shape
carat
color
clarity

Will I ever be done? Are you done?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Are there any CS collectors who are done collecting? What made you stop, or slow down significantly? I assume budget plays a part, but at some point, are you sated?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really interested to hear what more experienced PSers than me have to say. Great questions.

I'm still in the 'learning stones' phase so I don't have much to add. I like to think that Ill eventually be satisfied with my collection and will only buy something once in a blue moon if it's really, truly irreplaceable and special to me.

But... who knows? :tongue:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hesitate somewhat to say I'm getting there, because I've said it before... :cheeky:

But, I have an HG to acquire, and maybe a few others, then the plan is to focus on settings, then just ENJOY! I can *generally* say no to most stones these days, but there have been a few exceptions lately...I would say I spent the first few years going nuts, buying as many as I could that caught my fancy, and over the past several months, I've been trying to pare down to what I will set in the relatively near future. I feel like that is a baby step to being done, at least. ;-)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm actually getting there. There are a few things I still have on my "lifetime" list, and they will probably be there for a while, unless I win the lottery and can find everything I want - that would actually be the hardest part! There are VERY VERY VERY few stones that catch my eye these days, and if something I see/hear about is an "upgrade" of what I already have, I've found it very easy to sell the smaller versions to get the "upgrade".

At the moment though, it's all about setting. I have several rings and a necklace, plus a few earrings that need to be set. So I'm working on that, which involves some pretty serious custom settings, since none of the rings are calibrated sizes/what I want.

Then I will probably be moving to bands, but the above rings are going to be first and foremost in my plans.

Lifetime list:
Yellow diamond
Yellow garnet (turns out I'm really picky about this one)
Sapphire

And a couple of odds and ends I can't think of at the moment!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm done because

1) It's too costly
2) The material isn't there like it used to be, and if it is, it's $$$$$$
3) You only live for a specified amount of time. You can't take your gems and jewelry with you, so as I get older, I realize there are more important things in life.
4) I'm very happy with what I have.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like TL. I had a nice run, and I love what I have.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I'm only just getting started, really, but now that I've done the stacker thing I feel like I could collect an infinite amount of smaller gems for this purpose and switch it up daily. For me there is just SO much out there and SO much I'd like to see in person, and SO much I'd like to put in my little box of jewels. Someday it will most likely change though, and I'll want something bigger and better, or different completely. I get on kicks like this and they change from time to time, but man I'm having so much fun! I feel like a collection of pretty rocks is something I'll never tire of.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've slowed considerably - right now focused on settings - and a (diamond) upgrade - and lengthening my Tahitian Pearl strand - only major stone purchase still on the horizon is *my* Montana sapphire...

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
That is an interesting question. I think once I have the full fancy color diamond set of a necklace, bracelet, and ring I'll be done. My great grandmother left me a beautiful collection of platinum jewelry and although she's long gone it gives me something to remember her by. I hope that my collection will be passed down through the family in the same way.

That said, who knows how long it will take me to get there. I am of limited means and I've been collecting stones in ones and twos since 2009.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure I'll ever be 100% done, but I've never been the type of person that spends too much anyway. I have the occasional project going and I also make some of my own jewelry.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your responses, Loverskites, NKOTB, Freke, TL, Lisa, Kelli, marymm, susie, and innerkitten. It's a lot of food for thought.

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel like I am getting close to being done and really would like it to be true! I love my stones and I don't need more. Like TL said, you can't take them with you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones|1392042401|3611863 said:
I feel like I am getting close to being done and really would like it to be true! I love my stones and I don't need more. Like TL said, you can't take them with you.

Yes, and even the late great Elizabeth Taylor knew that. She was quoted as saying.

“I’ve never thought of my jewelry as trophies. I’m here to take care of it and to love it, for we are only temporary custodians of beauty.”

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great quotation. I like this one too: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." Mary Poppins

I know that I will always love gemstones although my mom thinks it has to do with my age (mid thirties). I think it is sad that she does not love her gems anymore because she is trying to detach herself from material possessions (a stage in Hinduism). I think we are so lucky that we see the beauty in these little works of art! So in that way I hope to never be done and I agree with Poppins all the way!

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
Since I've only been seriously buying stones for two or three months, then no! Haha. I second what Kelli said. I'm learning about smaller stones, its fun to pick up the smaller ones and learn how to be creative and set something unique and/or beautiful. I don't have any of the big ones on my list, probably won't get my first for another 2-4 years.

Saying that, I tend to burn through hobbies. I get so intense into a new hobby or thing and go into it full force then burn out once I feel I have learned enough to say I did it and did it well. So I can totally see myself cooling down in the long run and not being as active, maybe only getting something if I feel it truly moves me or would be a fantastic gift for someone.

In the mean time, I say that no one here should be done, so I can live through everyone else's purchases! :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take these mini-vacations from stones every once in a while and wonder if I'm done. Then the old hankering starts up and I'm jonesing for another sumpin sumpin. I do notice that these days there are very few stones that catch my eye and make me have that overwhelming, gut pulling "I want!" feeling. So...while I search for stones that make me have that visceral desire, I am now finally, and seriously, thinking about setting some things. :))

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm done with gems. I stopped when I looked at my tray and realized that I have everything I wanted, and they're all still loose. The stuff that have been set get no wear because I wear mostly diamonds. Okay, that's a lie... I hardly even wear my diamonds these days. Everything's sitting in the safe, and it's such a waste, but I can't get myself to sell anything either. It's a sickness.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
TL|1391955796|3611376 said:
I'm done because

1) It's too costly
3) You only live for a specified amount of time. You can't take your gems and jewelry with you, so as I get older, I realize there are more important things in life.

