shape
carat
color
clarity

whats the fuss about jadeite

silky43

Rough_Rock
hi I am new to all this but it seems to me that jadeite is a complete waste of all the money. I agree it looks nice and is very rare but you can get a lot prettier gems for a fraction of the cost e.g. tourmaline. I know it is a different colour to many gems and has a nice glow but it is no match to many other gemstones out there.
can someone tell me what all the fuss is about and if there is some factor I missed.
thanks
silky43 :appl: :appl: :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a jade expert by any means, but it was once a very popular gem among the emperors of China, and there is some tradition among that.

Fine imperial green jade that is translucent is the material that is worth big money. Much jade is not anywhere near as valuable, but can be made into lovely objects nonetheless, and it's very durable material as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good jadeite is very clear, almost glass-like but yet glows a deep emerald green. It is a colour that is difficult to describe. There are too many low quality jadeite in the market that makes one think that's all there is to jadeite. It is also more durable than most other coloured gemstones and can be worn 24/7 due to its fibrous internal structure.

silky43

Rough_Rock
TL|1395336960|3638024 said:
I'm not a jade expert by any means, but it was once a very popular gem among the emperors of China, and there is some tradition among that.

Fine imperial green jade that is translucent is the material that is worth big money. Much jade is not anywhere near as valuable, but can be made into lovely objects nonetheless, and it's very durable material as well.
thanks for the help
:appl: ;)) ;)) ;)) ;)) ;)) ;)) ;)) :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The toughest gem out there, the ancient chinese used to sharpen swords with it .
It can be scratched by diamonds sure, but chipping or cracking , not a chance.

And like Chrono says its coloured by Chromium just like Emeralds so it has that Colombian Emerald Green

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Rarity and lore. You can find bushels of other colored gems, but fine, Imperial Jadeite is exceedingly rare.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert either, so I go to those who are. The necklace belonged to Barbara Hutton, sold by Sotheby's. The bangle is also from their site & illustrates the translucency & glowing color of jadeite. (I hope PS will make it look as good as it does on my computer.)

Here is their description of jadeite:

"Neither standardised nor formulaic, jadeite's most important qualities are colour, transparency and texture. First and foremost, colour is crucial, the prime value factor, with the best denoted as "emerald green," a vivid, vibrant green, pure and penetrating. The next criteria is translucency, the finest jadeite being almost transparent, or semi-transparent; some experts test this by trying to read through the jadeite. Next, the unique texture of jadeite comes from its crystal structure, the property that also delivers its intense hardness, and the best material, classified as "old mine" – as shown to perfection in this necklace – has a glossy, glassy, almost luminous finish, as if lit from within. Finally, the evenness of colour, consistency of saturation, intensity and brightness, come into play and are especially important for beads, which demand the greatest precision of carving, polishing and colour-matching. Jadeite is most often cut en cabochon to maximise its colour, crafted into beads, or carved into traditional, stylised naturalistic forms, or into bangles.

"The colour, light and sheen, the sheer physical beauty and extraordinary properties of jadeite are almost inseparable from its powerful spiritual dimension and the deep-rooted position of awe and reverence that it occupies in Chinese culture."

jadeite2.jpg

jadeite1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
silky43|1395336290|3638014 said:
hi I am new to all this but it seems to me that jadeite is a complete waste of all the money. I agree it looks nice and is very rare but you can get a lot prettier gems for a fraction of the cost e.g. tourmaline. I know it is a different colour to many gems and has a nice glow but it is no match to many other gemstones out there.
can someone tell me what all the fuss is about and if there is some factor I missed.
thanks
silky43 :appl: :appl: :appl:
Eww, Ouch, Yuck.

Everything is a waste of money till you learn about it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lots of truth in that, Kenny.
also, many do not see the really fine stuff because most of us do not have the $ a Barbara Hutton, Liz Taylor, etc have and therefore just do not frequent the same gem dealers, etc. we have to wait until they die to see their collections, unfortunately.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I am Chinese, I am not keen on jades, never have. They do not agree with me, in that the colours went duller over time for pieces that were worn next to the skin.

My mum lent me her jade ring that had a gorgeous vivid glassy green centre stone, and for my sins, I managed to lose the stone at a work related function, and was too drunk to realised what had happened. I searched for it for hours in the middle of the night, even emptied the vacuum cleaner used by the cleaners.

