shape
carat
color
clarity

which would you choose?

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info on palladium, wg, etc.

I have decided on one of two settings for a red spinel in 14K wg. Which would you choose, if you wanted a frequently worn ring, that is both classy and simple but beautiful? I'd like it to be a quality piece of jewelry--I'd like it to be really nice. I'm not planning on doing it often (finances) so I want it to be one of my nicer pieces.

Option 1:
http://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/2061

How much will that setting darken a stone? Not much, or some?

Pros: simple, pretty
Cons: must be custom ordered, so I can't "try it on" unless I purchase it and unsure what it would look like until I've already bought it

Option 2:
A ring with two *un* tapered baguette sidestones built into the band, similar to this (but not this one, I can't find a photo of the exact one, and it is at a B&M).

http://diamondsbylauren.com/Shapes/Baguette_examp6.jpg

Pros: pretty
Cons: perhaps a little blingy for non-wedding set everyday wear; I tend to not be too into diamonds or bling but I did like this because the bling factor was very understated and delicate. I like classy simplicity. Also exactly the same as my sister's fairly new e-ring, which I do not want her to think I am trying to copy or replicate--this is a hesitation I have with this setting, though it may be silly--she has a marquise center with baguettes built into the band on the side that she got in Nov when she got engaged, and this is very similar.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Both setting are classic looking (which you said you like) so I think it's just a matter of personal preference. Even though you can't try on the Unique setting, I would think you should be able to find something similar in a jewelry store to give you an idea of how it might look on your finger.

As far as the second ring is concerned, only you would know how your sister might react... it seems to be a concern for you, and personally, I wouldn't want a ring that might cause "sister problems"... having said that, if she wouldn't mind, then it's back to which one you like best.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
I don't think it would cause problems, realistically or IRL, but sometimes wonder if she would feel I was trying to "copy" her ring privately, KWIM? Honestly, we don't even live near each other (and we are moving overseas in six months so we'll be even further) so she might not even ever see it -- but I would wonder, if she did sometime, if she would think "oh she copied my ring."

What would you think if your sis had a similar ring--would you think that, or would it be a non-issue?

Has anyone owned a Unique? It is fairly good quality?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another way to look at it with your sister is that in some way, if it is really similar (which I question), it will remind you of her. My sisters would have no problem if I were to have something similar to one of them. We're all mush buckets and if it meant that we thought of each other, than good!

As to the similarity, it sounds like they will be different enough so that the similarity will end at a red stone with diamonds on the side. I don't actually think they'll be that similar, but the red-stone-right-after-her-red-stone timing factor sounds like its more the issue. That said, my vote is for the diamond sides...a little bling will make the red pop.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I'm sorry, her ring is not red. It's a marquis diamond that she has, on an extremely thin band (actually, the band I was looking at was thicker too). It's just that the settings would be pretty much the same. They would look like different centers. Sorry for not being clear.

I just can't make up my mind. At times I'm drawn to one, at times to the other. Guess it might be time for the pros/cons list. haha.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that is the case, then I would say they are not similar at all. If you still think it would bother her, then why don't you double check with her? [Now I'll stop trying to talk you into it, as I don't want to be accused of pressuring anybody for diamonds :naughty:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't recall seeing your thread about metal types (not sure if I contributed or not) BUT if I didn't, I just wanted to say that for me it would be w/gold over palladium any day and platinum would beat both for me! Palladium comes at the bottom of my list because it is really too grey. I've had two settings made in it now (with the whitest possible alloy mix) and it's still too grey. ;(

In terms of the setting I think both are lovely. I don't think either with darken the stone much but the first setting has more potential to do so as it has quite a bit of metal at the sides holding the stone. I can't see the sides of the other one so am not sure.

The only think I can say is that I once bought a round diamond with tapered baguettes and sent it back. It's one of those "regret" rings. I WISH WISH WISH I had kept it. The proportions were just wonderful and I've never seen it again. So, for me, I'd say go for #2 but that's the reason why!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
No. 1 is simple & classical, but unremarkable. For me, No.2 has more personality & I think baguettes would add presence to your red center stone. It sounds like the only real similarity to your sister's ring is that it has baguettes -- different shape & color center, different shank width -- & in that case, about 20% of all rings are close to hers. Can't imagine she'd mind, but it isn't a bad idea to run it by her if you want to. In most cases I like to let as much light as possible into a gem, jmho.

--- Laurie

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys.

