shape
carat
color
clarity

Which CAD would you prefer?

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Hi CS-lovers! :wavey:

This is my first post over here. My husband and I are working on a Christmas halo ring project with DanielM. He's sent me a few CADs that I'd love your opinion on.

Plain Shank with no Profile Bars

Plain Shank with Profile Bars

Diamond Shank with no Profile Bars

Diamond Shank with Profile Bars

Some details - the center stone is a 2.5ct (7.9mm) cushion-cut Aquamarine that Caren sourced for me. The halo will have 20 stones at .015ct each. The peek-a-boo diamonds are 0.20ct each. If I choose to go with the version with the diamonds on the shank, there will be 8 stones on each side at 0.15ct each as well, which would run just passed the halfway point of the ring. My concern with having the extra diamonds on the shank is just that they would definitely go in between my fingers, since the halo is already going to be approximately 10.4mm (7.9mm + 2.5mm), which would be pretty big already.

I also have the original CAD that just had a plain shank with the cushion-shaped outer halo instead of the cut-corners outer halo. I asked Dan to redraw it with the cut-corners because I think it makes for a more unique look.

What do you lovely people think? Any and all comments or additional suggestions are appreciated!

no-diamond-shank-no-bars-under.jpg

no-diamond-shank-bars-under.jpg

Diamond-shank-no-bars-under.jpg

Diamond-shank-bars-under.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Wow this is going to be gorgeous! I like the second pic. I like the curved pieces on the gallery to break up the more angular bits of the ring. I like it without the diamonds on the shank too for some reason. Can't wait to see the completed project.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I like the first one.

Without the bracing underneath, I think the little underneath diamond is more of a "surprise". . .

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I don't think you can make a mistake on this one, all of the renderings are wonderful. I can't wait to see what you decide on!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like profile bar w/plain shank but prefer the profile bar with diamonds in the shank best. The former is a simpler version while the latter is very Tiffany Legacy-like. What is your finger size? I guess it depends on your level of comfort in wearing that size and bling. I just feel that having diamonds in the shank adds to the flow of the diamonds in the halo.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Treenbean! I think the second one is also my favorite right now. I can't wait to see the finished product either, once I finally decide which version I want.

Thanks iLander! The only reason I'm worried about the first one is that I feel like the aqua would be exposed to my clumsiness and I'd end up doing something to chip the culet. Since it's going to be such a big ring, I can pretty much guarantee that I'll hit it on something at one point or another. :nono:

Thanks Aoife! Yes, that's exactly why I'm having such a tough time deciding - they all look beautiful! I've seen so many lovely halos here at PS that I just had to have one of my own!

Thanks Chrono! The ring is going to be a size 6.5, and it will no doubt be the biggest ring I've ever had. I think that's another reason why I think I prefer the simplicity of a plain shank - I don't want it to look too flashy. I actually tried on the Legacy with a 1.67ct Aqua and thought the size was okay (but they couldn't tell me the mm size), which is why I had Dan and Caren source a slightly bigger one. I didn't like the milgrain on the Legacy though because it made it a bit too busy for my taste, and the shank was definitely scratchy in between my fingers.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
From a purely structural standpoint those profile bars will strengthen the halo dramatically and lead to a much more durable ring. Even though the halo is fairly wide and certainly thick enough for normal wear, that odd "once in tens years" hard knock or even a drop and step on it accident would have much less of an effect on this ring if it incorporates the profile bars. Not that designs should be made based on the potential for accidents, but you should consider how rough you are on things, how long you intend to keep this and how much durability plays in your decision making, as well as the aesthetics of the design. I do like the cut corner on the halo, very nice!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the last one.
definitely would want the shank bars not only for strength but looks.
diamonds on the shank are a bonus but not necessary if budget is tight.

i am not fond....an understatement....of halos. however, i like the design of this one. it is unique and still lets the color stone be the star of the show. i like the bezeling of the halo. a sleek and modern design that should be timeless.

MoZo

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Michael_E! That is exactly why I asked Dan to add the profile bars. I'm not particularly rough on my rings, but I must admit that I am accident-prone. It makes me nervous to see the stone so exposed in his original CAD. I'm glad you like the cut corners on the halo - I thought it would make it look a bit more unique. ;))

Thanks movie zombie! I also wasn't a fan of halos until I started seeing all the beautiful ones here at PS. I agree with you that the bezel makes it look smooth and sleek. I believe adding the diamonds on the shank is about $100 higher, which isn't too much in the grand scheme of things. I'll need to get a new quote from them anyway though, because I'm thinking of changing it from 14k white gold to platinum. So it's not really a question of budget whether or not to go with the diamonds on the shank - it's more of an aesthetic question, as well as if I think they'll bother me in between my fingers.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Personally I like the Diamond Shank with no Profile Bars- however as someone already stated- I don't think you can go wrong with this setting! it is gorgeous!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the look of this setting...my personal preference is for no diamonds on the shank, but I'm not fond of diamonds between my fingers, so that's just me. I like to see the culet floating as well. However, if I were going to wear the ring on a daily or very regular basis the extra strength is certainly something to consider. I like all the designs, actually!

Laura

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond shank with the profile bars, for sure.

I think the profile bars add a little something to the profile view and make the ring look finished.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like the ones with profile bars, diamonds or no diamonds.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Sarahbear621! The only reason that I don't think I should get the version with the exposed stone is because I am more often than not, too clumsy with my hands. I would really regret if I chipped the stone because I accidentally slammed my hand into a wall while walking (which has happened more than once before). :nono:

Thanks Largosmom! Caren just told me last night that the top part of the ring would be about 13.3mm! :-o Now I'm pretty sure that I don't need the extra diamonds on the shank - the halo will be plenty big all by itself. It's certainly not going to be an everyday RHR, but I tend to wear my new pieces every day for at least the first few months.

