shape
carat
color
clarity

yellow to peach color change: what was it?

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
I did an internet search and a forum search on this and came up short. I was in a jewelry store in Mexico last week, and there was a collection of stones that were a cold yellow color in the shop lighting, but when the salesman threw an incandescent light on them, they turned a peachy orange. Neither color, to my eyes, were particularly attractive. He said they were color-change morganite, but I've never heard of a morganite changing color. I of course am under no illusion that these weren't lab made stones, like everything in the store, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea what gem structure (beryl, etc) these were supposed to be. Or were they just franken-rocks with a misleading name?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is yellow beryl (morganite belongs to the beryl family) but I haven't heard of any changing to peach under incandescent light.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was it extreme? Because most stones do shift colours under different lights. Some shifts are cool, others (like the infamous "browning out" of pink stones) are not.

liao

Shiny_Rock
There are a lot of stone that can shift like that. My guess, it is zultanite

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Zultanite is ugly graygreen to ugly grayishbrownish something like pink!

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, it was quite extreme. Upon looking at zultanite images online, it's possible that they were lab grown or simulant versions of this. The colors of the stone in the shop were much a cleaner, purer, candy-colored (read: artificial) version than most I'm seeing online, which would be expected for a lab grown stone. Thanks for your help!

Clown-n-round

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I did an internet search and a forum search on this and came up short. I was in a jewelry store in Mexico last week, and there was a collection of stones that were a cold yellow color in the shop lighting, but when the salesman threw an incandescent light on them, they turned a peachy orange. Neither color, to my eyes, were particularly attractive. He said they were color-change morganite, but I've never heard of a morganite changing color. I of course am under no illusion that these weren't lab made stones, like everything in the store, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea what gem structure (beryl, etc) these were supposed to be. Or were they just franken-rocks with a misleading name?

Clown-n-round

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results