shape
carat
color
clarity

Who wants a red diamond?

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
kenny about your brown, i seriously think the only option you have is to find a larger brown diamond with the color that you want and have it recut by someone to the size that you need! i agree, no sane person would cut a 30 pointer brown diamond... they would probably just throw the rough away since their time cutting it does not equal to the money they'll make after cutting it...

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
periwinklegirl|1319426541|3046337 said:
I hear you. I know that it's the most vauable colour. In person I suspect it's pretty dark though.
I got a tiny reddish purple one (I assume it's irradiated), mostly because I wanted to see what they are like in person, and it's just too dark.
The picture was great though. Too bad that in person it's so tiny.

Hello Perwinklegirl,

I just thought it worth noting that an irradiated red diamond and a naturally colored red diamond most likely have a different coloring mechanism, and could thus lead to a slightly different appearance. Specifically while the vast majority of red diamonds are colored by plastic deformation of the crystal lattice, an irradiated diamond is colored by vacancies within the crystal. The light that passes through a diamond interacts with these phenomena differently and thus a slight different appearance results. I agree that most red diamonds can appear dark in many lighting situations, but it is not always the case.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters too much.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, there is a dang simple solution to your brown problem.

Pick a pure brown of 0.6ct, get it recut into a 0.3ct octavia. Problem solved!

I hear you with the colours. I think the secret to being able to enjoy your collection is that they have to remain loose at those sizes so that the beauty is unhindered. I do personally feel that from 0.3ct onwards FCDs seem VERY sizeable. But I've not seen 8pts in person in a lovely colour.

The size question is far more relevant when the stones need to be set.

The financial collapse has put paid to my plans to increase my collection though (burnt badly in the last few months) - and news of the Argyle mine sputtering isn't bolstering my confidence in scoring a good buy. Along with the US$ strengthening from the latest Eurozone crisis fluctuations... My loss I guess.

Have to just be grateful I got my little pink round when I did... suddenly a VS2 round fancy seems like a bigger deal than it really should be. I would LOVE to add a blue and a green, at 0.3ct sizes. Perhaps one day I will manage to do so...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it only lasted a week, even at THAT price.

Screen shot 2011-11-02 at 8.49.46 AM.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1320201000|3052241 said:
Kenny, there is a dang simple solution to your brown problem.

Pick a pure brown of 0.6ct, get it recut into a 0.3ct octavia. Problem solved!

I hear you with the colours. I think the secret to being able to enjoy your collection is that they have to remain loose at those sizes so that the beauty is unhindered. I do personally feel that from 0.3ct onwards FCDs seem VERY sizeable. But I've not seen 8pts in person in a lovely colour.

The size question is far more relevant when the stones need to be set.

The financial collapse has put paid to my plans to increase my collection though (burnt badly in the last few months) - and news of the Argyle mine sputtering isn't bolstering my confidence in scoring a good buy. Along with the US$ strengthening from the latest Eurozone crisis fluctuations... My loss I guess.

Have to just be grateful I got my little pink round when I did... suddenly a VS2 round fancy seems like a bigger deal than it really should be. I would LOVE to add a blue and a green, at 0.3ct sizes. Perhaps one day I will manage to do so...

Poor DiaGem.
He'd be pulling his hair out cutting a 0.3 Octavia.
I think he or Karl said holding all those angles to tight tolerances is very challenging and they couldn't really go under 1 ct or so.

Yes, you got a superb pink.
And being VS2 and round makes it even more of a needle in a haystack find.
Have you set it yet?
I'd love to see pics.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is grading these things??? :o :shock: Sorry Kenny, but that looks brownish red. :knockout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I shouldn't buy it?
:lol:

Honestly GIA's hue grades are huge.
I bought their laminated charts for Yellow and for Pink.
I would love to see side by side the most brownish, orangish and greenish yellow diamonds that GIA qualifies as "PURE" Vivid Yellow.

TL, maybe since you see brownish in it they'll give you a good deal . . . :naughty: :mrgreen:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1320769810|3056942 said:
I know nothing about colored diamonds, but Kenny, did you see this? Totally reminded me of you (although I think you'd scoff at the cut) http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-incredibly-rare-fancy-purplish-red-radiant-diamond-gia-r4300

Thanks, yes I saw that.
In fact a couple days ago I gave the vendor some critical feedback about that very diamond listing.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamonds-as-safe-haven.167871/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamonds-as-safe-haven.167871/page-2[/URL]

I have an FCD or two with much worse cut than that.
In white diamonds I'm a 4Cs slut, but in FCDs I'm primarily a color-slut. :D
The supply is just so limited.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1320769965|3056945 said:
So I shouldn't buy it?
:lol:

Honestly GIA's hue grades are huge.
I bought their laminated charts for Yellow and for Pink.
I would love to see side by side the most brownish, orangish and greenish yellow diamonds that GIA qualifies as "PURE" Vivid Yellow.

