shape
carat
color
clarity

When a colored stone isn't *exactly* what you want

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm facing kind of a first world jewelry problem and I need a PS perspective please. My rose cut diamond and colored "lotus" spinel/sapphire ring project is coming to an end. All the stones have been purchased, the deposits are paid, the only thing left to do is ship them to the bench. However at the 11th hour I am second guessing a petal on the lotus flower.

The lotus is made up of 3 pear cut stones. Two spinels, one sapphire. The two spinels are perfect color-wise, exactly what I want. Just a gorgeous padparadscha type color of pink and orange without the crazy padparadscha premium. The sapphire I purchased is a very pretty orchid pink color. Every time I think about it I'm like "Meh..." but then when I take it out of the case and play with it I love it again. It puts on a light show. It is precision cut and so pretty, but I think the lack of orange secondary color is causing the less than thrilled feeling.

I don't want to hunt for a pink/orange unheated sapphire or spinel of the exact cut and size that would be required for this ring. I already have a beautiful sapphire. If I choose to pursue a "better" color, it will put this project behind even further because I will have to save for another stone. If it makes a difference the ring is being made in 18k yellow gold. My hope is that the tone of the gold will warm up the pink sapphire a bit?

TLDR: Delay a project to chase a unicorn, or compromise and finish the ring which you will most likely end up loving anyway?

estelle

Rough_Rock
Don't settle. If you have reservations, you should consider them. This project should wait until you are certain about all of the stones. Waiting is hard, but you'll have the ring forever. Sounds like an amazing idea by the way.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
estelle|1394899369|3634662 said:
Don't settle. If you have reservations, you should consider them. This project should wait until you are certain about all of the stones. Waiting is hard, but you'll have the ring forever. Sounds like an amazing idea by the way.

Thank you! This is my first instinct too, then I get frustrated and tell the man friend "Forget it, I'm getting a solitaire" to which he says "Stop changing your mind you nut!" (lovingly of course :lol: )

Ugggghhhhh.

Amour_Et_Diamants

Shiny_Rock

I second this! You have obviously put a lot of time and thought into this, and if you decide to just move forward without working through your doubts, you'll be right back here working through them with greater frustration in a year.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amour_Et_Diamants|1394901013|3634671 said:

I second this! You have obviously put a lot of time and thought into this, and if you decide to just move forward without working through your doubts, you'll be right back here working through them with greater frustration in a year.

I second this as well - much better to know that you'll be happy than to hope that you'll be happy - sometimes it's worth rolling the dice, but you're questioning an aspect of the stone that you can't really change. I would rather find exactly the right stone than hope to make it work with the setting's metal color.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
That is a difficult question and I don't have the answer :sick:

I'd probably go with the current sapphire admittedly.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Oh that is a tough question. This is just me, but I'd probably take all the stones out and play with them together as a set, like they will be in the finished ring. If you love them all when they're together, love the way they look and sparkle etc., then I'd say go ahead with the project (and hunt for that perfect solitaire sapphire as a great RHR). But, if you look at them all together and think "I really, really wish that sapphire was just a smidge different" then I'd keep looking. Good luck, it sounds like it will be a lovely, lovely ring (whatever you decide)!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have some pictures of the stones?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1394898812|3634657 said:
I don't want to hunt for a pink/orange unheated sapphire or spinel of the exact cut and size that would be required for this ring. I already have a beautiful sapphire. If I choose to pursue a "better" color, it will put this project behind even further because I will have to save for another stone. If it makes a difference the ring is being made in 18k yellow gold. My hope is that the tone of the gold will warm up the pink sapphire a bit?

TLDR: Delay a project to chase a unicorn, or compromise and finish the ring which you will most likely end up loving anyway?

That's the problem I would have, and yes, it could take eons to find the perfect stone. In the meantime, you could make the ring, and perhaps replace it in that setting, if you're lucky enough to find an exact size match with the color you want (or have it cut to those specifications).

I would also like to see a picture of the stones as well.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies all! I am currently in a hotel until Tuesday with only bad blurry pictures on the ipad. When I return home I will take pics of all three stones together with the good camera and you can lend me your gem eyes.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, here is a semi decent one. It gives an idea of what the stones look like together even though IRL the orange-red looking spinel is much more of a mild orange pink.

_15936.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But do you see what I mean? I want that pink sapphire to have orange in it, and instead it is just a pure baby pink. Which is lovely in it's own way but sticks out like a sore thumb in a trio.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know... at least with that pic, I think the 3 pears go *beautifully* with the rose-cut -- the color spectrum really seem to work well with the ivory tone of the diamond, without overwhelming the diamond even though likely the pears have greater total carat weight and face-up size as compared to the rose-cut.

But if the sapphire color bothers you even now, I doubt your dissatisfaction will go away after the ring is made... best to take the time to be sure before production starts on the ring.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm another to say that if it bothers you now, it will always bother you. I've had my fair share of experience with this. "end up loving" is a risk. You need to be prepared to take it. Now, here's a question...If you put the ring together with the stones you have, and end up finding The Perfect petal stone later, could you swap it out?

estelle

Rough_Rock
NKOTB|1395026203|3635613 said:
I'm another to say that if it bothers you now, it will always bother you. I've had my fair share of experience with this. "end up loving" is a risk. You need to be prepared to take it. Now, here's a question...If you put the ring together with the stones you have, and end up finding The Perfect petal stone later, could you swap it out?

That's a great question. If the answer is "no", then wait. If the answer is "yes" then proceed. That's my thought. Good luck. Stones are really pretty!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look lovely together (match-y but not overly match-y), however, if it bothers you at times, there is the possibility that it will bother you eventually. I am in the camp of "get it done now and if the right one comes along later, then go ahead and replace it". I am the type where I mull over every detail and will wait years for everything to be as close to perfect as possible before going ahead with the setting project. I also understand that not everyone feels the same way (don't need perfection, don't want to wait eons and other constraints).

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really are beautiful colors aren't they. Maybe I am nit picking out of reluctance to end the project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results