shape
carat
color
clarity

What to look for in a Paraiba Tourmaline???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I've been lusting over an antique cushion cut paraiba tourmaline and am wondering what to look for in a good stone?

The stone has what I would call twinning wisps(for lack of better terminology), but I love the color, cut and size :) Just not sure if the color is a little too green vs. neon blue for a good paraiba.

Thanks in advance!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look for a stone that when you see it doesn't look like a clone of an aqua, blue zircon, blue topaz, regular blue/green tourmaline or other blue green gem. They have a glow about them like kryptonite. It's very hard to explain but try to find a very bright and saturated stone without any secondary hues of grey or olive - it should be "neon." They can be extremely pricey in the upper high end range, even from Mozambique. The true Brazilian stones are almost extinct, but you can see a few extremely high priced ones at paraibainternational.com and palagems. There was a thread in "show me the ring" with a drop dead gorgeous perfect paraiba. It was in a thread where a lady posted a ton of pictures of diamond solitaires in the 10+ ct category from Graff and other high end jewelers. I wish I could find the thread. OMG!! It was the most gorgeous paraiba I have ever seen and it was HUGE!!

ETA: On ebay I see so much dull lifeless, or aqua looking tourmaline being passed off as paraiba, it's ridiculous. I think as long as they find copper in it, they think it can be called paraiba, but to me, it should have the distinct radioactive color that is so highly prized. Needless to say, I've also seen super neon tourmalines coming out of Afghanistan without the copper in them, so with anything, it should always be about the color first and foremost. The most valuable paraibas are called "windex blue" since they supposedly have the color of windex glass cleaner. Widget once posted her neon paraiba next to a bottle of windex, it was hilarious, but true!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL! I found both the rings you wrote about---they are fabulous!!!

I am torn, because I love the cut-but I am thinking it may be a little too green! Maybe worth seeing it in person-who know :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the color, that''s what matters. Do you mind sharing a pic?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please do share a pic. I'm in the market myself but won't poach yours. I'd like a greenish-blue super-saturated one. I don't expect it to be clean, but it has to glow like crazy.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
TL-I do really love the big fat facets, not the best cut(some windowing)---but it kind of just sings to me :)

Harriet-I''m not worried about you pouncing-LOL, the one I''m looking at is not super saturated---someday
11.gif

5.65ct paraiba tourmaline.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually saw that one yesterday, I'd stay away from it. The photo has been doctored, or the lighting has been set up to enhance it, I believe, and I think you'll be disappointed in it's neon when you get it.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
TL and Harriet-thanks for your opinions, I am torn because I really love the cut of it-just something that speaks to me!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 3:59:36 PM
Author: stepcutnut
TL and Harriet-thanks for your opinions, I am torn because I really love the cut of it-just something that speaks to me!
Well, I see you or someone else purchased it. I hope you like it, if the purchaser was you. Please post pics if it''s yours.

cup_of_t

Rough_Rock
i cant get a link to work but if you put ''theo fennell paraiba'' into google and look at images, the fourth one in (blue ring in a kind of brown bowl thing) is the one i drooled over all summer. it was the most stunning ring that i have ever, ever seen. it was like looking into a swimming pool on a sunny day, but in a ring. if only i had that spare half a million lying around...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn''t one of his rings go for $400,000 with a like 10 ct paraiba in it? Very glowing, just like I like ''em!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
stepcutnut,
Does the vendor have a good return policy? If so, see if the stone ''speaks'' to you in real life. If it does, don''t let it go.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 4:21:41 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 12/10/2008 3:59:36 PM

Author: stepcutnut

Well, I see you or someone else purchased it. I hope you like it, if the purchaser was you. Please post pics if it''s yours.

It was me, I just had to see it in person :) I made an offer and they excepted, so I guess time will tell!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post pics when you get it. Congratulations!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stepcutnut,
Did you ever get your tourmaline?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results