TL, maybe since you see brownish in it they'll give you a good deal . . . :naughty: :mrgreen:

I have to say Kenny, that is one of the ugliest colored diamonds I have ever seen in regards to color only, besides dark dog poo brown. I'm not joking either. I much much MUCH rather have a fancy pink. That's what I call an investment piece, because no one in their right mind would buy that thing for it's beauty, would they??? :shock: bleck!

Even the little red that started this thread is much more attractive. Maybe I need to see a video of it, because it looks so extinct, and brown.

ETA: The video of the DBL "fancy purplish red" diamond is much better than the static photo (which is a hideous photo too). I do wish Leibish would do videos, as some of their photographs do their gems no justice.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1320771555|3056976 said:
I have to say Kenny, that is one of the ugliest colored diamonds I have ever seen in regards to color only, besides dark dog poo brown.

This is the color of your dog's poo? What do you feed your dog?

fancy-red-argyle-oval-diamond-plg5349.285e1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1320780123|3057107 said:
TL|1320771555|3056976 said:
I have to say Kenny, that is one of the ugliest colored diamonds I have ever seen in regards to color only, besides dark dog poo brown.

This is the color of your dog's poo? What do you feed your dog?

I didn't say that particular diamond was dog poo brown, I said it was one of the ugliest colored diamonds besides dog poo brown. However, that is a brownish red, or reddish brown, take your pick.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1320770254|3056953 said:
athenaworth|1320769810|3056942 said:
I know nothing about colored diamonds, but Kenny, did you see this? Totally reminded me of you (although I think you'd scoff at the cut) http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-incredibly-rare-fancy-purplish-red-radiant-diamond-gia-r4300

Thanks, yes I saw that.
In fact a couple days ago I gave the vendor some critical feedback about that very diamond listing.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamonds-as-safe-haven.167871/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamonds-as-safe-haven.167871/page-2[/URL]

I have an FCD or two with much worse cut than that.
In white diamonds I'm a 4Cs slut, but in FCDs I'm primarily a color-slut. :D
The supply is just so limited.

Yes, and thanks for the advice Ken!

The purplish red diamond from our site you're referring to is nicely cut.
Nice high crown, and it's not a thick stone.

PS- thanks TL and athenaworth!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1320769323|3056929 said:
I'm sorry if I am annoying anyone, but this is so cool I just had to share the drool. :cheeky:

An 0.80 ct Pure Red Oval from the 2011 Argyle Tender just showed up.
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/5643.htm

Fancy Red? Do you think somebody was wearing rose tinted spectacles when they graded this one? I would call this orangeish brownish almost not quite redish with a bit of purplish thrown in. I certainly wouldn't call it red. I bet GIA are pleased I'm not grading diamonds!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't comment on the wares of other sellers- but I can say that photographing a red diamond is incredibly difficult......

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1320769323|3056929 said:
I'm sorry if I am annoying anyone, but this is so cool I just had to share the drool. :cheeky:

An 0.80 ct Pure Red Oval from the 2011 Argyle Tender just showed up.
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/5643.htm

Sadly... despite the comments from Leibish about how this red is a better colour than reds from the past few tenders, the pictures leave a lot to be desired. I wasn't blown away at all. I DO know the ridiculous rarity of the stone, and obviously this is the crowning stone of the 2011 tender - being the only red, and very close to 1ct.

But... the photo... just seems a bit... bleah.

I think a reshoot is in order. :D More photos please! (I hope Leibish people are looking in on these threads)

Yeah, a video from Leibish would be brilliant, especially for something this rare (and pricey). Did you get a chance to find out how much this baby cost?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1320788917|3057261 said:
I can't comment on the wares of other sellers- but I can say that photographing a red diamond is incredibly difficult......

Its nice to be a consumer, then we can say whatever the heck we want about people's stuff! :D :D

Actually, despite whatever was said in the post by Kenny (which IMHO had good points but was overly harsh) - I think that making any red available for sale to private collectors enriches all our awareness and appreciation for the rarest of the rare. I'm sure there is some halo effect for FCDs coming from the realisation of rarity and values for this most niche of gemstones.

I personally feel 98K is far too much to pay for this, but as with all things, I leave it to the buyer with the means and desire to decide whether or not it is a good price. Especially for a red - where availability just isn't there and only the sellers/buyers should decide the value.

