriousness, contact me off the board if you want help, particularly with the ginormous unheated blue (oh, and start saving now).

CYIW

Rough_Rock
So far LD's quest for her "holy purple sapphire grail" has been the longest search? 10 years! Did you ever feel like giving up LD?

Can I start a "Grail" list? It's hard to remember each stone :)

Chrono (??, found) - "blue spinel"

LD (10 years, found) - "purple sapphire"

Minousbijoux (4 years, still questing) - "Vivid Fanta orange Namibian spessartite. I call it "my" because I know its out there but I just haven't found it yet. 3+ carats, eye clean, with the glow they're known for. Its the ever so slightly reddish orange I seek. I'd love a cushion"

Jereni (??, still questing) - "large, precision cut blue-green / teal stone in a round, cushion, or square-ish radiant. I'm looking for that rich, 'jewel tone' kind of teal, bordering on peacock. Something in the 8mm, 9mm range."

Corundum_Corundum (??, still questing) - "One, delightful and striking pushparaga, please."

Corundum_Corundum (6 months, still questing) - "yellow sapphire"

Vapid_Lapid (?? , still questing) - I don't actually know what to write here lol

Ilander (??, still questing) - "I really want an 8 x 10 unheated ruby. For about $5K. I'd be willing to go to $7k."

ArtDecoGirl (??, still questing) - "Three round pale pink sapphires with a touch of lilac to make my fantasy three stone, the center about 2 carats and the sides 2ctw"

Erini (??, ongoing) - "precision cut hot pink mahenge of about 2.5 carats or more" (I just took the first on Erini's list)

FrekeChild (5 years, found) - many stones inc. big blue precision sapphire and big hot pink Mahenge spinel

pregcurious (??, still questing) - "a rose cut, round, 7 mm white sapphire"

CYIW (3 months, still questing) - cushion, round 60mm sqr face, blue sapphire.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a garnet junkie, so my grail stones are a nice blue color change garnet and a chrome green demantoid, in the 1-2 ct range. :D

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well one that I haven't found is a blue/lilac spinel exactly like TL's magnificent one. I have no idea how long I've been looking but as a guess it would be 3-4 years.

Don't forget sometimes when you get one holy grail you move onto the next!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1359221965|3364116 said:
Well one that I haven't found is a blue/lilac spinel exactly like TL's magnificent one. I have no idea how long I've been looking but as a guess it would be 3-4 years.

Don't forget sometimes when you get one holy grail you move onto the next!!

Yes, oh so very Yes! I have been looking for a lavenderish/pinkish/violetish spinel consistently for maybe a year and a half. The ones that are clear as water, but that give off those sparks of blues, peaches, pinks and violets. Sigh. I get all happy just thinking about it... :praise:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It took around 6 to 7 years to find the perfect sapphire-like blue spinel. I have other holy grails found and to look for too. Once I've found it, I move on to the next. Sometimes, it just pops up when least expected, as though it found me rather than the other way around.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add me to the list on the quest for the lavender-blue, medium or lighter toned, with no grey, sapphire or spinel. Precision cut. I can't remember how long I've been looking, but it was whenever I saw the big oval of Chrono's.

CYIW

Rough_Rock
Ok i've added the new quests :) Maybe we should put these in order of length of time - would that be helfpul?

Chrono (7 years, found) - "perfect sapphire-like blue spinel"

LD (10 years, found) - "purple sapphire"

LD (4 years, still questing) - a blue/lilac spinel exactly like TL's magnificent one. [CYIW: i would'nt mind seeing a pic!]

Minousbijoux (4 years, still questing) - "Vivid Fanta orange Namibian spessartite. I call it "my" because I know its out there but I just haven't found it yet. 3+ carats, eye clean, with the glow they're known for. Its the ever so slightly reddish orange I seek. I'd love a cushion"

Minouxbijoux (1.5 years, still questing) - "I have been looking for a lavenderish/pinkish/violetish spinel consistently for maybe a year and a half. The ones that are clear as water, but that give off those sparks of blues, peaches, pinks and violets."