I really wanted an open kind of setting, but I also am drawn to the Xprong type rings and tend to think it might protect the stone a little better. Not sure, though. The jeweler said it would not darken too much if at all with a setting like that, but I'm not sure I believe him. My favorite of all time was actually that Harout R ring I posted earlier this week--stunning!--but I don't want to go that high in price. :)

I do think they are both so classic. I guess I'm not sure if I would feel like it was too much to wear on a daily basis. My wedding set is a little blingy, but TBH, about 85% of the time, I just wear a plain gold band so I'm not sure if I would feel self-concious wearing something that "fancy" on a regular basis, or not. I love looking at bling, but I myself do not often choose much bling when choosing jewelry--but I do like when it accents like these. But at the same time, it's such a classic style. But so is the solitaire. I guess I'm wondering which one I would regret more if I "sent it back".

LD, in reference to the metals, I did think seriously about platinum but it's just too high right now. I would love to put it in that, just for durability's sake/low maintenance. I found a setting last weekend at Jared's, actually--it was a secondhand, and I don't think it was a "JAred's" setting specifically, just one they bought to re-sell I believe, as it wasn't even in the inventory online or elsewhere--and it was TO DIE FOR. Moon cut diamonds built into the band which was about 4 or 5 mm of platinum,kind of vintage looking. It was stunning, but so was the price tag--as have been all the platinum quotes I got this week. haha. The only other option I thought was thinking, maybe, to save up for a plain platinum Tiffany style solitaire, which on Blue Nile is only about $100 more than what I will spend on this particular setting (both of the two I am looking at are just under $500) but I'm not sure how I feel about wearing a Tiffany style on my RH--would that be appropriate? For some reason Tiffany styles feel more like e-rings to me than anything else (probably because I have a similar one for my actual e-ring). I decided on WG after my thread on palladium just because we are moving about every three years with my H 's job and I want jewelers anywhere to be able to work with it, and apparently palladium isn't as common.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
How do you upload on here? I am trying to upload the pic of the actual setting. The baguettes are not tapered, which does give it a different look.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
IMG_1773%20-%20Copy.jpg

Got it! My images were too big. Here is the one with baguettes, the actual one. The baguettes are not tapered which IMO is not quite as delicate but still pretty. The other is the Unique SEtting of NY ring above. Hopefully that is a better comparison. Third option, which I have also considered, is the plain, the classic, the Tiffany knife edge.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring I regret not keeping had straight baguettes also. I've just been looking at a photo of it. ;(

Ok, how to upload:

1. make sure that your photo is in jpeg or png format
2. it helps to resize (there's a standard size that's approximately 640x480)
3. click on "upload attachment" - you'll see that tab below the box where you are typing when you reply to a thread.
4. That opens a box allowing you to browse your computer and select the file.
5. click on the file you want to upload and then I think it says something like "save" or "upload" or something.

You do need to have a few words of text also so type something before uploading the photo.

HTH

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I think I just figured it out as you were typing--made smaller files. Can you see my files? Did they come through?

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Kitten35|1330797594|3139965 said:
I don't think it would cause problems, realistically or IRL, but sometimes wonder if she would feel I was trying to "copy" her ring privately, KWIM? Honestly, we don't even live near each other (and we are moving overseas in six months so we'll be even further) so she might not even ever see it -- but I would wonder, if she did sometime, if she would think "oh she copied my ring."

What would you think if your sis had a similar ring--would you think that, or would it be a non-issue?

If this happened with my sister and me, I think we would be really flattered that the other one liked our design enough to want it! Though our tastes differ enough that this is unlikely to happen (which may be part of why we would be flattered?)

I'd ask if you think it might be an issue (and if you have the kind of relationship where you're likely to receive an honest answer -- my sister and I would certainly not be shy about telling one another this kind of thing).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No photos - are you trying to post from a phone? I'm not sure if you can do that (maybe - I haven't tried).

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
No, I'm posting from DH's computer.

The pic is back in the thread a little bit, does it show up now? I can see it on my monitor. Wierd.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
What about this setting from American Set in 14K WG? I like the price a little better and it is so similar to the one I posted, though there are no double prongs; there is still an X prong type setting though. Would this let enough light into the setting for the stone to shine or would this also run the risk like the other of being a little darker? The stone is a red spinel from WildFish, I posted it on a different thread. My main concern is, will this be too dark?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14k-WHITE-GOLD-ROUND-LUCIDA-DIAMOND-RING-ENGAGEMENT-/250994111376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a706a3390#ht_2221wt_936

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really REALLY like the setting with the baguettes; diamonds really complement coloured gemstones. The fact that they are step cut diamonds and quite small, they won't be blingy at all. They just provide some colour contrast and a bit of occasional flash. I would also choose unplated 14K white gold because most red spinels look best in a warmish metal. Palladium will be my last metal of choice because of the grayness, lightweight factor and that not many jewellers will work with it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Chrono - there is something about diamonds that make vibrant red stones pop...

