shape
carat
color
clarity

windows bad? please help

sapphiregirl123

Rough_Rock
Thanks Starzin for the information. I knew it had something to do with the photos, but didn't think about copyrights.
chrys31 - I will absolutely let you know. I actually went back to look at the ones that I wanted this morning and wouldn't you know it, there's a sale pending. When I thought it was the color I love, my heart broke a bit. So my post may have lead someone to it....It's just so difficult because I want a nice, bright sapphire. I don't want the run of the mill. I want something different and lovely. I don't care about size and I'd even get a cut that's not my favorite to get the perfect color. That's what happened at first. I didn't want an oval, but it was how it worked out... or how I thought it would. Going back and seeing pictures from that vendor make me angry because that window should have been evident against the background and it isn't in the photo. I'm sure of it... but PS has given me a list of vendors full of lovely products so hopefully, something will come of it.

chrys31

Rough_Rock
lame! maybe the sale won't go through, though I did see several stones that were similar colors.

the boyfriend went to look at sapphires today, and came back crazy about diamonds! ha. I think he will have a harder time deciding on something than I will. ;-)

sapphiregirl123

Rough_Rock
i think this is "the one". any thoughts on this? the color takes my breath away... i love something intense! :mrgreen:

sapphire_montana_235.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome and sorry the other disappeared from under you :(sad However, that said, I'm a great believer in your stone finding you so if it's meant for you it will become available again - let Andrew know you want second "dibs".

MyMyMy...the colour does appear to be intense - but what's going on in the middle? Is that a large culet????? It's definitely not something you typically see on a sapphire :???:

Have you got a description of the cut (don't give away it's home at this stage ;)) ) - I think we need one of our experts in here.

sapphiregirl123

Rough_Rock
It is one of Andrew's. It's a "Roulette" Cut. I don't think it's going anywhere, it's sale pending is me- I think. It's somehow stuck in my shopping cart. I'm waiting on a response from them now about purchasing it... what's a cutlet? Is that good or bad?

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
She's refering to the "flat" looking spot in the bottom of the stone-- it looks sort of like an old European cut, which you sometimes see in diamonds. Here's a quick google example of the cut: http://www.diamondsourceva.com/Education/Shape/diamonds-shape-old-european-cut.asp See how the bottom of the stone is flat (viewed from the side) in the first image? That's a flat cutlet. In round brilliant cut, the facets on the bottom all come to a point (hopefully in the middle of the stone), as seen at good ol' wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_(diamond_cut)

Is it a bad thing? No, not at all, depending on your taste. It's just not a common cut seen in sapphires (I have seen one with a flat cutlet, and I also recall very recently seeing a cushion sapphire in one of the threads on here with a flat cutlet as well, but I don't remember which thread off the top of my head). I actually think they look fantastic, for what it's worth, but I also haven't played with one in real life. I think old European cuts are really lovely.

The pictures on Gemfix are not always accurate in terms of color-- I've seen examples where the stone was much nicer in pictures in real life, and examples where the stone in real life was much less saturated and more gray.

Based on the picture, it looks like a medium to medium-dark, saturated blue with a little green. Based on the description given, where it is described as an "intense" Montana blue, I suspect it is fairly saturated (almost certainly with a green hint), but you could always email the site owner and ask about his opinion on the stone, and if he has any more pictures.

If it looks like the pictures, I think it will be really beautiful, but I love Montana sapphires. I'm a big non-traditional color sapphire fan, so I do not claim to be unbiased. :Up_to_something:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
It's good that you've got a hold on it then ;))

A culet (not cutlet as in pork :o :lol: ) is the tiny round spot in the middle. It's typically seen in OMC diamonds because it was initially intended as an extra facet I believe. It's caused by the very tip of the "pointy bit" being cut off/level. When you view it from the top it looks like a tiny round hole in the middle. What I'm seeing could of course simply be the angle of the photography.

Hop over to Rocky Talky and view any thread with OMC in it - or SMTB

ETA: It's worth asking Andrew if he has anymore of the material in the first row and also how the colour compares IRL to the picture.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Ignore my ETA above - I'm wandering again (trying to do too many things at once and none of them well :rolleyes: ), you weren't looking at the first row and the one you have on hold is very similar to the one pending except for the cut.

sapphiregirl123

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the help!I quickly looked up "cutlet" and realized my mistake. Hopefully I can get this thing bought. I did send Andrew an email asking for more pics (there were none, but there is a 7 day inspection period-very acceptable) and about the color in real life. I was told it's an intense blue, not royal, but very vivid. I'm going to take a chance and hope it's what I'm looking for. I think it's going to be perfect. I have just always wanted a sapphire and the more I look, the more turned off I am by the basic blue. The cornflower really caught my eye and sped up my pulse, but man, the window is so big (now I see it) that it actually distracts from the color. Anyway, someone said the stone would find me... I think it did! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Gemfix shows a lot of promise. I'd take full advantage of the review window to see it in person. Check it out under all lighting (full sunlight, shade, cloudy, halogen, flourescent, incandescent, mixed lighting) and observe how it shifts and decide if it is acceptable to you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1330037550|3132773 said:
I hope I'm allowed to post... I didn't see a list of rules, but some comments lead me to believe there are some.