Jereni (??, still questing) - "large, precision cut blue-green / teal stone in a round, cushion, or square-ish radiant. I'm looking for that rich, 'jewel tone' kind of teal, bordering on peacock. Something in the 8mm, 9mm range."

Corundum_Corundum (??, still questing) - "One, delightful and striking pushparaga, please."

Corundum_Corundum (6 months, still questing) - "yellow sapphire"

Vapid_Lapid (?? , still questing) - I don't actually know what to write here lol

Ilander (??, still questing) - "I really want an 8 x 10 unheated ruby. For about $5K. I'd be willing to go to $7k."

ArtDecoGirl (??, still questing) - "Three round pale pink sapphires with a touch of lilac to make my fantasy three stone, the center about 2 carats and the sides 2ctw"

Erini (??, ongoing) - "precision cut hot pink mahenge of about 2.5 carats or more" (I just took the first on Erini's list)

FrekeChild (5 years, found) - many stones inc. big blue precision sapphire and big hot pink Mahenge spinel

pregcurious (??, still questing) - "a rose cut, round, 7 mm white sapphire"

MakingTheGrade (??, still questing) - a nice blue color change garnet and a chrome green demantoid, in the 1-2 ct range

NKOTB (since NKOTB saw Chrono's, still questing) - lavender-blue, medium or lighter toned, with no grey, sapphire or spinel. Precision cut

CYIW (3 months, still questing) - cushion, round 60mm sqr face, blue sapphire.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, CYIW, thanks for doing all this work!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

snailboat.jpg

CYIW

Rough_Rock
hahahaha VL!!

No problem Minousbijoux :) I don't have the experience to actually help find what everyone is looking for (i have never even heard of some of the stones!) but I suppose I can help in other ways!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Minou--

I don't think I am actively looking for a sapphire right now-- too expensive, maybe in ten years! Or I mean, i need to save for ten years!

I have found some stones that fit my holy grail quest and yes, I moved on to the next. My chrysoberyl search was at least a year and a half until I finally found the one. I have a really nice rubellite from Gene that I got pretty early without too much searching--it is so red in just about every lighting condition. The spess I bought from justginger is about as close to my spess holy grail as I imagine I will ever get!

I have been pretty haphazard in my spinel search, I think lots of pretty ones have slipped through my fingers!

CYIW

Rough_Rock
Gah i keep making spelling mistakes...

iLander

Ideal_Rock

VL, I told you to stop taking pix at my house! :cry:

:D

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Regarding yellow sapphires, I think the one in the second row here (2.12 ct) is absolutely striking, though it is heated. http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html But the first yellow sapphire I've seen that's really captured my interest.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that is beautiful and so YELLOW!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1359145687|3363619 said:
Erini, Freke, and everyone else who has not answered yet: what is your holy grail gemstone? Details! We need details! We want to know what to keep our eyes open for!
I don't really know? I don't think I've ever really had just one or even just a few. I've just bought stuff as I've seen it, and I've amassed a small collection of stuff I think is pretty nice and I enjoy it. Now if it would all just set itself already. I like my hot pink mahenge spinels, my tsavs, my blue spinels, my lavender-pink spinels, etc. I think there are a few stones I'd never consider selling: Big hot pink Mahenge spinel, my white Barry spinel and Big Blue Barry spinel. And anything my husband has given me (this includes one of the spinels in my earring drops - so don't ever expect those to go up for sale!).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Freke, there is not one stone out there of a particular size, shape and color that is calling your name?

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1359145687|3363619 said:

...I...have no idea, actually. I know it needs to be blue, somewhere in the 1-2 carat range, but I haven't quite decided on which shade of blue I want, which stone I want and what kind of look I want >w< Basically, I'm looking for something that will make me say "yes" without a second thought. So far, I haven't found that elusive something I'm searching for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results