My mum was philosophical about it, and said the jade had saved me from some bad luck, la di da.

That was the last time I wore jade, and that was over 20 years ago.

Whenever I am in Hong Kong, I would window shop and ogle at the jade jewellery, however, I definitely prefer emeralds to jade.

DK :))

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just about to send a lovely piece of apple green jade to GIA - fingers crossed it is Type A - if it isn't, imperial jade is my next gem hunt.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just when I think Jade is overrated and a waste of time, I see photos of the real deal and lust takes over. The glow, the translucency, the strength - how can nature have even made something so perfect? :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beware of the dyed material.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
dk168 said:
Although I am Chinese, I am not keen on jades, never have. They do not agree with me, in that the colours went duller over time for pieces that were worn next to the skin.

My mum lent me her jade ring that had a gorgeous vivid glassy green centre stone, and for my sins, I managed to lose the stone at a work related function, and was too drunk to realised what had happened. I searched for it for hours in the middle of the night, even emptied the vacuum cleaner used by the cleaners.

My mum was philosophical about it, and said the jade had saved me from some bad luck, la di da.

That was the last time I wore jade, and that was over 20 years ago.

Whenever I am in Hong Kong, I would window shop and ogle at the jade jewellery, however, I definitely prefer emeralds to jade.

DK :))

I too am chinese, and only somewhat keen on jade. at its greenest, it's too blue tone in colour (like good, expensive emeralds) to look goo on me.. I actually like that the colours will change. my mother and grandmother always tell me how the jade evolves to take on a vein-like appearance to match the patterns of your own veins. also, faceted gems for me all the way - jade seems to look good only on grandmothers, and modern designs seem to sanitised for it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have preferred if they did not photograph those jadeite pieces on a green background. I tried to find pieces that look a touch more modern for those of you who don't like the Chinese themed pieces.

images__1_2.jpg

images__2_0.jpg

images__3_.jpg

images__5_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've met many Chinese who believe that Jadeite will "improve" with wear, becoming greener and clearer. This is a myth that still seems to run strong today. Nephrite and jadeite do change colour over time due to oxidation but the green colour does not darken over time. The red, yellow and brown colours of jadeite are caused by oxidation when exposed to the elements over thousands of years. I believe that this myth was started to market lighter coloured and poorer quality jadeite, tempting buyers to buy these with the expectation that they would darken over time to look more like the rich emerald green of imperial jadeite.

images__4_.jpg

images__6_.jpg

_16066.jpg

kite_or_free_form.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
When I look at these pictures, I get the impression that really high quality jadeite is something you really have to see in person to appreciate.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Really interesting answers here. I saw a piece of jadeite similar in colour to the last photo Chono posted in a museum and understand the appeal.

deskjockey said:
When I look at these pictures, I get the impression that really high quality jadeite is something you really have to see in person to appreciate.

I agree.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
I believe that this myth was started to market lighter coloured and poorer quality jadeite, tempting buyers to buy these with the expectation that they would darken over time to look more like the rich emerald green of imperial jadeite.

I think you're right, Chrono. As well as what Desk Jockey wrote.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deskjockey|1395410658|3638700 said:

I think this is certainly true, but I can say right now without a doubt, that I am totally, head over heels smitten with the Barbara Hutton jade necklace - fine jade is indescribable, like its alive and glowy - like green water almost. See? I can't even describe it. I only know its one of the most beautiful stones in the world and if anyone would like to give me some, please contact me. :bigsmile:

silky43

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone I realise to appreiciate it you need to know all about it
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If we are speaking of jadeite, can someone hint me some good vendors?

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Harder than steel and tougher than Diamonds = Burmese Jadeite, and little else....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know of any jadeite vendors in the US other than Mason Kay. I generally buy my jadeite jewellery in Asia, where there are more options.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would certainly not say no to some perfect, translucent, glowy green Burmese Jade earrings. :bigsmile:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't feel the love for jadeite but respect that other people do. To me it looks like (and please forgive me for saying this) plastic. However, I may have never laid eyes on the high quality specimens that people covet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh huh, Minou, I see what you are up to. :nono: :bigsmile:

Lisa,
Not offended and no need to apologize. Before I saw fine jadeite, the included ones looked like marble rocks to me and the dyed or imitation ones looked like green plastic too. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results