shape
carat
color
clarity

Will setting an unheated sapphire affect its

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smoothdemon

Rough_Rock
Will setting an unheated sapphire affect its "unheatedness"?

Hi, as some of you know, I have a unheated sapphire along with a semi-mount ring (with white sapphire side stones) arriving separately in the next week. Question is, doesn't a jeweler use heat to set the prongs around the stone? and won't this affect the unheated sapphire?

Should I find a jeweler who has experience mounting unheated sapphires, or should I trust the average local jeweler?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the temperature used isn''t high enough to affect the colour of the unheated sapphire.

smoothdemon

Rough_Rock
ok great, thank you - i also just called my local jeweler and he said since my ring is pronged, they don''t even use heat
40.gif

i guess i should ease up a bit, the closer it gets to the big day, the more stressed i get
14.gif

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
By the time a setting is ready to accept a stone the torch is already put away. Prongs and bezels are simply pushed into contact with the stone by the pressure of a tool in hand. No worries about heat there. When you have a ring re-sized, however, they will very likely use heat on the ring while the stone is in it. Make sure your jeweler protects the stone well in this case as heat could possibly change the color or crack the stone.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
smoothdemon,
that is a good question to ask!Lee is right on so you dont have to worry about heat and the stone being set!When the ring is done send pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results