shape
carat
color
clarity

which cut/shape of blue sapphire for this ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
For the last few months I''ve been searching online for a blue sapphire to be set in a setting like this one (18K gold, unless I can save enough on the cost of the stone to make it platinum):
gorgon.jpg

My first preference had been a square-shaped stone, but it turned out to be pretty hard to find in the size I needed (5-7mm). The ones I did find just didn''t look as good as I imagined they should (seem "flat" to me somehow, at least on the monitor). Here''s one example:
blueprns861.jpg

Thanks to the helpful feedback I received from an earlier post on Pricescope, I found some nice rectangular-shaped stones to consider: (the stone on the right isn’t the color I would like, but I like the cut)
SAP-00607-l.jpg
sa388.jpg

Then, one day while browsing in an antique jewelry store, I saw a cushion cut blue sapphire sparkle like crazy under the "special lighting" (you know, the kind that makes you want to buy everything in the display cases? :)). Now I''m tempted by cushions too:
bluecno1611.jpg
1_bluecush_sap.jpg

The stones shown above all fall within my budget for the stone ($500), and all are 5x7mm or smaller which would fit the setting. I''m torn between the rectangular and the cushion, and I need your help to decide. Are there benefits/drawbacks that I should consider when I compare the two shapes? Would good quality stones be more readily available in one shape versus the other?

Thanks in advance...

leggs

Shiny_Rock
Before I even scrolled to the stone pictures I said to myself "cushion" would be perfect.
That ring will be very beautiful, will it be an engagement ring?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like cushions in sapphire better than emerald cuts.
To be honest id likely go with an oval or round myself.

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Cushion. It will sparkle like carzy and be so beautiful
30.gif

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Looks like the votes are in favor of cushion so far...

Leggs, this won't be an engagement ring, just a treat for myself. My dream engagement ring would also be a blue sapphire ring, but definitely with some diamonds on it too. ;-) For me, the prospect of getting engaged is still a ways away -- I need to find a special someone first! I figure, I've been working for a while and can finally afford nice jewelry, so why wait? (I must say, one downside of being single is having to admire the sparkly diamond rings on Pricescope, and not being able to buy/wear one no matter how tempted I am to get one of my own. He he! I know there are right-hand rings, but they're definitely not my style... )

Strmrdr, I did consider ovals because there are plenty of great candidates to choose from (one of which you posted -- pretty sapphire!). But after looking at many stones online, the angular shapes just speak to me a little more than the rounds/ovals. Plus I have in mind another custom ring design that I would like to create sometime next year, and I decided to use an oval ruby for it -- so I guess I'm going for a little contrast.

I appreciate all of your suggestions! I'm finding out that all the discussing/dreaming/researching while building the ring is actually half the fun!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2004 4:34:53 AM
Author: singingbell

I appreciate all of your suggestions! I''m finding out that all the discussing/dreaming/researching while building the ring is actually half the fun!
Actualy it can be 90% of the fun and I actualy feel a let down once the project is completed which leads to another project!
Maybe its because I dont actualy wear my creations because I dont wear jewlery.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Cushion''s my vote.

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
More cushion votes! Yay! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
35.gif

Date: 12/6/2004 9
6.gif
7:39 AM
Author: strmrdr
Actualy it can be 90% of the fun and I actualy feel a let down once the project is completed which leads to another project!

Maybe its because I dont actualy wear my creations because I dont wear jewlery.
I''m afraid that I''ll feel a bit let down too when I actually get my hands on this ring, because I''ll miss the fun of putting it together (although I''m sure seeing the ring on my finger will help comfort me a little
2.gif
). I suspect I''ll want to start right away on my next piece of jewelry design when this one is completed. Perhaps featuring this little beauty I just saw? Love the color!
5831.jpg

Must... focus... on... one... ring...
19.gif

Date: 12/6/2004 9:56:52 AM
Author: Sasori
Cushion! like my preciouseee..
I remember reading about your sapphire when you first purchased it, and when I saw it again here it made me say "wow" all over again!
30.gif
Do you have any plans for the stone?

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Hiyee Singingbell,

Seems like we have similar taste!

I''ve just bought a new golden-yellow sapphire! But its oval instead of cushion. Playing with this stone first, intent to set it with melee diamonds surrounding, those with slight yellowish tinge maybe J/K color.

That cushion cut sapphire I''m still searching for a suitable ring setting to modify and play with. Forgot to check with Scott and samples. He says he had some designs on hand.

goldie.jpg

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/6/2004 9:11:56 PM
Author: Sasori
Hiyee Singingbell,

Seems like we have similar taste!

I''ve just bought a new golden-yellow sapphire! But its oval instead of cushion. Playing with this stone first, intent to set it with melee diamonds surrounding, those with slight yellowish tinge maybe J/K color.

That cushion cut sapphire I''m still searching for a suitable ring setting to modify and play with. Forgot to check with Scott and samples. He says he had some designs on hand.

Sasori -- you know what they say about great minds... =D I would love to have different color sapphires to play with...

Your ring idea sounds awesome!! Please post pictures when you have the ring.

By the way, who''s Scott? Is he one of the jewelers here? I apologize if it''s supposed to be obvious, but my mind is not working too well today...
24.gif

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
Another quick question for the helpful folks of PS:

Can I get a stone larger than 5x7 for this setting? What would be a good range for a cushion? Would a 6.5x6.1 mm cushion like this sapphire fit?

Edited to add: the Gordon Clark setting that I'm talking about normally has a 5x7 oval or rectangle stone set in it -- I don't think I mentioned that before.

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Hi Singingbells,
Scott''s id is yowahking, he''s a regular at this forum.
I dont actually know him haha.. but he''s kind enough to offer some settings sample back then :)

I''m still waiting for my yellow stone to arrive, will keep you updated. :) You must update me on your stone too eh!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results