shape
carat
color
clarity

What stone(s) should I consider for a special project?

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh, it arrived! :appl: (Please excuse the dry, gross hands)

img_8001.jpg

img_8002.jpg

img_8003.jpg

img_8005.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks just like the vendor's picture! So....is it a keeper?

S

SparkliesLuver

It is indeed, Chrono! My son's eyes shift color, and they have some gray, so I think this stone is perfect. :D

A big thank you goes out to everyone!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lively blue :love: :love: :love: A blue with character and mood changes. I like!!!
I hope you love it. How does it feel after reviewing it for a short while?

S

SparkliesLuver

Aw, thank you, Acinom! It is pretty lively and has lots of character, both of which describe my son. :lol: I'm glad you like it too!

I'm most looking forward to taking it outside this afternoon and seeing what it looks like. It shifts quite a bit as I move throughout the office floor which is really neat. It's so well-cut, too - Jerry does amazing work.

ETA: I've never had such a small stone though, so I'm going to rely heavily on Julia to help me come up with the perfect setting. :confused:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has it been Afternoon yet in your part of the globe and more importantly... did you take outdoor pictures?

It may not be a large stone but it's strong enough to stand on its own. It will shine on your finger. You always come up with great ideas on settings. I am convinced you will find the perfect match for this gem as well.

My boys always enjoy it when I wear 'their' stacking rings, especially the youngest. It will be theirs when they become adults, just like you will give yours to your little son. There is a whole story behind it about how the 3 men in my life have different personalities, yet fit so well together. And how the rings of my sons look different from the top...yet have the same shape etc etc. I am convinced your son will love his ring just as much.

I personally love that stone, probably because I have a huge weak spot for blues.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, folks, let's get this straight: 6 mm is NOT a small stone. :lol:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful blue. Do I see perhaps just a whisper of green or does my monitor have a mind of it's own? Well done!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
We all have CSSS

S

SparkliesLuver

Sorry, Acinom, yesterday turned out to be much busier than expected. I did, however, manage to take a couple quick pictures in the box (so sorry, I know) before getting in my car. I swear, the box is adult-proof! But the stone totally shined outside. It was so lovely! Anyway, here they are. Thank you for your kind words - that means a lot to me. :) I love the story of your rings. I'm so glad you shared it! ETA: I thought you'd enjoy this little story: I showed my son the stone this morning (in the box, of course) and explained to him what it was and what I was going to do with it. He took it ever so delicately from me, sat down on the floor and just stared at it for a few minutes, moving the box back and forth in the light. Then when he handed it back he said, "mommy ring." It was the cutest moment. :)

Chrono, I didn't mean to offend anyone or imply anything negative. :oops: I guess I consider it small (for me) because my hands are huge and I don't want anything so pretty to get lost.

Thank you, Lisa! :) I actually haven't been able to detect any green, but there is a teeny, tiny touch of purple that I see in real life (but not in the pictures).

I wish I didn't, preg. :doh:

Julia sent me four designs yesterday, so I'm excited to mull them over and pick one. :) I also hope to mail her the sapphire today.

img_8025.jpg

img_8026.jpg

img_8027.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaah, that's such a sweet and cute story.
The storytelling already begins :D

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous!! :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

haha It sure does, Acinom. :D

Aw, thank you, ricezo. :) I appreciate your kind words!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1432156991|3879264 said:
We all have CSSS

I don't have CSSS, just small hands with VERY chubby fingers, and a 6mm stone is small on my size US 10.5 middle fingers, unless it is for day time wear when less bling is called for.

Mind you, I can now wear bigger CS for day time rings, providing the setting is not too blingy, like my aqua ring. So perhaps I have a tad of CSSS afterall!

DK :bigsmile:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see how the JKT ring turns out, as she has not updated her website or her Etsy store front for a while.

