carat
color
clarity

Would love paraiba tourmaline, but shall I buy lotto? Check

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
Out this site

http://www.africagems.com/paraiba-tourmaline.html

I would so love one of these tourmalines, but the price is in the stratosphere! I guess I may have to search forsomething else, but are t they gorgeous! Anyone know anyone selling more reasonably priced stones? I like indicolite too,

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Would love paraiba tourmaline, but shall I buy lotto? Ch

I have never seen apatite in person but the saturated ones seem to have Paraiba like colour. I have read they have a waxy lustre and they are not the hardest gems. But maybe worth considering.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Paraiba tourmalines are among the most expensive colored gems; those from Brazil, forget it -- you'd have to sell your house. African cuprians of Paraiba color are out of sight too, as you've seen. Indicolites can be very nice but of course don't have the incredible neon glow & can be somewhat dark. Ed Bristol at Wildfish Gems has quite a few indicolites: http://www.wildfishgems.com/tourmaline__blue?b=1. I'd be willing to sell my house, live in the car, and stare at a Paraiba on my hand, but DH refuses to get aboard!

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1405766656|3716501 said:
Paraiba tourmalines are among the most expensive colored gems; those from Brazil, forget it -- you'd have to sell your house. African cuprians of Paraiba color are out of sight too, as you've seen. Indicolites can be very nice but of course don't have the incredible neon glow & can be somewhat dark. Ed Bristol at Wildfish Gems has quite a few indicolites: http://www.wildfishgems.com/tourmaline__blue?b=1. I'd be willing to sell my house, live in the car, and stare at a Paraiba on my hand, but DH refuses to get aboard!

--- Laurie

Why oh why are men so selfish sometimes???
:cheeky:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock

If you have your heart set on a "Paraiba" Tourmaline, Indicolite Tourmaline would not be a good choice. Both are Tourmalines, both can be beautiful, but that's where the similarity's end. If you're into cabochons, which I am, Gem Silica have rarity and delightful color on their side.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sapphirecats|1405739267|3716359 said:
Out this site

http://www.africagems.com/paraiba-tourmaline.html

I would so love one of these tourmalines, but the price is in the stratosphere! I guess I may have to search forsomething else, but are t they gorgeous! Anyone know anyone selling more reasonably priced stones? I like indicolite too,

Rather than Namibian stones, which IMO tend to be less saturated and/or not as bright, I would look at Afghanistan tourmaline in a blue/green color. If you like paraibas, then you want lots of saturation of blue/green color.

I'm sure they're are exceptions with Namibian stones, but I'm generally not a fan of that material.

I really like Afghan tourmaline. To me, this material can look like Afican cuprians. It is usually brighter in color.

The emerald cut that is highlighted on Africagems page you linked to doesn't have the neon color of the highly prized paraibas. Africagems had some a while ago but they were tens of thousands to six figures in price. They also have stones that to me, look like Afghan material, which includes that emerald cut stone.

Litnon used to have some Afghan material and I would check them from time to time, as they seem to be reasonably priced as well. Check precisiongem.com too. He tends to get some Afghan material in.

Remember that indicolite is simply a name for "blue tourmaline" and not all of it is saturated, nor bright. Some indicolites are very dark, and can black out in sunlight. Good luck on your search.

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8410

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

I like both - afghanistan and namibia.

Litnon is a good idea - they sometimes have wonderful nigerian turmaline close to "paraiba" .

The mine is Oro / Oyo

This one is sold but look at the color and the price!!!!! :appl: :love:

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=3953

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

TL said:
I really like Afghan tourmaline. To me, this material can look like Afican cuprians. It is usually brighter in color.

I'm with you, TL. They're a good next-best, the real thing being unobtainable for us average dudes.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1405782970|3716592 said:
TL said:

I'm with you, TL. They're a good next-best, the real thing being unobtainable for us average dudes.

--- Laurie

Many many years ago (over a decade probably), there was this stone for sale by Litnon. It was not only one of the most gorgeous tourmalines I've ever seen, but probably the nicest Afghan tourmaline I've ever seen.

I don't know if material like this is available anymore, but if I were the OP, I wouldn't just focus on Paraibas. There are other beautiful tourmaline stones out there in fabulous blue/green color.

This is just what probably represents the best of the best from Afghanistan as an FYI, which shows you that some can rival Paraiba. :))

tourmaline2_1_.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! :love:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

JewelFreak said:
I'd be willing to sell my house, live in the car, and stare at a Paraiba on my hand, but DH refuses to get aboard!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sheesh! Some people just have no perspective.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

ROFL, I actually did just that once; sold my condo and put my Money into fancy colored diamonds:))) call me passionate or crazy. Truth is not the same things matter to different people and Viva la difference. Ok it was a long story and I do have a new place:))). For the top paraibas that are blinding with the most amazing color Hmm maybe time to change housing?:)))

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you are prepared to search and wait.... You could get a non-Brazilian cuprian at a good price if you are lucky. Or you could get a real Brazilian Paraiba in a smaller size?

I wasn't actively looking for a cuprian or even tourmaline, but I saw another PSer suddenly list this Mozambique cuprian on sale at $300 for 2ct (in the middle of the photo) . So I got lucky.. Just have to actively search online and be willing to check websites and forums etc obsessively.. :o

uploadfromtaptalk1405859448337.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L said:
JewelFreak|1405782970|3716592 said:
TL said:

--- Laurie

Many many years ago (over a decade probably), there was this stone for sale by Litnon. It was not only one of the most gorgeous tourmalines I've ever seen, but probably the nicest Afghan tourmaline I've ever seen.