I share some of these feelings too. Especially the part to do with age.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1391955796|3611376 said:
I'm done because

1) It's too costly

Down to a T; life's too short so I plan to wear my current pieces more often. Most of the material I see are either not as nice as I saw years ago and /or twice as much, which I'm unwilling to pay that much for today. My focus the next few years are to set my loose gems.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Ilovegemstones, southernsunset, Minou, Fortekittey, Innerkitten and Chrono, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've been having thinking along the lines of what many of you said. I was always slow, methodical, and budget constrained, so I only have a few stones, but they're all lose and not set, and my "list" is much shorter than it was. In fact, I am now looking for stones that I never found over the years, not stones that are new desires.

I need to start setting my colored stones too. I wonder if I could get a bulk discount deal from someone if I set them all at once. (Thinking out loud; that's probably a horrible idea as I'll learn more if I set one at a time.)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious said:
I need to start setting my colored stones too. I wonder if I could get a bulk discount deal from someone if I set them all at once. (Thinking out loud; that's probably a horrible idea as I'll learn more if I set one at a time.)

ForteKitty|1392071838|3612216 said:
I'm done with gems. I stopped when I looked at my tray and realized that I have everything I wanted, and they're all still loose. The stuff that have been set get no wear because I wear mostly diamonds. Okay, that's a lie... I hardly even wear my diamonds these days. Everything's sitting in the safe, and it's such a waste, but I can't get myself to sell anything either. It's a sickness.

Ha, you wonder if you can get a bulk discount for setting them all at once; I wonder if I can get a bulk discount by buying all at once from FK! :praise:

Grannie

Rough_Rock
I say I am finished and bam! A new temptation comes along. Right now I have pink zircon (not zirconia) I want to set. After that, I think/hope I can quit. :appl:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would never disparage the wisdom of the Great Grand Nanny, but I believe in this case Ms. Poppins was herself quoting John Keats. The poem is awfully long, but luck would have it that Ms Poppins herself may have only read the first line. The poem is four thousand lines long, this is the first stanza:

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o'er-darkened ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits. Such the sun, the moon,
Trees old and young, sprouting a shady boon
For simple sheep; and such are daffodils
With the green world they live in; and clear rills
That for themselves a cooling covert make
'Gainst the hot season; the mid forest brake,
Rich with a sprinkling of fair musk-rose blooms:
And such too is the grandeur of the dooms
We have imagined for the mighty dead;
All lovely tales that we have heard or read:
An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven's brink.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
well, i only have 2 stones/rings so i am definitely not done. 1 is my wedding set (solitaire plus eternity) and the 2nd is my sapphire.

i know that this must sound like sacrilege on ps, but *gasp* ... i'm not that into jewelry. (don't worry, i have other vices!) don't get me wrong, i love learning about gems and admire the great variety of stones and settings that are shared here, esp in colored stones. but i'm just not the type of person that changes up my jewelry, wears something new/different when i dress up, etc. i don't wear a watch, either.

HOWEVER, my experience learning about and searching for my sapphire was so rewarding that i am definitely looking forward to doing it again. my major problem/weakness is that i am into the highest quality i can find, and i like statement pieces (i.e., size!) and i love the process of designing the piece itself.

next on my list is a ruby. then maybe emerald. hopefully my kids will enjoy the few gems i have one day ...

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VL, thanks for sharing that. That is exactly how I feel about gemstones, so I agree with Poppins and Keats.

Last night I dreamt that a new precision cut tourmaline I bought fell on the floor and I whacked my husband in his sleep. :( I was so happy to see it safe in its gembox this morning and looking at it really reminded me of that stanza in the poem.

I am happily not done, just more selective.

ETA: ForteKitty, don't be hard on yourself. Even looking at your gorgeous gems is still enjoying them, so that is good! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1392089729|3612518 said:
I wonder if I could get a bulk discount deal from someone if I set them all at once. (Thinking out loud; that's probably a horrible idea as I'll learn more if I set one at a time.)

I wish this too; I have many inexpensive stones that only need stock settings (8 prong earring studs, baskets for pendants and the like). For nicer stones, slowing down and taking the time to mull over the design will pay off in the long run in terms of overall satisfaction and more wear time unless inspirations hits, then all bets are off. :cheeky:

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As someone who admires more than collects, this is really interesting for me to read, and I appreciate everyone's sharing on this thread. For me, I can think of many, many dream stones that I'd love to own one day (holy grail step cut sapphire, merelani mint garnet, lighter pink spinel, bluish forest green tourmaline, spess, lavender spinel), but then I remember that I don't have a money tree & there are only so many things that I would actually wear :)

With that said and having finished a beautiful yellow sapphire, I will be content whenever I acquire the holy grail step cut sapphire and complete it with a ring. I can't imagine myself having more than just a few nice pieces, but who knows...with the list of hypothetical beauties above, the CS-bug is a hard temptation to fight!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm great question! No I dont think I'll ever be done. :naughty: I dont have a huge budget to start with so each stone & setting is much lusted after and often years in the making. I hope to pass them on to my future daughter/granddaughter as something very special. I only have a few pieces now so its a very slow progress. I did recently trade 3 stones for a setting so my collection is reduced now - only 3 coloured stone rings and 3 loose stones. I have a lovely strand of pearls coming my way soon so think that's my dash for the year! :love:

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm...I just lost my mom and had a few weeks of wondering why I bothered to collect anything. After packing up my mother's beloved belongings collecting lost its appeal. But something changed after a few weeks. For me the passion of collecting what I love gives me pleasure and makes my life more rewarding. I know I can't take my stones with
me but for now I am going to love these wonders of nature...these pieces of earth that gleam and glow in their infinite colors...until I can't anymore .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results