shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do with oval dark blue sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I have an 2+ carat oval dark blue sapphire (5mmX7mm). It is currently set as a pendant with 4 prongs holding it in a vertical position. There are 2 loops that stick out of the top where the chain goes through. It is set in yellow gold. The pendant is pretty, but I find I almost never wear it because it seems to get lost on my neckline. I also don't wear a whole lot of yellow gold. So, I'm thinking about having a new setting created. I'd like to keep it as a pendant/necklace but I'd like something new in white gold. Ideas anyone?

I also have matching earrings for it. Each earring is about 2/3 of a carat same on basic yellow gold 4 prong basket setting. I'd like to change the earrings as well.

This is the setting it is in now...different stone of course, but it gives you an idea. THANKS!

http://www.stuller.com/public/product.aspx?prodGrpID=a0e9a168-fb02-4c14-8c6c-0830fe9a1d56&categoryID=9b26e05c-5699-497e-8008-79d89ed66606

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been looking around and have some ideas....

I was thinking of doing a halo setting. I like the Ritani endless love look...but my stone is an oval. I think it would make the sapphire show up better when I wear it. I would like a design without a bail. Would it be better to set it e-w or n-s?

For the halo...the obvious choice would be diamonds...but could a lighter blue colored sapphire halo work? Can anyone mock up a oval dark blue sapphire with light blue halo?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my very very primitive rendition! (I couldn''t figure out how to change the color of ONLY the diamonds in the halo I found, so the metal is sort of bluish too)

I think an east-west setting would be much more interesting, and I would attach the chain sort of to the sides of the stone (as in the picture) instead of sticking a loop/loops on the top.

I''m enjoying playing with the photo software I didn''t realize I had on this computer, so if you''re looking for something a bit different let me know, and I can hopefully get a bit better at it!
37.gif

sapphire_necklace2.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
albicocca

Thanks for the mock up. That is pretty close to what I was thinking. On the part right around the stone would it be possible to make it a solid bezel? I think I like the e-w setting..You''re right it much more interesting. I wish I had a photo editing software....

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
One more request...can you make the size of the halo stones smaller so the center stone is more prominent? THANKS!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
My original image is just getting more and more messed up
7.gif
so don''t zoom in!

But this does sort of create the effect I hope?

I''m so embarrassed though, I did extensive photoshop touching up for the art history department in college for a long time, so I feel like I should be able to do better.
39.gif
If only I actually had Photoshop to work with now!!!

sapphire_necklace3.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
one problem...
if its dark in an open setting its going to look even darker in an enclosed setting.
Light getting to the back and sides of it can make a huge difference in dark stones.
lighter toned stones are more suited to that type of setting.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my latest version!

My computer crashed on me so I had to redo it, but I think it turned out better this time anyway, so it''s all good!

sapphire_halo_4.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
albicococca--thanks for the revisions. You captured what I was thinking.

strmdr--What else could I do? The stone is about 5mm X 7mm.

Valerie--I did see the other thread. I''d love to have a light blue center like she is considering, but I already have the dark blue sapphire.

I''m open to other suggestions so feel free to chime in!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea how the largest yellow stone is set here, so it might not be feasible with your stone, but I thought this necklace was gorgeous. (I also toned it all to blue to give you a better idea for what it might look like with sapphires)

blue&yellownecklaces.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2005 2:25:19 PM
Author: IslandDreams

strmdr--What else could I do? The stone is about 5mm X 7mm.
How dark is it?
deep blue or inky blue?
How would it look to you if it looked darker?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2005 2:00:04 PM
Author: albicocca
Here''s my latest version!

My computer crashed on me so I had to redo it, but I think it turned out better this time anyway, so it''s all good!
I''m drooling!
30.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the links on this thread goes to a simple circle pendant. Which reminded me of another... set with about half a carat of tiny diamonds and less than 2mm wide: a ''diamond thread'' just waiting for a blue drop on it, as far as I can tell
2.gif

I don''t know if they can simply add a basket setting for the blue stone casually in there (the frame with diamonds is very thin, apparently), but on a drawing it is only too easy.

WFblue.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yumm i like that idea val.
The hard part will be bring together the thin circle with the deeper oval and make it look good in 3d.
If it could be done it would be kicken.

or
how about a basket mount for the oval hung from the top of the circle so its centered in the circle.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2005 8:51:28 PM
Author: strmrdr

The hard part will be bring together the thin circle with the deeper oval and make it look good in 3d.
If it could be done it would be kicken.

The stone is small (maybe 3mm deep) so it shouldn''t be a huge issue. Instead of a usual basket setting deeper than the stone, it could easily be held in a simpler under-girdle wire holding the prongs. Not sure if these have a name.
Those aquas are huge - the little sapphire will not leave all that much pavilion touching the skin. And then, the entire circle will only be ever so slightly tilted up which can''t hurt, I would think. Unless some sort of support (beads?) even it out.

DSCN6642_Assorted.jpg

But you know what, I really have no idea what I am talking about here. If this forum wouldn''t be so friendly & informal...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Here is what I would do with it!
31.gif

darkblueovalwithrolledpavehalo.JPG

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2005 2:59:48 PM
I have no idea how the largest yellow stone is set here, so it might not be feasible with your stone, but I thought this necklace was gorgeous. (I also toned it all to blue to give you a better idea for what it might look like with sapphires)

This necklace is by David Fescier and can be found here:

http://www.indiansun.net/storedft.asp

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I''m still liking my original idea of a halo around the sapphire. Could the stone be set slighly above the halo to still allow in light? What size diamonds would be best for the halo--.01, .02 etc?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2005 9:56:54 PM

This necklace is by David Fescier and can be found here:
It looks like a brilolette...

p2DF170.jpg

... strung between other beads through a hole though its rather unusually carved tip. The smaller ones are cut the usual briolette way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results