I don't know if material like this is available anymore, but if I were the OP, I wouldn't just focus on Paraibas. There are other beautiful tourmaline stones out there in fabulous blue/green color.

This is just what probably represents the best of the best from Afghanistan as an FYI, which shows you that some can rival Paraiba. :))
I would sell my first-born for that! Lucky I don't have kids... :razz::razz::razz: joking..

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

TL said:
if I were the OP, I wouldn't just focus on Paraibas. There are other beautiful tourmaline stones out there in fabulous blue/green color.

This is just what probably represents the best of the best from Afghanistan as an FYI, which shows you that some can rival Paraiba.

You're right, TL. While the unearthly glow of a Paraiba-type is the pinnacle, other tourmalines are stunningly beautiful. Not cheap, often, but worth the price & a whole lot less than a Paraiba. This one that I was lucky to snag from Gene is another Afghani tourm with the gorgeous blue-green hue & does hold its color & brilliance in very low light. IRL it is more blue than in this pic.

Tourmalines are born in so many luscious colors, other choices can be thrilling. I bought this one from Steve Wallner -- can't find the info on its origin, but it has that Paraiba glow. It shines out with its own light even in almost-black-dark conditions. Haven't had it looked at by AGL; someday I might. Don't really care -- it's just so gorgeous! Impossible to get good photos of: it's peachy with copper-ish sparks.

--- Laurie

gene_6.jpg

20110219_251.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

I would sell my first-born for that! Lucky I don't have kids... :razz::razz: joking..

----

What he he**....

FCD junkies - selling kids for gems.... crazy!!!!

Btw. is your avatar a Cornish Rex?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marlow|1405863354|3717009 said:
I would sell my first-born for that! Lucky I don't have kids... :razz::razz: joking..

----

What he he**....

yeah, well, nobody would give me anything for that cat. :naughty:

He is actually a no-breed street cat, but since I am living in Asia the local cats tend to look a little Siamese-type (elongated bodies, small heads). He is so fat now that he is definitely a chubby pear-shaped cat. :lol:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Head shape and setting of the ears is typical for Cornish Rex - a cat with a curled hair, often bicolor. Nice

Your Paraiba too - really neon.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jewel Freak,
Tourmaline is a fascinating gem. I don't think there is any other gem with the variation of color that tourmaline has.

Just for fun, here's a gallery of various shapes, colors and origins of tourmaline from all over the world. There are several pages to this gallery.

http://www.brucefrytourmaline.com/tourmaline-gallery/

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Well, now that no way, me I would never sell my animals for gems, would not give up people either, gems just take precedence over other material possessions.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

mochiko42|1405866918|3717032 said:
Marlow|1405863354|3717009 said:

----

What he he**....

yeah, well, nobody would give me anything for that cat. :naughty:

He is actually a no-breed street cat, but since I am living in Asia the local cats tend to look a little Siamese-type (elongated bodies, small heads). He is so fat now that he is definitely a chubby pear-shaped cat. :lol:

OT: Please post some photos some time.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

TL, those tourms are something else! Would you say the guy is a devotee? :D Does he sell them? He has a couple of colors I've never seen -- one, at least in photos, looks similar to a chrysoberyl, though I'm sure without the brilliance IRL. Fun site!

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1405877924|3717124 said:
TL, those tourms are something else! Would you say the guy is a devotee? :D Does he sell them? He has a couple of colors I've never seen -- one, at least in photos, looks similar to a chrysoberyl, though I'm sure without the brilliance IRL. Fun site!

--- Laurie

I am not sure if he sells them. I stumbled upon that site once, and I think it's an interesting site for people interested in tourmaline. I enjoy the myriad of colors, shapes and well cut stones all together.

Of all the colors, I find this particular shade of amethyst purple color to be very rare, and it appears to be the only one of this hue/tone in his collection. I suspect this is is a cuprian before heat treatment.

img_11_1_.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

@TL

I have two purple tourmaline - not a strong color like that one - from Mozambique - not heated course of inclusions - the stone would not
survive the treatment.

This is included too - beautiful color! Yes - cuprian before heating.

Same with old original Paraiba rough - several violet chips and a cut one - violet oval with a neon blue spot.

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock

Wow thanks for all the great replies! I'm still looking around. I do like indicolite a lot, and apatite, but that is too soft for a ring. Shame there is not more paraiba available! That's mother natures joke!

Ps. Love the kitty! My kitties are the most precious gems I have!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

That is a unique & beautiful one, TL. So that's what an unheated cuprian looks like, huh? There should be more of them!

I like this one -- looks a lot like a chryso:

and this blue-gray one, yummy & unusual in a tourmaline.

Wish he included info on origin with the photos.

img_1042_.jpg

img_5194.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Marlow|1405879084|3717142 said:
@TL

I have two purple tourmaline - not a strong color like that one - from Mozambique - not heated course of inclusions - the stone would not
survive the treatment.

This is included too - beautiful color! Yes - cuprian before heating.

Same with old original Paraiba rough - several violet chips and a cut one - violet oval with a neon blue spot.

Are yours reddish purple though? I see lots of reddish purple or purplish reds, but rarely a pure purple or violet.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1405894565|3717258 said:
That is a unique & beautiful one, TL. So that's what an unheated cuprian looks like, huh? There should be more of them!

Yes, they're usually greyish purple, greyish violet, or purple like that. Paraibas are almost always heated to neon blue. It's rare to find an unheated one, and even then heating cannot be properly determined in these gems, so one always assumes heat (as far as I know).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results