shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is everything so overpriced or horrible selection?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to get into pricing, but sapphires are highly marketed stones, and it's rare to find a nice saturated yellow that's not diffused.

This is why they're typically expensive, especially in higher qualities.

Chrysoberyl is a nice option, although some, not all, have a greenish secondary. They're not marketed as highly as sapphires, but very durable, hard, and take a great polish and luster, and much more affordable.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
goldstein|1418763302|3802441 said:
They only decent prices I can seem to find are on gemstoneuniverse.com - however not for the cut of the stones which are cut very poorly and are heavily windowed stones.

If the price seems "right" to you, can you buy what you want and have it recut?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
goldstein|1418771006|3802547 said:
Elliot86|1418770427|3802539 said:
Perhaps you would have better luck going to the mines yourself, digging the stone out of the mud, and learning the lapidary and goldsmith trade. If there is time you can spend a few years becoming a graduate gemologist to ensure the stone is unheated.

Why did you even come here? Surely it was just to ruffle feathers and not a genuine desire for advice?

Perhaps, you should tell that to the parasitical scumbag Jewelers who you hold so dearly.

Why did you even care about my personal opinions? Surely it was just because you have a bias and favor Jewelers.

I guess I just can't resist when a grown adult has a big baby tantrum when they come here with a budget that won't get them what they want and blame everyone else for it. You aren't the first and you won't be the last. PS can find you the best stone for your money if you don't behave like a child and calmly explain your needs. I just doubt you came here for genuine advice. You seem more like a troll with an axe to grind. Prove everyone wrong and start over or stop being rude to the people trying to help you out.

goldstein

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1418771842|3802554 said:

That depends how much it will cost me to have it re-cut and how much carat weight will lost.

If a very significant carat weight is lost; depending on how much I bought it for - I could actually lose money on that suggestion and would have paid much less buying a gemstones for that similar carat weight to start with and with just as good of a cut.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They only decent prices I can seem to find are on gemstoneuniverse.com - however not for the cut of the stones which are cut very poorly and are heavily windowed stones.

Goldstein,
Well, rare stones are not usually cut for beauty. It's not like buying a diamond, where you can specify exactly what you want in terms of cut, shape, clarity, carat weight, etc. . .

While a recut is an option, you can lose saturation if the stone is recut.

goldstein

Rough_Rock
Elliot86|1418772026|3802557 said:
Perhaps you would have better luck going to the mines yourself, digging the stone out of the mud, and learning the lapidary and goldsmith trade. If there is time you can spend a few years becoming a graduate gemologist to ensure the stone is unheated.

Why did you even come here? Surely it was just to ruffle feathers and not a genuine desire for advice?

Perhaps, you should tell that to the parasitical scumbag Jewelers who you hold so dearly.

Why did you even care about my personal opinions? Surely it was just because you have a bias and favor Jewelers.

I guess I just can't resist when a grown adult has a big baby tantrum when they come here with a budget that won't get them what they want and blame everyone else for it. You aren't the first and you won't be the last. PS can find you the best stone for your money if you don't behave like a child and calmly explain your needs. I just doubt you came here for genuine advice. You seem more like a troll with an axe to grind. Prove everyone wrong and start over or stop being rude to the people trying to help you out.

You just can't resist when someone says something you disagree with.

"blame everyone else for it." - I'm sure con-artists are never blamed.

"You aren't the first and you won't be the last." - Obviously you have a lot of pissed off consumers than who've been ripped off.

"PS can find you the best stone for your money if you don't behave like a child and calmly explain your needs. " - Since when did I lash out in curse words or give personal insults? How do you know my blood pressure currently?

"I just doubt you came here for genuine advice." - I just doubt you came here to give non-bias advice and not pandering to merchants and Jewelers and those in the trade.

"You seem more like a troll with an axe to grind." -You seem more like a shill.

"stop being rude" - Don't confuse my honest, straight-forward and blunt remarks with rudeness. There is a difference.

goldstein

Rough_Rock
TL|1418772267|3802560 said:

Goldstein,
Well, rare stones are not usually cut for beauty. It's not like buying a diamond, where you can specify exactly what you want in terms of cut, shape, clarity, carat weight, etc. . .

