shape
carat
color
clarity

What's old is new again - reworked gemstone projects

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hello all! Just wanted to follow up on an SMTB photo I'd posted over the holidays that a couple people had asked about, and add a bit more detail. After collecting and setting colored stones for a few years, I found that some of the pieces just weren't as harmonious as I liked, or they suffered some of life's, er, casualties. :errrr: However, with a bit of planning, it was possible to rework them, and I'm thrilled with the end result.

First up is a ring that some of you might remember, with a 9.5mm Pakistani peridot cut by Gene. I adored both the setting and the stone, but the ring was made for a slightly elongated stone, so pairing it with the round shape of the star-80 always looked a bit mis-matched to me.

This past year, I was very fortunate to find a 6+ carat Namibian Spessartite (8.85 x 10.43mm), and after swapping out the stones and editing the prongs, the proportions look much better to me. Now I just have to find a new setting worthy of the peridot!

IMG_4520-1.JPG

IMG_7333.JPG

IMG_1021-1.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
be still my heart!!! flutter flutter flutter!!! Those are STUNNING!!! Gorgeous stones/settings and hand shots!!
:appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

Thanks - feel free to post a WHACK more for us to enjoy :bigsmile:

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
This next pendant holds fond memories for me, as it marks my first NYC GTG w/ a couple of PSers. A 6mm rubellite fit perfectly, but no matter what type or length of chain I tried, it always tipped forward.

It just so happened that another pendant I owned was undergoing a change too, so I cut the diamond bale, and added it to the slider, and this completely solved the tipping issue.

However, as life would have it, several months later, I clumsily dropped the pendant, and the knock against a glass door chipped a huge portion of the rubellite’s table away. Grrrrr! And yet, sometimes the perfect stone comes along, and this tsavorite fit beautifully. In fact, I think I like the pendant even more now, and while the medium tone may not be considered top shade for this specimen, it performs incredibly well in all light conditions.

IMG_2889-1.JPG

IMG_0965-1.JPG

IMG_1934 - sharpening and NR2.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Finally, there's pendant that I removed the bale from. It also had a rubellite, and since I was able to find a suitable match, I took out the stone, found diamond halos, and earring enhancers were born. Here's the pendant before being dissected - I know it seems a shame to take this apart, but I've learned how rare matched pairs are, and I really do love earrings and unlike rings and pendants, I wear them daily.

I had the enhancers made so I could wear them with either the OEC diamond or 4.5mm rubellite studs I already owned. The mini diamonds with the delicate bezel are from a dear friend, and they add the perfect accent. They need just a bit more tweaking to get the length right, but I couldn't be more pleased with the look! I've added a side view so you can see how the jump ring slides over the post of the stud in the back.

And here they are all together!

IMG_5335-2.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_1934 - USM.JPG

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! All beautiful! I particularly love the earrings. :love: :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bestill my heart! Those are all absolutely breathtaking! Enjoy wearing your newest creations! I'd love some earshots if you can get them! :naughty:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You are so creative, Cellentani! I'd never come up with such great ideas! They're all gorgeous & you'll get so much wear out of them. I love the tsavorite -- it looks in the pics like a Merelani Mint, lovely color. Admiration all around for you!

--- Laurie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well done! Total yum!

BTW, Alj gave me the courage to inquire after settings from ID jewellery--her garnet the impetus. Are any of your gorgeous mountings from there?

cheers--Sharon

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh C, I love them all! Not shocking, though, since I've drooled over your collection since that first GTG (GASP!) TWO years ago!

Well done, m'dear. I think I need to see these lovelies in person, yes? I'll shoot you an email later this week now that the craziness of the holidays has subsided... :bigsmile:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I lurrrvee the changes you've made and your pieces are absolutely stunning! Such yummy colors :lickout: The tsavorite is my favorite :love: :love: :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cell,
Your projects and photos are always so gorgeous!!! Enjoy your new beauties! :love:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any favourites because I LOVE THEM ALL :love:

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Wow, those are all absolutely gorgeous! My favorite is totally the pendant, though. I love the color of the tsavorite, and it looks perfect in that gorgeous setting!