DK :))

S

SparkliesLuver

You make an excellent point, DK. Thank you for reminding me that this project isn't about bling - it's more the meaning behind the project. Plus, I hope to make this almost a daily wear ring. How often do you (plan to) wear your aqua?

She's no longer using Etsy for commissioned pieces - only her website. She's sent me some examples that aren't on her website, so I agree that she should update it. Her work is beautiful! :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1432642640|3881193 said:
You make an excellent point, DK. Thank you for reminding me that this project isn't about bling - it's more the meaning behind the project. Plus, I hope to make this almost a daily wear ring. How often do you (plan to) wear your aqua?

She's no longer using Etsy for commissioned pieces - only her website. She's sent me some examples that aren't on her website, so I agree that she should update it. Her work is beautiful! :love:

Good to hear JKT is still active, as I like her work too.

I have worn my aqua a few times for daytime social events, and have worn it to work a couple of times.

Not too keen on wearing it to work as I needed to take my rings off before I put on disposable gloves.

However, I shall start a new office base job this Thursday, therefore, I shall wear it more often.

S

SparkliesLuver

Yes, I'm so happy I found her. :)
Does it feel at home on your finger? I'm glad you've worn it several times already. Ah, okay. Yes, that does make it more difficult. My husband works in manufacturing so he hardly wears his wedding ring. :| Oh, good! How fun. :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1432643300|3881197 said:
Yes, I'm so happy I found her. :)
Does it feel at home on your finger? I'm glad you've worn it several times already. Ah, okay. Yes, that does make it more difficult. My husband works in manufacturing so he hardly wears his wedding ring. :| Oh, good! How fun. :D

The aqua, or any other ring, feels odd on the left hand, as I normally wear a ring on my ring finger and not the middle finger.

It is something I need to get used to, and I hope to do that in no time.

And thanks for your kind wishes re: my new job.

S

SparkliesLuver

Ah, I see. Yes, introducing a finger to a ring can feel awkward! I'm sure it'll take a couple weeks, but after that it'll feel like your ring finger does.

:D

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you picked your favourite design Sparkliesluver?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SL: You did very well. That stone is gorgeous; full of different looks and personalities. I can see your son some day loving the stone and the thought behind it. :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

I have, Acinom! I was debating between two, but ended up choosing the one I was initially drawn to. I emailed her this morning, so I'm sure I'll share drawings once we have everything completed. :)

Thank you so much, minousbijoux. That means a lot. It really does. I look forward to him "playing with it" on my finger and sharing the story.

S

SparkliesLuver

My finished ring arrived today and I absolutely could not be happier. :D I actually got a little teary eyed when I first put it on because it feels right at home on my large finger/hands. Julia Kay Taylor was an absolute pleasure to work with, so I hope this isn't our last collaboration. I only have two office pictures right now, so I'm excited to take more tonight outside.

From rough to finished ring:

rough_571cts.jpg

_32042.jpg

_32043.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

My son's two year pictures were taken a couple weeks ago, so in closing I thought it only appropriate to post one. :)

Thank you all for your help!

_32044.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The perfect blue for his eyes. :appl: Glad to read that JKT is still taking commissions.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm glad you think so too, Chrono! Thank you. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its beautiful and matches his eyes! :love: I love it! FWIW, I'm another big finger gal and 6mm is cusp for me, depending on how its set.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful outcome Sparkliesluver! It's a stunning stone and setting. And the emotional connection with your son make it extra special. The blue of the stone is such a great match with your son's eyes.

Enjoy wearing your very special ring :love:

S

SparkliesLuver

Aw, thanks Arcadian. :) Are you? Glad I'm in good company. ;-) You know, I'd have to agree with you. I love the twist for several reasons, one of which is the added size.

Thank you, Acinom! :D I can't wait to show it to him when I pick him up from daycare. Something tells me he'll notice. I'm glad you think it's a good match as well. All the stars aligned on this project, and I'm very thankful.

ETA: Thought I'd add that the ring is unplated. I've never had an unplated ring before but I really like it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results