While a recut is an option, you can lose saturation if the stone is recut.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I appreciate your perspective and will take it into consideration.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I think the 3ct+ round unheated yellow sapphire is pretty nice on gemfix's site.
Fits your budget, and not that light in saturation.
Yellow sapphire is not in high demand comparing to blue or pink, you should be able to find one within your budget IMO.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

I think you should stop being aggressive and rude !!!! Otherwise the admins should delete your topic!

Many here wanted to help you - you ask stupid questions ( your other topics) and now you want to "explain" gem buiness.

Many PSer are trade person - not sharks, parasites or fraudster. This is unfair!!

Sorry, this is typical for a troll!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Goldstein, I understand wanting to get the most bang for the buck, etc. but your budget is not the vendor's problem.
sometimes it does take a very long time to find exactly what you want at the price you want to pay.
only you the buyer can decide if you want to take that amount of time and do the research necessary to understand the trade offs.
color stones just is not the same as diamond shopping.

right now vendors are very busy filling orders for buyers who placed orders earlier.
inventory may also be low.
time is $ and getting those prior orders out has to be a priority.
perhaps after the holidays and before the Tucson gem show you can establish a relationship with a vendor willing to work with you who will shop for you there.

good luck....I think you're going to need it.

liao

Shiny_Rock
wow. you need to chill a little bit :naughty:
guess what, gemstone is a luxury instead of basic need... you will not die even if you buy b-treated sapphire. Calling them parasite is highly offensive! and it makes you sounds immature.

About your argument on gold, try to read Irrational Exuberance by Robert James Shiller. Or The Age of Fallibility and The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
BTW Goldstein,

I think that you should check out Peter Torraca's site. He has a nice looking 2.46 carat, precision cut, unheated yellow sapphire.
His website is torraca.net

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite frankly, Goldstein, I think you shouldn't waste your money on a natural gemstone. Since you think the business is so bad, buy a synthetic. Better color, lower cost, you can get it custom cut to whatever shape you want and it'll still come in under budget for your ring. If you have such a negative opinion of the gem trade, DON'T PARTICIPATE IN IT.

I personally will not now or on any other thread be helping you search for a natural stone of any kind.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHAAAAA!
IT'S NOT MY FAULT I WANT SOMETHING I CAN'T AFFORD!
THE WHOLE WORLD JUST SUCKS!
WHAAAAA!

MOMMY ALWAYS TOLD ME I WAS SPECIAL!
WHAAAAA!

screen_shot_2014-12-16_at_4.png

goldstein

Rough_Rock
Marlow|1418773519|3802584 said:

I think you should stop being aggressive and rude !!!! Otherwise the admins should delete your topic!

Many here wanted to help you - you ask stupid questions ( your other topics) and now you want to "explain" gem buiness.

Many PSer are trade person - not sharks, parasites or fraudster. This is unfair!!

Sorry, this is typical for a troll!

" I think you should stop being aggressive and rude !!!! " Pretty ironic... You have exclamation points in pretty much every sentence making demands. Take you own advice.

"Otherwise the admins should delete your topic!" if you don't like this thread, leave and make your own thread where you can start your own topic.

"you ask stupid questions" - you talk a lot of garbage...

"now you want to "explain" gem buiness." I can talk about whatever I want. This is my topic - go get your own.

"Many PSer are trade person - not sharks, parasites or fraudster." that statement right there explains how bias you are.

"Sorry, this is typical for a troll" - Sorry, this is typical for a shill.

I'll leave you with one good quote...

'It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.'
-Upton Sinclair

goldstein

Rough_Rock
liao|1418774274|3802594 said:
Calling them parasite is highly offensive! and it makes you sounds immature.

About your argument on gold, try to read Irrational Exuberance by Robert James Shiller. Or The Age of Fallibility and The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros

I'm not a big proponent of gold investing. I was merely making a comparison that Gold is a far better store of value than any gemstone and more liquid as well. In fact, I even pointed out how gold fell from the $2,000/ounce high to $1,200

Calling them a parasite is only offensive because it's the politically incorrect but factually correct truth. That's all... But immature?

