shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy matching blue round sapphires for stud earrings

AKP

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm trying to buy very high quality blue sapphires for stud earrings.

I'm currently looking for a matching pair:
Ceylon
5.5-6.0mm (approx 1.5-2.0 total cts)
Royal Blue
Excellent cut
Untreated (but open to heated)

I'm looking for a stunning pair that's investment grade.

Any recommendations on where I can buy this and/or any suggestions to changes in my criteria?

I'm hoping to buy a great matching pair to make into study earrings with diamond halo around them for my wife.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Where to buy matching blue round sapphires for stud earr

HI:

To clarify, you want loose gems to make your own earrings? Not Estate (which might include branded pieces)?

cheers--Sharon

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

What's your budget?

AKP

Rough_Rock

I'm looking for loose stones. I haven't seen any estate jewelry that matches what I'm looking for.

My budget is approximately $3500

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

How about these? They are heated but 6mm and look nice:

A pair that's lighter and cheaper:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

There is another pair, 3cts, that's nice, but $9k. Also, of course, a bit larger than what you were looking for, at 7.1mm.

I think 1224 would be a good fit for what I think you're looking for.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AKP|1421794742|3819504 said:
I'm looking for a stunning pair that's investment grade.

What do you mean by "investment grade"? Do you mean fine quality or are you looking for something that you hope to be able to resell for a large profit down the road?

AKP

Rough_Rock

Thanks FrekeChild. 1224 look great. Do you know what "Roulette" Cut" means?

Also, What are your thoughts on 1105? What would be a better purchase?

Chrono - By investment grade I mean something that will appreciate over time due to the rarity. I do not intend to retail them for a profit down the line, but would like to purchase something that could.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Roulette is just a busier type of cut, so you'll get more sparkle but each sparkle or flash will be smaller. Okay, I understand the level of quality you are looking for now. No guarantees on ANY gemstone increasing its value over time due to rarity though.

AKP

Rough_Rock

Thanks Chrono.

Given what I'm looking for, do you have any suggestions?

Also do you folks have any thoughts on 1105? http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

I'm trying to understand why such a big price difference between 1105 and 1224. I actually like the color of 1105 better but 1224 is about $1,000 more.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

The 1224 pair is very nice, did you get them? They show as sold now so hopefully you did!

The pros will give you more info on the difference between 1105 and 1224, but IMHO 1224 has better color. 1224 also has a better face-up size but don't know if that would warrant the price difference or not.

Good luck in your search!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

AKP|1421873370|3820034 said:
Thanks Chrono.

Given what I'm looking for, do you have any suggestions?

Also do you folks have any thoughts on 1105? http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

I'm trying to understand why such a big price difference between 1105 and 1224. I actually like the color of 1105 better but 1224 is about $1,000 more.
Sapphire Round Matched Pair Modified "Roulette" Cut
Weight: 1.59cts total
Measurements: 6mm, depth 3.2mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 2950.00 Sale Pending
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_1224
Description: Fantastic medium blue matched pair of sapphire rounds. Well cut and eye clean, juicy, saturated color. (Cut by Andrew Gulij)
Closest Pantone Color Card: Blue 072C overall

Sapphire Round Mixed Cut Pair
Weight: 1.66 cts total
Measurements: 5.5mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 1990.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_1105
Description: Awesome matched pair, color is a saturated royal blue, gorgeous! Well cut and excellent clarity. Closest Pantone Color Card: Blue 072C
For comparison purposes:

1. They are described with the same Pantone color, so they are probably very close in color.
2. Andrew actually cut 1224. 1105 were not cut by Andrew. So 1224 will be cut better (which you can see in the pictures) and sparkle more.
3. 1224 faces up at 6mm. 1105 faces up at 5.5mm. So while 1105 weighs slightly more, you don't SEE the weight. So they will look smaller visually, even though they weigh slightly more.

So, face up size and cut are what are dictating the price here. Everything else is relatively the same. Very well cut sapphires look nicer, IMHO, so I'd stick with those, especially since they are coming in under budget.

Do you already have settings picked out?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Because these are from the same vendor, the photographic conditions are probably extremely close, so comparison between the two pairs will be fairly accurate. I placed the pictures side by side to make it easier to see the difference.

The colours are very similar with 1105 just a little darker than 1224. However, 1224 has better cutting so it will be more brilliant or flashier. 1224 is cut well enough that it is also not hiding additional weight to it faces up 0.5 mm larger than 1105. Most people can see the size difference of 0.5 mm even when the two stones are not next to each other. Given that these will be for earrings, I'd go with the lighter coloured 1224 because the ear area does not get a lot of light.

gf_0.jpg

AKP

Rough_Rock

Thanks all for the very helpful advice. Bad news, it looks like the 1224 pair now says sale pending on the website so I'm assuming they are sold. I'm going to call gemfix shortly and find out what that actually means, but if they are sold then it looks like I'll now have to wait to find a quality pair like this that I'm looking for :(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just keep looking and ask Andrew if he has other similar stones. With PS having a large following, which includes lurkers, sometimes recommended stones get snapped up quicker than they normally would.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

Oh no! I was hoping you got them. Gemfix posts "sale pending" on their stones when they are purchased, but leaves it as "pending" during the 7 day inspection period just in case the buyer decides to return the gemstones.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is too bad. Since their inventory is much bigger than their website would indicate, contacting them directly to ask to see pairs is probably your best bet.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

I wonder if you might contact Roger Dery (Spectral Gems). Worth an email.

cheers--Sharon

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

That is irritating that someone bought them from under you.

AKP

Rough_Rock

Yes really bummed that they got swooped up before I could purchase. But I appreciate all the help from the people on this forum. Thanks so much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results