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
The tsavorite pendant looks great! And all the photos are so well taken! :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Great pieces! I especially love the double halo and your ering. I live near Quest and was wondering, were you happy with the work they did on it? I found your ering thread here ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cellentanis-honeymoon-with-er-is-over-now-at-quest.107501/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cellentanis-honeymoon-with-er-is-over-now-at-quest.107501/[/URL]), but couldn't find a review of their work. I am thinking of doing a custom ring with them, and am looking for feedback. Thank you!

briolette

Shiny_Rock
What a cool thread and photos! Thank you for sharing all the modifications. Beautiful pieces!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for such gracious comments - it's been a lot of fun putting these together!

Yennyfire: it's funny, I usually like to see ear shots too, but I always loathe my own. However, here's one from Christmas day, when I wore them to dinner. I know it's tightly cropped, but hopefully you can still get the perspective.

IMG_0077.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1325534804|3093591 said:
HI:

Well done! Total yum!

BTW, Alj gave me the courage to inquire after settings from ID jewellery--her garnet the impetus. Are any of your gorgeous mountings from there?

cheers--Sharon

Hi Sharon! I'm afraid that none of these are from ID, but this vendor just down the street. I don't know if you saw my post to you on my other thread, but we most definitely need a GTG! :appl:

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1325535583|3093597 said:
Oh C, I love them all! Not shocking, though, since I've drooled over your collection since that first GTG (GASP!) TWO years ago!

Well done, m'dear. I think I need to see these lovelies in person, yes? I'll shoot you an email later this week now that the craziness of the holidays has subsided... :bigsmile:

It's been too long for sure - would love to catch up! Bring your photo album!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1325604993|3094036 said:
Great pieces! I especially love the double halo and your ering. I live near Quest and was wondering, were you happy with the work they did on it? I found your ering thread here ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cellentanis-honeymoon-with-er-is-over-now-at-quest.107501/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cellentanis-honeymoon-with-er-is-over-now-at-quest.107501/[/URL]), but couldn't find a review of their work. I am thinking of doing a custom ring with them, and am looking for feedback. Thank you!

Hi pregcurious! I was indeed happy with Quest's work on a couple projects - not only did they rehab my e-ring, but I also had them bezel-set a gemstone in a legacy-style mounting. While they were nice enough to accommodate my requests, it isn't the type of thing they generally like to do, and the custom ring that you mentioned is MUCH more their forte. I know a few other PSers have used them as well - vc10um springs to mind, and I'm quite sure she was pleased too. Hope that helps, and please keep us posted!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the reworks!

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a smart thing to do; it's pretty quick and inexpensive too! Not only do you improve on the existing design, you get to enjoy "new" pieces. :appl:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
cellentani|1325689112|3094817 said:
pregcurious|1325604993|3094036 said:

Hi pregcurious! I was indeed happy with Quest's work on a couple projects - not only did they rehab my e-ring, but I also had them bezel-set a gemstone in a legacy-style mounting. While they were nice enough to accommodate my requests, it isn't the type of thing they generally like to do, and the custom ring that you mentioned is MUCH more their forte. I know a few other PSers have used them as well - vc10um springs to mind, and I'm quite sure she was pleased too. Hope that helps, and please keep us posted!

Cell...I don't have my album finished yet, but I'll bring my laptop with all the pictures! :appl:

Pregcurious, I hope you check back in here! I also had some rehab work done at Quest at the suggestion of cell and metromom, and then I went back later for a custom setting, as well as my engagement ring.

Here is my thread showing the before and after of my grandmother's rehabbed wedding set.

And here is the thread showing my custom-designed setting from them, including the inspiration pictures. The price for the custom setting was higher than I expected, but not ridiculous considering the amount of 18K gold involved, but the work was quick and flawless, and because my mother wanted it in time for my birthday, I wouldn't have had the chance to check with any other vendors or send the stone out anyway, so I didn't bother checking around.

Finally, here is the link to my engagement ring. Setting purchased from Quest, stone from Blue Nile, stone set by Quest.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Celletani, I keep on coming back to this thread because that scalloped double halo pendant is my favorite on PS.

Thank you vc10um.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results