shape
carat
color
clarity

Why Don't We Love Iolite?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Iolite is a lovely blue, it's cheap and doesn't seem to be treated. Why don't we all have iolite asschers in LOGR ring settings?

What am I missing?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Iolite is pleochroic so it will usually show some gray or other undesirable colour when viewed from a different angle. It is also naturally brittle, has 3 distinct cleavage directions and low heat sensitivity.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono said:
Iolite is pleochroic so it will usually show some gray or other undesirable colour when viewed from a different angle. It is also naturally brittle, has 3 distinct cleavage directions and low heat sensitivity.

It also doesn't sparkle much. I don't know the RI, but it really isn't the most attractive gem in most qualities. A good iolite that is well cut, to where it won't show grey, is hard to find.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I like iolite! In fact, I wanted to buy some to set with my white topaz from Doug/Bespoke gems (asscher cut) and asked Barry about getting some. Barry said the rough out there is so poor and so highly priced that its not worth it at this time.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I like iolite! In fact, I wanted to buy some to set with my white topaz from Doug/Bespoke gems (asscher cut) and asked Barry about getting some. Barry said the rough out there is so poor and so highly priced that its not worth it at this time.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Grayish, and low sparkle.

Most of the iolite I've seen seem "flat" in real life. Granted, none of these were "fine" examples. I love sapphires too, but if I'd only seen commercial quality sapphires, I would probably be inclined to say that they are also grayish and flat, so my opinion might change if I see a nice iolite sometime in the future.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The greyish element puts off most people BUT you find a good one and it's incredibly similar to Tanzanite. I've got a pair of Iolite earrings and honestly, it's very very difficult to tell them apart from my Tanzanites. They were a very lucky find and I've not seen any the same colour since.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good iolite is very hard to find. Most of it just looks bad. I saw some good iolite and it was lovely.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't mind the grey, but I prefer stones that sparkle more. Most of the iolite I've seen is a pretty blue-purple color, but flat in terms of sparkle.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
LOL no problem. Tell Andrew I'll take my cut in stones. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results