I disagree, but you are free to think what you want.

goldstein

Rough_Rock
kenny|1418777766|3802645 said:
WHAAAAA!
IT'S NOT MY FAULT I WANT SOMETHING I CAN'T AFFORD!
THE WHOLE WORLD JUST SUCKS!
WHAAAAA!

MOMMY ALWAYS TOLD ME I WAS SPECIAL!
WHAAAAA!

Resorting to personal attacks and insults because you can't counter the statements that I made which you don't like because you disagree with?

Very grown-up.

goldstein

Rough_Rock
distracts|1418774848|3802606 said:
Quite frankly, Goldstein, I think you shouldn't waste your money on a natural gemstone. Since you think the business is so bad, buy a synthetic. Better color, lower cost, you can get it custom cut to whatever shape you want and it'll still come in under budget for your ring. If you have such a negative opinion of the gem trade, DON'T PARTICIPATE IN IT.

I personally will not now or on any other thread be helping you search for a natural stone of any kind.

Maybe you are right.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Goldstein, just out of curiosity, what would you consider a fair price for the stone, if a gem cutter were to pick up a nice unheated yellow sapphire while in Tucson, then recut it into a beautifully cut stone. Lets say they found a 3 ct stone for $3000 and recut it into a fantastic 2 ct stone?

liao

Shiny_Rock
goldstein|1418779891|3802657 said:

I'm not a big proponent of gold investing. I was merely making a comparison that Gold is a far better store of value than any gemstone and more liquid as well. In fact, I even pointed out how gold fell from the $2,000/ounce high to $1,200

Calling them a parasite is only offensive because it's the politically incorrect but factually correct truth. That's all... But immature?

if you think jewelers are parasite, what do you think about De Beers for monopolizing the supply of world diamond and manipulating its price?

goldstein

Rough_Rock
PrecisionGem|1418780359|3802664 said:
Goldstein, just out of curiosity, what would you consider a fair price for the stone, if a gem cutter were to pick up a nice unheated yellow sapphire while in Tucson, then recut it into a beautifully cut stone. Lets say they found a 3 ct stone for $3000 and recut it into a fantastic 2 ct stone?

A fair price is a price covering the costs of the mining and any cutting costs with reasonable profit and based upon market demand and price; if you can actually travel to the mine.

If not - than you should you be allowed to go to wholesalers and purchase it for another reasonable markup without having a parasite Jeweler funnel the Gem to you for double without even the Jeweler themselves first buying the gemstone and just merely handing you a access code to buy it from a completely different supplier.

That's called bringing no value and being a parasite.

goldstein

Rough_Rock
liao|1418780894|3802676 said:
goldstein|1418779891|3802657 said:

if you think jewelers are parasite, what do you think about De Beers for monopolizing the supply of world diamond and manipulating its price?

Same thing on what I think about Jewelers.

And don't try to assume my intelligence. I have watched many documentaries, read and studied the entire diamond trade and also the DeBeers monopoly.

The bigger scumbags are of course the DeBeers cartel but Jewelers are not scum-free.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
goldstein|1418781489|3802681 said:
Niel|1418780683|3802671 said:

Thanks for the help.

That's actually quite a nice yellow sapphire especially considering the excellent price. I will take it into consideration, defiantly.

Ita actually a chrysoberyl, not a sapphire...

Based in your issues with jewelers, I honestly think a chrysoberyl is what you need. They are not popular, so do not command a high premium like sapphires, they are great stones for everyday wear, like a sapphire is. They come in yellow tones, are affordable, and hardly ever treated.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You are preaching, or rather, aggressing to the choir. You can vent, spew, rant, but it really won't help you in getting a yellow sapphire you desire.

Unless you just really want to vent, spew, rant...

goldstein

Rough_Rock
canuk-gal|1418781803|3802686 said:
Unless you just really want to vent, spew, rant...

Yes. That's what I want to do.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Is this a new way to vie for the PS Holiday Getaway?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results