I do agree with Kenny about not speculating excessively about market values due to grading of colours and what it might or might not be, and then what it might or might not be worth. Good salesmanship, but at this price point - perhaps transparent stewardship might be the best way forward vs excellent salesmanship? Hope that stone finds a good home RD!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
When I first saw a pic of the 0.8 carat red diamond above, I was not over the moon, but after going to the Smithsonian Natural History museum this weekend, I am starting to get it. The Hope diamond has a strong gray tone, and I would not want its color in any other stone. A sapphire in that color would not be nice. However, being a diamond with great clarity, and of course having the brilliance that comes with a diamond, it looks beautiful even with all the gray.

I think it's extremely hard to capture the beauty of colored diamonds in pictures. I posted a thread including a pic of the Hope diamond, and it looks pretty unimpressive. In person, it's a knockout.

I bet the red diamond would be pretty amazing. On a related vein, I think spinels with great crystal (which also have a high RI) can be phenomenally pretty in a various shade of reds and blues that I would not want to see in a corundum. Just my opinion. For me, the high clarity and RI of a stone allows for a larger range of pleasant colors. Rutile silk in corundums also forgives "problems", just different ones (like extinction).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm coming to this thread very late and the red diamond has already been sold. I just wanted to say that I'm a little bit sad that kenny didn't get it. Assuming that kenny could afford it and still have everything else he needs and wants in life, I'd like to see him have a pure red diamond if it gives him joy. I kind of relate to his mindset because I love D diamonds that that are VS2 clarity and above. And I know that canuk-gal wants a D/IF stone just for the sake of having one. Sometimes the idea of a tiny perfect thing can be joyful. Like a perfect snowflake.

Deb
:saint:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Deb, I like your analogy of the perfect snowflake.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1321393954|3062416 said:
I'm coming to this thread very late and the red diamond has already been sold. I just wanted to say that I'm a little bit sad that kenny didn't get it. Assuming that kenny could afford it and still have everything else he needs and wants in life, I'd like to see him have a pure red diamond if it gives him joy. I kind of relate to his mindset because I love D diamonds that that are VS2 clarity and above. And I know that canuk-gal wants a D/IF stone just for the sake of having one. Sometimes the idea of a tiny perfect thing can be joyful. Like a perfect snowflake.

Deb

Such a pretty thing to say ~ sigh....
I think many of us appreciate that sentiment :))

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock

Deb

I think Kenny does have a pure red, a 10 pointer IRC.

And IMO Kenny's red is much nicer than the other 3 red's discussed in this thread. It's pure :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1321446511|3062843 said:

And IMO Kenny's red is much nicer than the other 3 red's discussed in this thread. It's pure

Thanks for the heads up, Anonymous. Kenny...can we see your red in this thread? Would you grace us with a photo of it, here?

Deb
:read:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1321449929|3062859 said:
AN0NYM0US|1321446511|3062843 said:

And IMO Kenny's red is much nicer than the other 3 red's discussed in this thread. It's pure

Thanks for the heads up, Anonymous. Kenny...can we see your red in this thread? Would you grace us with a photo of it, here?

Deb
:read:

Thanks.
I ordered a new photography gadget so in a couple weeks I may take a lot of new pics but I'll try to take some new pics today with the gear I have.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Did you order the gem tent?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1321475262|3063113 said:
Did you order the gem tent?

No, I already have a light tent.
I finally ordered a lens reversing ring.

I have been very very happy with the magnification and resolution I can achieve with my bellows extension and macro lens, pictured below.
I just found out my current gear can only get up to 3x magnification (VERY substantial and unusual) but with a lens reversing ring I may be able to get almost 8x of magnification using my non-macro 28mm lens reversed.

What remains to be seen is the resolution at 8x throughout the entire field not just at the center of the frame, the working distance or how close the lens must be to the diamond (more distance is better to let light into the diamond) and the depth of field.

It is possible that while getting 8x magnification is groovy , the other factors may make it inferior overall to what I already am using.
I'll get the reversal ring in about 2 weeks.

I honestly doubt a $40 ring can outperform much more expensive macro gear, but getting over double my current magnification is tempting, and I just have to find out for myself.

222222.png

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I have to agree with the others. I like YOUR red diamond better. In fact, that's the one I sent you and you never sent it back to me! :lol:

BTW, I just penciled out W, T, and F from my calender. Please email me if you want the low down. ;))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,
You need a scanning tunneling electron microscope. I want to see those carbon atom lattices up close!! ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1321658589|3064792 said:
Kenny,
You need a scanning tunneling electron microscope. I want to see those carbon atom lattices up close!! ;))
Hahaha.

No, what I need is a 10-carat Red diamond. :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results