shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to purchase Russian Demantoid?

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
I've been searching the internet for a Russian Demantoid, with horsetail. I did find a pair only, but I'm only looking for a single (for ring). I've checked wildfishgems but without success.

Anyone know where to get a Russian Demantoid for a decent price? Somewhere around $5000? Please see pictures to understand which type of color I'm looking for. I live in India, but I can order online, so I dont care too much about sellers origin. Thanks!

demantoid_diamond_cluster_r.jpg

demantoid_jewelry_1.jpg

garnet-demantoid-2.jpg

dms122900001.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to contact them to ask. They can find what you want as not everything is listed. As to the horsetail, you do not want it to be too visible as that is not a good thing; it interferes with the dispersion that demantoids are well known for. It is best that the horsetail be only visible when louped.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps a place like Pala gems would have this, but you have to go through someone in the trade (e.g., jeweler) to buy from them.

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1359726945|3369496 said:
You have to contact them to ask. They can find what you want as not everything is listed. As to the horsetail, you do not want it to be too visible as that is not a good thing; it interferes with the dispersion that demantoids are well known for. It is best that the horsetail be only visible when louped.

Thanks, I will contact them and ask them for a custom order :)

pregcurious|1359726995|3369497 said:
Perhaps a place like Pala gems would have this, but you have to go through someone in the trade (e.g., jeweler) to buy from them.

Thank you, I will look into it!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I did a quick look at Pala for you, and they have 13 pages of demantoids. You can go to their website and see pictures for some of the stones (go to the latter pages to see pics). I pasted one below.

8181.jpg

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
pregcurious|1359728230|3369505 said:
I did a quick look at Pala for you, and they have 13 pages of demantoids. You can go to their website and see pictures for some of the stones (go to the latter pages to see pics). I pasted one below.

Thank you once again! I just sent PalaGems an email, requesting price for 3 of their Demantoids. So I'll wait and see for their answer :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hi again. They will only give prices to someone in the trade. I've made this mistake before, so I just wanted to let you know. If you're willing to share, I am curious as to the prices for these.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto about pricing from Pala; they will not give you pricing directly unless you are in the trade. You can have your jeweller or a vendor you like working with request pricing on your behalf.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you aware that horsetails are now seen in Demantoids from other locations and not Russia? Just thought I'd mention it because seeing a horsetail is not a definitive pointer of location.

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
LD|1359735992|3369615 said:
Are you aware that horsetails are now seen in Demantoids from other locations and not Russia? Just thought I'd mention it because seeing a horsetail is not a definitive pointer of location.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that as I did read some new information about couple months ago. It doesn't have to be from Russia, but atleast I want the "Russian" color as pictured as well as horsetail. I dont personally like the Demantoids from Namibia. But I know there's some very beautiful Demantoids that are being mined in Pakistan (very close to Russian).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the carat weight you are looking for? Several of us have seen demantoids being sold at various Intergem shows by a vendor called B and B Fine Gems. They are extremely highly priced for what they sell, IMO, but they also have access to Russian demantoids from a private collection (and I have no reason to doubt them as they sell very fine quality stones from others on commission). I believe they are out of southern california, as I see them attending west coast shows. You could contact them. I think I once showed pics, with prices here of stones they were selling in a thread I started on demantoids. Michael at Litnon is great and has good stock, but may not be able to get his hands quickly on a large, high quality Russian with horsetail. I'm sure you'll insist on a lab report wherever you purchase.

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1359755110|3369961 said:
What is the carat weight you are looking for? Several of us have seen demantoids being sold at various Intergem shows by a vendor called B and B Fine Gems. They are extremely highly priced for what they sell, IMO, but they also have access to Russian demantoids from a private collection (and I have no reason to doubt them as they sell very fine quality stones from others on commission). I believe they are out of southern california, as I see them attending west coast shows. You could contact them. I think I once showed pics, with prices here of stones they were selling in a thread I started on demantoids. Michael at Litnon is great and has good stock, but may not be able to get his hands quickly on a large, high quality Russian with horsetail. I'm sure you'll insist on a lab report wherever you purchase.

Hard to say.. but for $5000, maybe 1-2 carat? I'm not sure how much they would charge for a high-quality Demantoid, and I would also suspect it depends on each and every business (seller) what they would charge. I think $5000 would be a good budget, but at the same time it's possible I will go higher if there's a Demantoid I really love. I will search the internet a little more and also contact some vendors I've purchased from before, so it's easier to compare prices and so on.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest, then, that you do a search on this forum for "demantoid" as prices were discussed for both Pala and B and B stones. Others also chimed in with their experiences as well, though the longer ago it was, the lower the prices. Also, as I'm sure you know, there is significant price increase every time you go over another carat threshhold.

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1359758236|3370028 said:
I would suggest, then, that you do a search on this forum for "demantoid" as prices were discussed for both Pala and B and B stones. Others also chimed in with their experiences as well, though the longer ago it was, the lower the prices. Also, as I'm sure you know, there is significant price increase every time you go over another carat threshhold.

