shape
carat
color
clarity

Which stone do you NOT see yourself buying?? :)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! I am just curious to know what are the type of stone or color (that is popular or well-like by the majority) however it just does not appeal to you? For me, it's the Mahenge spinel and vanadium Chrysoberyl :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
tsav - I am not super fond of green stones except for peridot and *some* emeralds. I can admire them, but green is just not my color. Nor is hot pink. I could see myself with a spress but it would have to lean heavily yellow into that glorious in between shade which isn''t popular around here.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I bought one tsavorite, and I have no aching for another. I keep comparing the green to emerald unfortuantely. I also don't like flame spinels or most red spinels actually (I like pink and hot pink spinels though), and definitely aqua, morganite, kunzite, scapolite, yellow sapphire, citrine, reddish family garnets, are some other gems I will avoid.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2010 5:02:02 AM
Author:chictomato
Hi there! I am just curious to know what are the type of stone or color (that is popular or well-like by the majority) however it just does not appeal to you? For me, it''s the Mahenge spinel and vanadium Chrysoberyl :)

I saw a vanadium chrysoberyl at Intergem recently. Not only was it expensive, it was the color of a corpse.
32.gif
It was sparkly and had nice luster, but if that''s a good example, I''m not spending all that money on one. It was very expensive.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/20/2010 7:27:23 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 5/20/2010 5:02:02 AM

Author:chictomato

Hi there! I am just curious to know what are the type of stone or color (that is popular or well-like by the majority) however it just does not appeal to you? For me, it''s the Mahenge spinel and vanadium Chrysoberyl :)

I saw a vanadium chrysoberyl at Intergem recently. Not only was it expensive, it was the color of a corpse.
32.gif
It was sparkly and had nice luster, but if that''s a good example, I''m not spending all that money on one. It was very expensive.
CORPSE! Sound scary! I like bright chrysoberyl though:) I pretty much like the opposite. I like blue, green and red
21.gif
particularly red spinel!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly doubt I’ll be buying any aquamarines, morganites, kunzites, scapolites, citrines, Malaya garnets, topaz, and a few varieties of tourmalines. They all have issues that I am unable to accept.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 8:25:40 AM
Author: Chrono
I highly doubt I’ll be buying any aquamarines, morganites, kunzites, scapolites, citrines, Malaya garnets, topaz, and a few varieties of tourmalines. They all have issues that I am unable to accept.
what sort of issues? I''m curious :) This whole arena is new to me! I never liked aquamarine... I''m surprised I got one!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aquamarine: Most are very desaturated and gray. To get something devoid of gray is difficult to find and too expensive for what it is.
Morganite: Too washed out and pale unless one goes super huge which then becomes unwearable or impractical to wear
Kunzite: Fades under sun exposure (UV)
Scapolite: Never liked the brownish colour
Citrine: Ditto plus it’s a softer stone
Malaya garnet: Don’t like the brownish colour it shifts to indoors
Topaz: Cannot accept nuked stones, plus most imperial topaz are too brown. The super nice ones are out of my budget, not to mention very difficult to find.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I dunno, I''m kind of an equal opportunity gem buyer. I''d rather not rule something out ahead of time in case I do find an attractive specimen.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fan of any form of beryl (aqua/morganite/emerald), Mahenge spinel, ruby, red spinel, spessartite, or sunstone. In general, this is because I don''t like red/orange or included stones. I also will probably never get a Paraiba tourmaline because of the prohibitive cost, regardless of how much I like them!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
nice list chrono
1.gif
..rubies for me

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2010 11:11:06 AM
Author: amethystguy
nice list chrono
1.gif
..rubies for me
Well, the only rubies I like, I can''t afford in this lifetime. BTW, I thought you only hated amethyst!
2.gif

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
For me, it''s rubies. I just...do not get the appeal. I''ve seen plenty IRL as well as pictures and a more distasteful, milky, weird-pink-red-but-not-quite-red stone I couldn''t invent even if I tried. Ugh.

Hee hee, was fun to vent!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, will never buy a color change garnet (too extinct) or an alexandrite, apatite or peridot (the latter are too soft and I don't like the luster on apatite).

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
oh..ld is going to kill me but I must also say alex too. might be because I have never had one or seen one that floated the ole boat..don''t let LD see this..shhhh
3.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Anything that is nuked.

Things like green amethyst that are basically crappy quality quartz that has been heat-treated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2010 11:34:08 AM
Author: amethystguy
oh..ld is going to kill me but I must also say alex too. might be because I have never had one or seen one that floated the ole boat..don''t let LD see this..shhhh
3.gif
Don''t tell her you don''t love mystic topaz either, her heart will be broken. LOL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TANZANITE!!!! Now LD will officially kill me instead of you Amguy!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
ametrine,
anything cooked, nuked, dyed, diffused, or synthesized from peanut butter

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
also red garnet..any other color garnet is fine but not red(dark red)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a fan of anything purple or purplish (so no amethysts, purplish garnets, etc)
No hot/loud colors, so no hot pink spinels or paraiba colored things.
Nothing heated or treated.

I tend to like things with a deep, rich color, or a light refreshing color.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2010 9:17:10 AM
Author: Kismet
I dunno, I''m kind of an equal opportunity gem buyer. I''d rather not rule something out ahead of time in case I do find an attractive specimen.
Ditto.

I tend to not like large diamonds though as they don''t appeal to me much unless they''re colored
(small ones are great as accent stones)

-A

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
goes to show the varying preferences and opinions..good to see so much diversity

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 11:44:10 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
TANZANITE!!!! Now LD will officially kill me instead of you Amguy!
I said that too! I''d honestly never seen one in person, or on tv, or in photos - other than MTG''s, that I even half way liked. Curiosity got the best of me and well, I''ll never say never about a gemstone again! It''s a shame they''re so soft.
3.gif

I won''t rule anything out. I''m impulsive and sometimes a bit out there so if it catches my eye it''s fair game regardless.
25.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
An emerald. I love the look of fine emeralds but anything in my budget would probably be treated and included or really washed out. So I''ll stick to green garnets and tourmalines.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t see myself buying alexandrites or color-change gemstones - just not a fan. To the extent I am able, I also stay away from stones treated outside industry norms for that stone.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
there are few, but number one is Tanzanite... They just seem too soft to me, and I do not like anything that has to be cooked to be "pretty". I also strongly dislike most of the morganites I''ve seen. Any "nuked" stone as someone said earlier. I am also no fan of white diamonds. I also pretty strongly dislike any quartz family gemstone. I think there are few outside of that in "perfect" color/cut that I wouldn''t like in my collection. Dare I mention super low grade rubies, sapphires, or emeralds that look like red, blue, or green plastic respectively?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2010 4:27:14 PM
Author: soberguy
there are few, but number one is Tanzanite... They just seem too soft to me, and I do not like anything that has to be cooked to be ''pretty''.

I used to feel the same way...until I found an unheated tanzanite cut by Gene, it has a yummy color too despite being unheated. I put it in a pendant due to the softness issues (see avatar). I have to say, I''ve grown to really really love it! The sparkle and liveliness is amazing, and the pleochromism is a lot of fun.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results