shape
carat
color
clarity

Which stone do you NOT see yourself buying?? :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to say, "unheated and untreated", but honestly, who knows what we are buying without a GIA or an AGL certificate? Even unheated Brazilian amethysts are, likely, heated.

I do not fancy:

- aquamarine
- morganite
- kunzite
- opals
- most pearls
- ametrine unless there are other attractions (e.g. a specific cut)
- very small stones unless for a special project

- any stones just because they are "special". I yet have to see a beautiful paraiba. When I see one, I shall start looking for it. At the same time, vanadium chrysoberyl that I saw at Seattle gem and jewelry show (I think I started the trend) was beautiful but very expensive. I would have bought it but decided to educate myself first.

- I would not buy pricey stones on ebay unless I know this vendor well. Or other people have had excellent experience with him/her. In fact, I know that other people snatch wonderful deals on ebay but I have to be very cautious because to me ebay is like Internet - attractive and helpful but full of viruses.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Tanzanite.

Just doesn''t appeal to me.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 9:08:00 AM
Author: Chrono

Kunzite: Fades under sun exposure (UV)
Malaya garnet: Don’t like the brownish colour it shifts to indoors
I had no idea about the Kunzite fading. I have one but it has only set in the gemstone case and never exposed to light.

Lucky for my .. my one and only malaya only shifts pink, peach, and red.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Apatite and emeralds both make me break out in a cold sweat lol! They are the only stone types I''ve fractured while setting and they scare me to death. Unfortunately for me though, I like both
7.gif

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Tanzanite! If I can''t put a stone into an ultrasonic cleaner, can''t put it in an everyday ring, can''t expose it temperature extremes, etc., etc., why is it still called a "stone"? Hardened Play Dough seems more durable! :D

And there''s something about the color that seems a little unreal. Almost Too Beautiful. I can see why a lot of people like them, because they are so pretty, but to me, it''s just too risky a stone.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 6:57:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 5/22/2010 2:05:03 PM

Author: jstarfireb

Date: 5/21/2010 10:43:02 PM

Author: brazen_irish_hussy

I have absolutely no issue with treated stones as long as the treatment is disclosed. I feel the same way about lab created. As long as I am paying for what I am getting, it is chemically the same and it is pretty, I don''t understand the purity issue. They are rocks.

Ditto. I never really understood why some people object to treatment...but I see a strong preference for untreated stones among most PSers. IMO, if it makes a stone prettier, it''s all good. And while I tend not to buy synthetic/lab-created stones, if they''re the same chemical formula as the real thing and not just a simulant, I have no problem with it.

I don''t typically mind gentle heating (try to avoid it though), but all other treatments bother me because I rather the stone be as close to how mother nature created it (except for faceting) as possible. For me, it''s a mind issue, rather than a visual one. It''s like admiring a beautiful movie star and then you found out they had a ton of plastic surgery, it kind of ruins their persona for you. However, if you don''t mind a treated stone, that''s fine. Everyone has different tastes.

Treatments also strongly decrease value, and as a collector, I like my stones to have some value and I like them to be natural. I can understand someone that doesn''t collect gems like I do not really caring that much. However, for an e-ring, I would really try to get an untreated gem.

Hahaha, well I have no issue with plastic surgery either and would love to get some myself some day if I ever have the money (I have a list of 4 plastic surgeries I want to get, but I digress)! So I guess it''s just personal preference, same as preference for an eye-clean stone vs. "interesting" inclusions...I gotta have my clarity for that matter. I just feel like it''s so limiting to say "untreated only" since it really cuts off a lot of options and can lower prices a ton. Look at tanzanite for example...the untreated ones are generally an unattractive brown, but heating brings out the beautiful blue/purple color. I''d rather have a gorgeous heated tanzanite than an ugly unheated one (granted, not all unheated tanzies are ugly). And blue topaz is really pretty and affordable, as another example.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most paraiba tourmalines are heated too, and are extremely expensive in the neon turquoise colors from Brazil, even heated. However, the unheated ones in that same color supposedly do exist and are a King's ransom. A lot of people don't care if a stone is treated, and it helps keep the cost down, yes. For me, I don't mind inclusions, because that's another way to keep the cost down on a stone that is natural in color. To each his own I guess.
1.gif

There are some vivid tanzanites that are all natural in color too, no heating, and of course, they cost more as well.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Here''s my list, however, I''ve learned to never say never, LOL! I ALWAYS say "never," then go and do it. If I had unlimited funds and could purchase the best, I''d probably go for the first two on the list as collector stones, not jewelry. I can''t see myself ever purchasing the last four (the list is in no order, BTW).
1. Alexandrite
2. Paraiba Tourmaline
3. Dravite tourmaline
4. Black diamond
5. Kunzite
6. Blue Topaz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot another to add to my "not want" list.