B & B Fine Gems has their website shut down for an update, but yes, I will search PriceScope and take a look as well. Thanks! :)

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
Did find a Russian Demantoid today with Horsetail. 0.81 carats. From a Thai vendor, never had any problems with them, and items as described. $535. Decent price for size?

demantoid_i.jpg

demantoid_ii.jpg

demantoid_iiii.jpg

demantoid_iii.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wildfish gems

R W Wise

cheers--Sharon

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that would definitely be a good price if it was a high quality stone, and frankly, I can't really tell. It has a lot of extinction in the center of the stone, which would bother me. What did the vendor say about the clarity?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one from Litnon - slightly smaller, and more expensive but also precision cut and it shows: http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=view&cat=274

Have you contacted Michael at Litnon to see what else he has? While he does not seem to get big Russian demantoids, he does get good quality ones and he is upstanding and easy to work with.

One more question about that Thai vendor - do you know whether his photos are accurate and the color representative?

2-02-13_demantoid_preview.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coloration isn't a rich chrome green and the center is extremely dark, which might account for the lower price. I do not expect this demantoid to have much sparkle, much less show the famed dispersion they are well known for.

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1359842790|3370725 said:
Here is one from Litnon - slightly smaller, and more expensive but also precision cut and it shows: http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=view&cat=274

Have you contacted Michael at Litnon to see what else he has? While he does not seem to get big Russian demantoids, he does get good quality ones and he is upstanding and easy to work with.

One more question about that Thai vendor - do you know whether his photos are accurate and the color representative?

I personally dont like that color, it reminds me too much of a Tsavorite with yellowish undertones. No, I haven't contacted him yet, I'm still waiting for an answer from PalaGems though. :)

Yes, the color of the stone are as pictured (pictures not enhanced). I dont think anyone can get those "perfect" pictures, so I suppose it might be a bit lighter, or a bit darker in reality.

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1359867275|3370935 said:
Coloration isn't a rich chrome green and the center is extremely dark, which might account for the lower price. I do not expect this demantoid to have much sparkle, much less show the famed dispersion they are well known for.

I think you are correct. I dont think the color of this Demantoid is "Electric". The price are what did catch my eyes. But I will see what Jlitnon, PalaGems, and WildFishGems can come up with + price. I usually, or maybe always, choose gemstones that are located above 2+ carats, as I want people to notice my jewelry and gemstones.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well for what you're looking for, I can tell you that with your current budget, you will not be able to come any where close to 2 carats in size. I would suspect that you will be in the sub carat to one carat range (if you're lucky) for that price.

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1359916716|3371234 said:
Well for what you're looking for, I can tell you that with your current budget, you will not be able to come any where close to 2 carats in size. I would suspect that you will be in the sub carat to one carat range (if you're lucky) for that price.

Yes, I know. So I might increase my budget if I do find the right stone ;-)

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
This one is AMAZING! But it's a 2.57 carat Namibian @ $7,500. :rodent:
Eye-clean, exclusive cut, quite huge, and a very vibrant nice color with slightly yellowish undertones.
Cheap? Expensive? I really dont know Namibian prices at all.

It has no Horsetails, and I know I said I wanted a Russian one, but the color of this one make me wanna drewl! :lickout:

771-23a.jpg

771-23b.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very tempting and the dispersion shows through. Namibian demantoids shift a lot indoors though so my caution is they become very yellowish olive indoors. You'll have to ask the vendor or somehow verify if it shifts as such. Also, not knowing the vendor, I do not know how accurately the gem is pictured.

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1359944069|3371534 said:
Very tempting and the dispersion shows through. Namibian demantoids shift a lot indoors though so my caution is they become very yellowish olive indoors. You'll have to ask the vendor or somehow verify if it shifts as such. Also, not knowing the vendor, I do not know how accurately the gem is pictured.

Here's a VIDEO from the vendor:
Works only on Apple (MAC), with Windows - QuickTime Player must be installed:
http://wildsglobalminerals.com/Video/D2.57a.mp4

The vendor claims that the VIDEO shows a "dull" color, but that the pictures are showing correct color?
What do you think? I wont pay $7,500 if it looks like it does in the VIDEO.
I've never purchased anything from them earlier...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm confused. While it goes to a video link, it appears to be nothing but a still shot of the stone - is that what it is? I've heard good things about that vendor but even so, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around $7,500 for a Namibian Demantoid. There is another thread around here somewhere, started by a poster named OTL in which she compares two Namibian demantoids. If I remember, they quite attractive colorwise, but the price was well below the price you've just been quoted. So if I were you, I'd check out Jeff Davies. You should be able to find him listed as one of the reputable vendors on the pinned thread, above.

Anarkali

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1359973621|3371758 said:
I'm confused. While it goes to a video link, it appears to be nothing but a still shot of the stone - is that what it is? I've heard good things about that vendor but even so, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around $7,500 for a Namibian Demantoid. There is another thread around here somewhere, started by a poster named OTL in which she compares two Namibian demantoids. If I remember, they quite attractive colorwise, but the price was well below the price you've just been quoted. So if I were you, I'd check out Jeff Davies. You should be able to find him listed as one of the reputable vendors on the pinned thread, above.

Okay :)
No, atleast at my computer it's possible to click "Play" (tiny icon to the left), and the VIDEO starts. Yes, it might be too expensive, seller also admitting they are more expensive than the average because they got better cut and so on, I dont know. For $7,500 it might even be better to purchase a cheaper stone and get it re-cut to Ideal Diamond Proportions instead, by Jerry or someone else.

I will take a closer look at the vendor you just gave me the name of, thanks! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results