shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you set a tourmaline with this sharp of corners?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Is it safe to set? What would be the best methodology? It's 20x8mm and for a special occasion bracelet...I drunk the Diana bracelet Koolaid. :D

afghanbaguette.jpg

afghanbaguette2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1300481978|2874815 said:
Is it safe to set? What would be the best methodology? It's 20x8mm and for a special occasion bracelet...I drunk the Diana bracelet Koolaid. :D

Only with a setter that knows what they are doing, and with v-prongs.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very thin bezel OR small as possible v-prongs.

-A

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you TL and Arcadian. So it can be done but not by just anyone....good enough for me to want to buy it. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1300483165|2874837 said:
Thank you TL and Arcadian. So it can be done but not by just anyone....good enough for me to want to buy it. :)

Well, tourmaline is a more fragile stone for setting, and the jeweler needs to know how to handle softer and/or more delicate material. I know my jeweler handles tourmalines differently than say, spinels, when setting them.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
My jeweler is also a lapidary so they know how to treat the sensitive stones which I really appreciate having had a few manhandled by other places. Those corners just look impossible to me but I think the color/size/price is too good to pass on even if it will result in a more expensive setting job.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a bracelet? Not sure I'd risk it because that's the one piece of jewellery that is more often knocked. Unless you go for a cuff type so that the tourmaline remains on the top, I think I'd set it into a pendant if I were to do anything with it.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
LD- I'm getting a fairly heavy clasp which holds 4 pearl strands which I hope will counterbalance and keep it on top. Have not ruled out a necklace entirely though. Thanks!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1300484324|2874863 said:
LD- I'm getting a fairly heavy clasp which holds 4 pearl strands which I hope will counterbalance and keep it on top. Have not ruled out a necklace entirely though. Thanks!

Kelpie - unless the bracelet is a snug fit, it will turn. It's the turning that causes the potential danger. You'll put your arm down on a table and clunk :-o If you can make sure the bracelet won't swivel you've got a fighting chance of survival! ;))

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
kelpie|1300481978|2874815 said:
Is it safe to set? What would be the best methodology? It's 20x8mm and for a special occasion bracelet.

Sure it's safe to set. The the short ends should be bezeled with the bezel extending past the corners slightly and this will keep the ends safe. What you do in the middle doesn't matter too much, though I would suggest having some parts of the bracelet a bit higher than the stone so as to absorb any impacts that would other wise get to the stone. Beautiful color gem by the way!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Well, this is what I would do with it :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:

Don't tell Michael E but he is going to be making me one like this some fine day :sun:

Lngpink.jpg

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
What ooo~Shiney said.
If you really want a Diana bracelet, get a blue topaz and save yourself some $$$.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results