shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the best way to sell some of my gem collection?

Leo Lady

Rough_Rock
I am curious if anyone has suggestions for selling some of my colored gemstone collection? I know we can't sell them here. I have some stones I'd like to cash in, but I have no idea how best to do that.

Anything I should do and/or avoid?
Do gemstone cutters sometimes buy back their stones?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks so much!! :D

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can sell them here via the Preloved section, which you have to be logged in to see.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1372210485|3472382 said:
You can sell them here via the Preloved section, which you have to be logged in to see.

Actually, with all respects distracts, we cannot sell them on Preloved just list them there. You will need to sell them elsewhere - like Loupetroop, ebay, or Diamond Bistro, and then list them on Preloved.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1372213117|3472406 said:
distracts|1372210485|3472382 said:

Actually, with all respects distracts, we cannot sell them on Preloved just list them there. You will need to sell them elsewhere - like Loupetroop, ebay, or Diamond Bistro, and then list them on Preloved.

Oh yes, this. What she said.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Leo Lady|1372205687|3472315 said:
I am curious if anyone has suggestions for selling some of my colored gemstone collection? I know we can't sell them here. I have some stones I'd like to cash in, but I have no idea how best to do that.

Anything I should do and/or avoid?
Do gemstone cutters sometimes buy back their stones?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks so much!! :D

I don't think cutters will buy back their stock outside the return period. However if it comes from a PS known cutter like Gary, Dan, Jeff, Peter, etc then you can usually not take a big hit when selling it. I have sold off a large portion of my CS collection and with PS known gemstones cutters- those were the ones that sold the fastest and while I still always sold at a loss it was usually only around 15%-20% (usually not always :rolleyes: :knockout: )

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB makes some really good points. Its true that it depends on the type of stone, the color and which lapidary cut it. From my experience, I've found that the ones that seem most sought after are ones cut by Barry Bridgestock. Even so, I'm lucky if I can recoup my costs.

distracts - I forgot to use emoticons :roll: , so I hope you know that I didn't mean that in any kind of snotty way, :errrr: , just a leeetle correction as we've seen some newcomers lately actually try and sell straight off of Preloved...

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Leo Lady, are you on Facebook?

If you are, you can search for, and join the group called "Fine Faceted Gems and Cabs Market". It is a group that anyone can join, and list their stones that they want to sell to other gemstone collectors/enthusiasts. If you'd like to join, just search for the page and click on "join". I'll look for you (or anyone else) who wants to join and approve you. You're welcome to list any stone above $75 in value, and its free.

There is also a group on Facebook where you can trade your gems, with other gem-geeks like us. Just search for "Trade Your Gems Group" and I can add you.

Anyone is welcome to join either group. If you're unfamiliar with Facebook/Facebook Groups, there is no fees or anything. Anyone is welcome.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are various definitions of the "best" way to sell.

One person may define best as fastest.
Another person's priority is the highest price.
I think speed and high price are often mutually exclusive.

Also it depends on what exactly you have to sell.
If your collection consists of things very like large Kashmir Sapphires, Mogok Rubies and Muzo emeralds all with AGL Prestige reports documenting origin and no treatment then Sotheby's and Christie auction houses may get you the highest price.

On the other hand, if your collection is 'entry level' then maybe eBay would be the venue to sell them yourself.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChrisA222 I asked to join Trade your gems, can you add me?

Leo Lady

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions!

I have a few samples of seller pics of some of the stones in my collection (see below) & I think I'm just going to put them up for auction on ebay in a few weeks after I get some of good pics of my own. Mostly tourmaline, chrysoberyl, and garnet, a few peridot. Pretty much all from ACS, Precision Gem, and Spectral Gem. I really love these stones, but want to pay down some debts!

Thanks again!

_20859.jpg

_20860.jpg

_20861.jpg

_20862.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Those are really nice -- you should be able to sell them without much trouble. Take a look at Loupe Troop and Diamond Bistro -- a lot of PSers cruise those selling/buying sites frequently (like me =) ). You get real gem enthusiasts there who will know the cutters.

--- Laurie

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the chrysoberyl, would love to see more pics, get the details on it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think these will sell well on LoupeTroop to PSers, many of whom love Barry and Roger's work.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results