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So as I'm a bit bored and had my head in a spreadsheet for the past 2hours I though I'd photoshop some ring ideas together. I though it might show you some different options. (By looking at the rings I've put together you can tell I wholeheartedly agree with Chrono that your red spinel needs some diamonds.)

Whilst I love the look of the tapered baguettes I would not recommend having a similar/the same setting as your sister, it will only end in upset. If my sister picked a red spinel pretty soon after I'd picked one or went for a similar setting I would be very disappointed. You onlt have to look thru posting history on here to see how upset people get about *possible* copying. How about bezelling the baguettes or having them NS orientated like pics 1 & 10, that would give you the look you like whilst being a very different concept to your sister. Or simplifying ring 4 to use one longer row of rounds to create a baguette illusion.

I hope this helps!

red spinel setting ideas.jpg

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for those pics! It does look good with those.

Just to clarify, my sis does not have a red spinel. She has a *similar* setting to the one I was looking at at the B&M though--she's got tapered baguettes built into the band, and these are similar though they aren't tapered. I know if I was her I wouldn't really care if she "copied" my ring--I have a Tiffany style, so lots of people have that--but I think she might be a little bit bugged. She would *say* she wasn't, but I think she might be, especially since her ring is fairly new to her. Problem is, I really like baguettes--I have a wedding ring wrap of baguettes (not in the same style of hers) and really liked it best on my finger. Her ring however is #6 exactly, except with a marquis center diamond. I saw a few cheaper settings on AmericanSEt with sidestones and will look at them and post a few options here.

EDIT: Here is one I liked. I'm not wild about pave because I want this to be an everday or very frequent wear ring, but here is one with channel sides which would be more secure, and very small amount of bling which I think would be pretty subdued. Do we like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-GOLD-ROUND-CHANNEL-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-RING-SETTING-/220953782421?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item3371df2895#ht_2081wt_932

I did also like the trellis--in fact, it is exactly the same one as the one I tried at the local jeweler the other day and he quoted me $1100 for the trellis type setting that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I was about ready to buy it and have it set until he called with the quote (they had to order the WG. I tried it in YG, which was old stock, and much less inflated--this store typcially inflates everything though). I did really like the simplicity and classy look with my stone, I'm just not sure if it would be too dark in non-jewelry store lighting. Thoughts on that?

What about this? It's kind of plain, I think I like the Trellis better, but my mom has a simple diamond solitaire set in a huge band and it is one of my favorite rings she owns. Do you like, or move on?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14k-WHITE-GOLD-CATHEDRAL-DIAMOND-RING-SOLITAIRE-SETTING-/220964770077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337286d11d#ht_2269wt_936

The third option I have been thinking of is a plain Tiffany style knife edge in platinum. On AmericanSet they are a little more affordable and I was planning on offering a little bit less if I went that route and see if they accept the offer, maybe around $500 instead of $580 since I would still have to have it set. That would allow enough light into the stone, I just don't know if it would look too "engagementy" on my RH to wear a Tiffany style, especially a knife edge. I *love* them though. Thoughts?

This one or this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLATINUM-DIAMOND-RING-SETTING-SETTING-SEMI-MOUNT-/220955505624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3371f973d8#ht_2955wt_936

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLATINUM-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-RING-SETTING-SEMI-MOUNT-/220953318795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3371d8158b#ht_2216wt_936

As far as metal choice, it's either WG if I go with any other setting, or *maybe* platinum if I go with the Tiffany style. If I get one that is already at the jeweler, I will just wait for the plating to come off (my friend has unplated rings actually, I was looking at them last night, they are very pretty). If the AmericanSEt comes plated as well, I'll probably just wait for it to wear off.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Anyone have any thoughts on these I posted earlier today?

I think now my primary goal is to show off the stone with maximum light. I was looking at it in the sun today and the flashes of red just pop out. But it definitely needs maximum light for the color to be TDF. For reference here is the spinel: http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/8957...

IRL the color is close, but a tad darker I think in most lights (however, in full sun it is pretty darn close to the photo).

Recommendations with settings posted or other settings anywhere? Would the American SEt with diamonds on the side sit up higher/let in more light than the baguette one, or no? I am also considering just another plain platinum tiffany I found on ebay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results