shape
carat
color
clarity

white zircon?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Anyone know where I can get an affordable one- preferably in a decent size with a diamond-like cut? I know they're not durable but if I'm not spending too much I'm ok with that. Thanks in advance:)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I presume you have looked through the vendors' list? Unfortunately, there is no one place that can be recommended because inventory is constantly changing. Not sure what size you are considering nor budget.

http://www.mineralminers.com/html/zirgems.stm

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you find a zircon you like, that isn't white, most can be turned white with some heat. Most colorless zircon sold is off color zircon that has been heated. It doesn't take much heat to burn off all the color.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
But then she has to find a cook! :bigsmile: Or is it another "Chicken Kunzite" job? :shock:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Uli has some nice australian white zircon - Palmer River.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1409672744|3743386 said:
If you find a zircon you like, that isn't white, most can be turned white with some heat. Most colorless zircon sold is off color zircon that has been heated. It doesn't take much heat to burn off all the color.
Is there a color that works best? Should you avoid any like blue?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Doug at Bespoke Gems - Australia has some beautiful zircons from NT. I've got exactly what you are looking for so I know they are out there!

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Niel|1409700009|3743679 said:
Blue are already treated, but it would imagine given some more heat the would go colorless, but you wouldn't want to as a blue zircon is worth more than white.

There are cheap brown stones from Nigeria that will what to colorless.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1409704854|3743727 said:
Niel|1409700009|3743679 said:
Blue are already treated, but it would imagine given some more heat the would go colorless, but you wouldn't want to as a blue zircon is worth more than white.

There are cheap brown stones from Nigeria that will what to colorless.

Thank goodness you explained that - I could see PSers and lurkers all over the world saying "I never liked that blue ring/pendant I'll try Gene's candle flame trick" :lol:

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Thanks everyone! I had looked through the usual places I've been looking lately but forgot about many of the others. I see some definite options here. The stone will be for my ten year old niece. I've gotten her into gems and she has a few but her favorite is a big white topaz because in her mind it looks like a diamond (at least more than her citrines and amethysts do). She asked me for another one of those for her upcoming birthday but I thought I could top the topaz with a zircon. I'll definitely warn her not to wear it to dance or gymnastics because of the durability thing. She really gets a kick out of dressing up for dinner anyway so she'll probably love the idea of a "dinner ring." And with the price I'll be paying it wouldn't be that hard to replace down the road if she chips it all up. I'll post pictures of whatever I end up getting. Thanks again!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
BTW, it's not "white" zircon. It's either silver or platinum. Just like my hair's not turning white...silver or platinum, it just sounds better. :rolleyes:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1409719653|3743858 said:
BTW, it's not "white" zircon. It's either silver or platinum. Just like my hair's not turning white...silver or platinum, it just sounds better. :rolleyes:

So just like horses then - they are never "white" always grey... :lol: I love the quirks we have in our language.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! That $25 one was too hard to pass up. I'll post pics when I get it! :D

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1409793435|3744402 said:

I'm so glad you found this! It's beautiful and exactly what she wanted- and for 25 bucks!! Being ten, she thinks it looks exactly like my diamond, and wants to put it in a prong set solitaire which I find adorable. :D I took some pictures of it on her hand. They're not loading for some reason right now but I'll keep trying.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
And a few more. I love the close up! Kinda makes me want one too. :love:

photo_1-26.jpg

photo_2-24.jpg

photo_3-16.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How adorable! Will the setting be silver? Please show us pics when its set

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect! :appl:

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys:) I was thinking I might do 10k white gold. I'd like to keep it somewhat affordable but silver is such a beast to size and she's got lots of time left to grow. I figured the setting is something she can keep forever and it wouldn't be hard to find a round 7mm replacement stone if she bangs this one up. Plus her sister ended up with a pretty expensive birthday gift from me this year because she chose a stone I already had (Jeff Davies spinel) for a pendant and the setting she wanted wasn't available in silver. So I guess it's only fair to spoil them rotten equally. :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results