Zircon - don''t like any of them, blue, yellow, white, brown, etc. . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:06:40 PM
I forgot another to add to my ''not want'' list.

But did you see the Red and Pink Zircons on Gene''s site? They''re pretty cool colors. http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/zircon.html

And what about these on Gemfix? I Love the green asscher:
30.gif
http://www.gemfix.com/zircon_yellow_green.html

I have a little 5mm zircon that is a lavender color (I''ve never seen that color elsewhere) and that little sucker really sparkles.

But Barry Bridgestock had this to say about Zircon, which was kind of shocking to me: "I''m not a big fan of zircon
because the dust in the air in the Yuma area really wears on the facet junctions on zircons. We quit offering them down
at the store years ago because of it. I was recutting them every two years! " Wow!
33.gif
That sounds kind of awful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2010 8:34:52 AM
Author: iLander
Date: 5/25/2010 1:06:40 PM

I forgot another to add to my ''not want'' list.

But did you see the Red and Pink Zircons on Gene''s site? They''re pretty cool colors. http://www.precisiongem.com/html/html/zircon.html

And what about these on Gemfix? I Love the green asscher:
30.gif
http://www.gemfix.com/zircon_yellow_green.html

I have a little 5mm zircon that is a lavender color (I''ve never seen that color elsewhere) and that little sucker really sparkles.

But Barry Bridgestock had this to say about Zircon, which was kind of shocking to me: ''I''m not a big fan of zircon

because the dust in the air in the Yuma area really wears on the facet junctions on zircons. We quit offering them down

at the store years ago because of it. I was recutting them every two years! '' Wow!
33.gif
That sounds kind of awful.

Nah, too soft, an the colors are never saturated enough for me. I also am not a fan of the double refraction which can make the stone kind of dead in the sparkle arena. I have never seen lavender zircon, but for a lavender stone, I rather have a spinel.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I think I own at least one stone from everyone''s ''not want'' list, lol!
6.gif
From TL''s list, I have several.
32.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2010 10:17:18 AM
Author: cellentani
I think I own at least one stone from everyone''s ''not want'' list, lol!
6.gif
From TL''s list, I have several.
32.gif
Don''t worry about it. Everyone likes what they like. You know, until this thread came about, I didn''t realize how many gems I don''t go for!! Everyone knows about my aqua dislike, but most people like them, so poo poo on me!

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
While I don''t rule anything out, there are just a few gemstones that really send me. The ones on my not-that-interested-in list are:

color change garnets- really surprising since I love garnets in general but an the color change seems to be a blah color to another blah color. Put one in front of me that goes from vivid red to a nice blue (I''ve seen them) and I might change my mind if the price was right.

Peridot- Just something about the color

white diamonds- Boooooooring. Now a coffee color is another matter
emteeth.gif

Sapphire and ruby- I''ve seen the really good ones and they''ve spoiled me

Tanzanite- Over-hyped, over-priced, a pain to cut but love the color. Maybe someday they''ll get real about price.

White stones in general- I like colored stones. the operative word is colored. If I want an accent stone, melee diamonds are relatively cheap and still work best.

Of course, except for the diamonds, I''m talking about rough stones but the list''s the same for finished ones.

Pete

MtnLiving

Rough_Rock
I won''t ever buy anything purple, nothing.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Purple is such romantic color:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purple is the color of royalty!!
9.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I will never buy a headstone

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2010 11:55:27 AM
Author: VapidLapid
LOL!

I believe I''ll co-sign that answer.
2.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/9/2010 12:17:35 PM
Author: Liane
Date: 6/9/2010 11:55:27 AM

LOL!

I believe I''ll co-sign that answer.
2.gif
haha:) that''s a good one!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
If there''s anything I''ve learned from CS, it''s that I should never say "never".