The "rules" pertain to copyright.

What I've gathered is this...normal copyright rules apply and some websites (such as LangAntiques, RubyLane etc) are always linked to for this reason - you can't post their photos anywhere. Unfortunately this means that when the item is sold the picture/info at the linked to listing disappears making the thread reference useless later on. I guess there's also the hope that once you follow a link to see what's there, you may get lost looking at other things and not return here. A somewhat short-sighted view, but there you are - copyright theft is rife.

As to the frequent posting of pics from vendors...make no mistake, their photos are also copyright. However they're friendly to PS and know that pics of their work create interest and may sell something to someone reading, but not involved in, the thread - so on the whole they don't mind pics being posted. It creates a lot of traffic for them and may also initiate an enquiry about something else. Having the pic in the thread just makes it a whole lot easier for people to read the arguments for and against without having to chase all over the Internet. I think this goes for the eBay sellers too.

Many of the vendors are frequent posters at PS and give freely of their expertise and knowledge. This is always appreciated and incredibly helpful. Cheers guys :appl: :))

And sometimes we post links just 'cos we're too lazy/don't have time at that moment to do the cut/paste/save/size/load :bigsmile:

Disclaimer: All of the above are my assumptions - happy to be corrected if wrong.

I think, and am happy to be corrected, that PS doesn't allow links to other forums. You may want to check.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Starzin|1330060548|3133090 said:
A culet (not cutlet as in pork :o :lol: ) is the tiny round spot in the middle.

Oh, good lord, how embarrassing. I used the word "cutlet" like 20 times in that post because I didn't check the spelling between the two. Oh well! My opinion on the sapphire holds!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Chloe said:
Oh, good lord, how embarrassing. I used the word "cutlet" like 20 times in that post because I didn't check the spelling between the two. Oh well! My opinion on the sapphire holds!
Not to worry we knew what you meant (just didn't want the OP to be mislead if she didn't know the difference). Great post by the way with all those helpful references :))

LD: Ah yes, thanks - that too. I wasn't trying to cover all the bases just the bit in reference to pictures.

SG123 - great that you're going to see it in person. Since it calls to you I think you deserve to "meet" each other and the good return period means you can make a relaxed decision.

I would point out one thing. One reason for getting a Montana is its great teal colours and a good one will certainly make your sapphire different. If what you're looking for is a 'greyish' blue - what I tend to call denim blue - you would have many blue sapphire options. I'm not sure Montana is the way to go for 'cornflower' which in my mind is a saturated blue a lot lighter/vivid than the one you're after. Just trying to make the distinction for you.

In any case...we all hold our breath that you love this Montana in person :appl:

sapphiregirl123

Rough_Rock
Well, I was informed this morning that the one I was after was indeed sold to someone else. So I called Andrew and told him what I was looking for and we discussed a couple of others. This is the one I purchased. Andrew advised that, after I told him what I wanted in the stone's color- which is the most important thing to me, I wouldn't have gotten it with the other sapphire anyway. He said this one is light, shows teal in the daylight, bright blue in florescent and bright, steel blue in incandescent. He said it didn't have much of the steel grey in it, but he did give me a pretty good lesson on Montanas. He said they always have an undertone and I always did like the color changers! I'm pretty excited to check it out. I can't wait for it to come!

sapphire_montana_258.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yaaaay! :appl: :appl: :appl: Excited for you and pleased that you had a "lesson on Montanas" from someone who's knowledgeable and got a lot to choose from :))

How long before it arrives? When do we get to see lots of pictures of all those personalities?

sapphiregirl123

Rough_Rock
It should be here sometime early next week!!!!!

chrys31

Rough_Rock
Squeeeee! :D. I am so excited to hear how you like the stone in person! And I am so happy Andrew was so helpful; I've been wanting to ask him about the two big stones in the second row, but I was waiting to make sure you aren't after one of them!

I can't wait to hear about your sapphire!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphiregirl123|1330136594|3133844 said:
Well, I was informed this morning that the one I was after was indeed sold to someone else. So I called Andrew and told him what I was looking for and we discussed a couple of others. This is the one I purchased. Andrew advised that, after I told him what I wanted in the stone's color- which is the most important thing to me, I wouldn't have gotten it with the other sapphire anyway. He said this one is light, shows teal in the daylight, bright blue in florescent and bright, steel blue in incandescent. He said it didn't have much of the steel grey in it, but he did give me a pretty good lesson on Montanas. He said they always have an undertone and I always did like the color changers! I'm pretty excited to check it out. I can't wait for it to come!

Gorgeous stone!!! :appl:

I had the opportunity to speak with Andrew regarding a stone a few months back, and he is just so down to earth and very calmly explained all sorts of pros/cons to me. I've been very happy with the 3 stones I've purchased from them - I hope you are just as thrilled when your new stone arrives!

chrys31

Rough_Rock
Did your baby come in? I'm eager to hear how you like it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This newer one looks better (to my eye) than the other one, only as a personal preference. The tone is lighter and appears to be less gray. My guess is that the stone might end up eye clean even though there is an inclusion that is obvious in the picture (at 7 o'clock). Do also watch out for zoning as I am unsure if what I am seeing are reflections or something else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results