Thanks Laila619! I was thinking the same thing - that there was something "missing" in the original open profile design! The surprise diamonds also seem to complete the profile bars somehow. I've been going back and forth between diamonds or no diamonds on the shank, but I knew for sure that I wanted the profile bars as soon as I saw the CADs.

Thanks Lovinggems! I like the last one as well - I'm just a bit worried that it might be too much bling. Haha - is that even possible? :naughty:

Thanks jstarfireb! Yup, I'm definitely going with the profile bars, especially with everyone's thoughts on durability and support. I originally asked for the profile bars to be added mostly for looks, and partly to protect the culet from my accident-prone self. But I didn't want it to be too covered, since I also like to keep my rings super clean - I needed a simple profile that wouldn't be too difficult to clean.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first two CADs the best but would pick second CAD with the profile bars because of the added durability that Michael mentioned. I can't wait to see the finished ring! I really love the design. :))

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I can't wait either, I think it will be an awesome ring. I don't recall seeing one with that sort of bezel and halo before. Since the CADs I've seen are always a bit chunkier than the real life result, I think it will be even more elegant in real life.

Laura

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Largosmom|1289008431|2756470 said:
I can't wait either, I think it will be an awesome ring. I don't recall seeing one with that sort of bezel and halo before. Since the CADs I've seen are always a bit chunkier than the real life result, I think it will be even more elegant in real life.

Laura

I know, I've never seen that kind of bezel before either. I think it's a modern, unique version of the legacy.

Sandy, I think your ring is going to end up being one of my PS favorites. :))

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again Laura! I think I've finally decided to go with CAD #2 (the plain shank with the profile bars). I'll definitely post pics once it's done.

Thanks Burberrygirl! Wow, it would be an honor if my ring turns out to be one of your favorites! The Legacy was the original inspiration for this ring, but I wanted one without the milgrain. The bezel and halo shape was my suggestion to make it look more sleek and smooth.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
The twist you have put on that halo design is amazing. I can't wait to see real life pics of that ring. Do you know when it will be finished?
How has it been working with Daniel and Caren?
Starting to lust after a halo with cut corners.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks natascha!

I'm still going back and forth with Caren right now, trying to make sure that the finished width of the halo won't look too big for my finger. I think once I give her the green light, she said it'll take 2-3 weeks to complete the actual ring.

It's been awesome working with both of them. I would totally recommend them! I spend most of the time emailing with Caren, but Dan also jumps in every once in a while. I've placed many orders with them, starting with their famous Rainbow bezel necklaces - I had ordered those for my bridesmaids. Then I ordered some custom pieces for my mom and MIL too. Then I ordered a custom piece for myself (my husband's wedding gift to me). Here's the link to my original posting:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-happy-danielm-customer.148265/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-happy-danielm-customer.148265/[/URL]

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Love all those colours in their bezels. I have ordered an amathyst bezel but with milgrain, do you possible have neckshots of your sisters?
I am currently in talks with Caren about doing a halo reset for my engagement ring. The problem is insurance while the stone is with them, Swedish insurance won't cover it so I am trying to find a solution. Seeing your CADs just makes me want it even more. It's the small details that make me drool, like how the edge of your halo is not a straint angle and the way the bezel sits just above the halo. Were these detailes your idea? It is going to be a stunning ring.

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
I like the last one also, but I wonder how often the stone under the halo were the profile bars meet will be seen.

agatha.nl

Shiny_Rock
dunno about those bars: with or without look the same to me :oops: about the diamond on the ring: what exactly will you be seeing of them with such a large stone and setting?

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again natascha! I've asked my sister to take a neckshot when she gets back from her errands, so I'll post it when I get it. I definitely can't take all the credit for the details. I basically started by telling them that I wanted something similar to the Tiffany Legacy ring, but without milgrain, and with cut corners. The first CAD I got back from Dan had a simple open profile, so I asked him to draw up a version with the profile bars and surprise diamond. It's a bit of an evolving process, but it's fun! If you can find a solution for getting your e-ring reset, I would totally go for it!

Thanks hay joe! I think the surprise diamonds under the halo are mostly for my own view, since I get to see the profile view a lot. It's definitely not for people who only look at the ring from the top. I also like that it seems to add a finishing touch to where the profile bars meet.

Thanks agath.nl! The profile bars were initially added to give myself a better sense of protection for the stone's culet - but as many here have pointed out, they also provide more structural support for the ring as well.

agatha.nl

Shiny_Rock
oh, well makes sense. so what shank are you leaning towards?

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
agatha.nl|1289736376|2765434 said:
oh, well makes sense. so what shank are you leaning towards?

I'm getting the plain shank with the profile bars. Since the halo is going to be rather big, I decided that I didn't need the extra diamonds on the shank. I also changed the size of the diamonds in the halo to 0.012ct (1.2mm) so make the total width of the halo a little smaller, and changed the surprise diamonds to 0.018ct (1.8mm) for proper proportions, and I decided to go for platinum instead of 14k white gold.

Here's the final CAD that Caren just sent me - it should be done in 2-3 weeks!

final_cad.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CAD looks great!! How exciting!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again Laila619!

Natascha, my sister finally sent me a neckshot that she took from her phone. This is the 6mm amethyst on the 16" chain.

neckshot_amethyst_dm.JPG

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to give an update - Caren sent me some pics of the metal cast. I'm glad that we made the change to the smaller halo diamonds.

Dan should be setting the stones this week/weekend, so I should have more pics by next week. I can't wait to see it all set and polished!

metal_cast1.JPG

metal_cast2.JPG

metal_cast3.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results