When this thread started, a mahenge spinel and a tanzanite would have been on my list, but I found two stunning examples from Tan have one of each on the way.
11.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I had said I'd "never" get a colorless diamond (Ering doesn't count, hubby bought it!)...
But I just bought a colorless 1ct oec...oops.

And I know many people here aren't fan of tanzanite, but I have to say I get more compliments on that than any of my other jewelery! People seem to love the play of color and the richness.

I still don't own aquamarine and don't ever plan to, so you aren't alone TL!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, on the first page of this thread I said I wouldn''t buy color change stones because I am not a fan -- now watch as I pull my foot out of my mouth -- just an hour or two I fell for one of Dana''s color-shift Burma spinels (bright pink to bright lavender pink) and ordered it. While of course I can return it if it doesn''t meet my expectations, I have been pleased with all my MasterCutGems.com purchases so already I am eating my words... Part of my attraction to this color-shift stone is the cool modified barion cushion cut, and plus I have confidence in the website that I''ll receive what is described. I still don''t think I''ll be picking up an alexandrite any time soon, but now I''m aware I am open to persuasion by the right stone and that nothing is really off the table for me when it comes to natural gemstones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2010 11:09:49 AM
Author: marymm
So, on the first page of this thread I said I wouldn''t buy color change stones because I am not a fan -- now watch as I pull my foot out of my mouth -- just an hour or two I fell for one of Dana''s color-shift Burma spinels (bright pink to bright lavender pink) and ordered it. While of course I can return it if it doesn''t meet my expectations, I have been pleased with all my MasterCutGems.com purchases so already I am eating my words... Part of my attraction to this color-shift stone is the cool modified barion cushion cut, and plus I have confidence in the website that I''ll receive what is described. I still don''t think I''ll be picking up an alexandrite any time soon, but now I''m aware I am open to persuasion by the right stone and that nothing is really off the table for me when it comes to natural gemstones.
Color shift is not the same as color change. I have a color shift spinel that I love. Most gems shift color somewhat in various light sources, color shifters just have a slightly more prominent change, and the change is really from one color to another color close on the spectrum.

Color changers, unless you have a lot of money, tend to shift from one meh color to another. That''s my experience with them. Only the very finest alexandrites change from one pleasing color to another. I won''t buy a CC garnet since they all seem really extinct. Maybe there are some good ones, but I am not impressed with anything I''ve seen in the market so far.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 1:31:41 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I still don''t own aquamarine and don''t ever plan to, so you aren''t alone TL!
I own too many!! It''s my birthstone. LOL!

Not planning on buying anymore in the future though.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey TL - thank you for your post re: the difference between color-change and color-shift stones; thus far I had just lumped them together and pretty much avoided taking a careful look at both groups of stones. I was checking out Dana''s website category by category this morning since he recently updated it, and that''s how I happened to see the color shift spinel -- and now, thanks to you, I understand why I could fall for the color-shift stone while still not responding to color change garnets for example. I love PS!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 12:07:21 PM
ametrine,

anything cooked, nuked, dyed, diffused, or synthesized from peanut butter

Vapid, that made me snort from laughing so hard.

I''m not a big fan of orange, and I think it''s pretty much the only color that I HATE against my skin, so spess garnets are out, along with pretty much anything else in the yellow-orange to red-orange range. I''m also not a big fan of yellow stones in general (diamond, sapphire, or chrysoberyl) because I''ve yet to find one that pleased my eye in terms of color. I am also not a big fan of rubies because of what everyone else has said, and most red garnets are too dark for my liking.

But if the stone is red a red spinel, or pretty much any stone in blue, green, purple, pink, or white, bring it on!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends. There are stones I won''t buy to set, but I may buy to display or in crystal form.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2010 11:45:57 AM
Author: marymm
Hey TL - thank you for your post re: the difference between color-change and color-shift stones; thus far I had just lumped them together and pretty much avoided taking a careful look at both groups of stones. I was checking out Dana''s website category by category this morning since he recently updated it, and that''s how I happened to see the color shift spinel -- and now, thanks to you, I understand why I could fall for the color-shift stone while still not responding to color change garnets for example. I love PS!
Just adding to TL''s explanation between the difference between colour shift / colour change:-

Colour shift - changes from one colour to the next colour on the colour wheel (so quite subtle)
Colour change - jumps from one side of the colour wheel to the other so much more dramatic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results