shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite CS?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am slowly learning more and more about colored gemstones.

I am currently obsessed with the stoplight red mahenge spinels!

What is your favorite gemstone that you tend to enjoy purchasing and why?

Visual examples welcome!

_11242.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That one's pretty much my favorite too!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spinels. Any color. Pics later! :naughty:

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Today's Different Favorite - Munsteiner Moonstone!

Favorite%20Today%20016.jpg

Why? Because it's artistic and beautiful. It almost looks like a triangle Rushmore.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grey and lavender/periwinkle spinels!

And blue spinels too. hahaha! I also like a hot pink and a red spinel too, plus pinks...basically if it's a spinel, I'll take it!

dscn2258.jpg

_11274.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels are at the top of my list. Durable, comes in many colours and affordable. The high lustre makes for a very sparkly stone. I am partial to red and lavender blue.

red_and_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the edit but I cannot seem to type out how it sounds. It's not "spin-elle" and it's not "spine-elle". Ummmm..."spen-elle"? Sort of rhymes with "spurn" but without the "r"?

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
...ah crud, I've been saying it wrong this whole time!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this depends where you live because definitely in the UK the pronounciation is SPIN ELLE.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Garnets, any color :) I think it's because as a kid I used to find a fair amount of them in rock outcrops in the woods. Since, I've become a little obsessed with the range in color and quality, and can't stop looking at garnets.

I don't have any nice ones (yet) but can't wait to start a collection :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1382720159|3544517 said:
This gives you an audio version of how to pronounce the word. I agree with the first sound but not the second!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMHvnzKGyR8

LD,
I heard it as "spi-nel" rather than "spin-elle". Maybe we are all trying to say the same thing but cannot type out the phonetic sound. :lol: I agree with the first pronounciation too but the second one is wierd! The US folk that I talk to all pronounce it as "spur-nelle" but I much prefer "spi-nel".

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of spinels, lots of people mispronounce Mahenge.

It's not Ma-henje, but Ma-hen-gay

My favorite colored gem would probably be a giant fancy intense or vivid green diamond. :naughty:

dresden-green-diamond.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyl was one that easy to mispronounce..... too many extra letters.

Hmmm favorite? I don't west any but a good alexandrite is so cool.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1382720051|3544515 said:
I think this depends where you live because definitely in the UK the pronounciation is SPIN ELLE.

Yup - everyone I know pronounces it like this and I live in the U.S.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and sorry, I'll be the boor of the group and say that really truly my favorite CS has to be good ol' blue sapphire. Please stop stoning me, PSers

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any stones providing they are neon/raspberry pink/red.

DK :))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1382813749|3545146 said:
...and sorry, I'll be the boor of the group and say that really truly my favorite CS has to be good ol' blue sapphire. Please stop stoning me, PSers
I thought it was Paraiba? Or Cuprian? Or anything teal!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1382820268|3545192 said:
minousbijoux|1382813749|3545146 said:
I thought it was Paraiba? Or Cuprian? Or anything teal!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Hi, I'm Minousbijoux. [pause for reply] Not only am I a gemaholic, apparently, I have a total inability to decide what my favorite stone type is.

Okay! Uncle! If pressed, then I will say my favorites are stones in the cool family of colors. :bigsmile: :saint:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Cool citrine, Ace! :appl: :appl:

Stunning spinel, FiZ! :love: :love:

I have decided to explore the world of fancy colored sapphires. Unusual colors, no treatment! With the limited selection out there, it should give me plenty of time to save up! :bigsmile: (For those of you that know how long it takes me to decide on a stone) I'll get back to you in a few years. :D

Okay, smarties, how do you pronounce padparadscha? :confused: :confused: I can't even find a pronunciation online, and I've been looking!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
roo-bee

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Russian Demantoids are my current obsession. :naughty: I just need to find one with amazing color, and it has to be small, so I can afford it.

il_570xn_25.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
iLander|1382834317|3545312 said:
Cool citrine, Ace! :appl: :appl:

Stunning spinel, FiZ! :love: :love:

I have decided to explore the world of fancy colored sapphires. Unusual colors, no treatment! With the limited selection out there, it should give me plenty of time to save up! :bigsmile: (For those of you that know how long it takes me to decide on a stone) I'll get back to you in a few years. :D

Okay, smarties, how do you pronounce padparadscha? :confused: :confused: I can't even find a pronunciation online, and I've been looking!

I always pronounced it pod-pah-rah-sha

ETA: Found it http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/padparadschah+sapphire

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1382834660|3545315 said:

Huh! I always thought this was rub-bay with a plural form of rub-eye. Will wonders never cease.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1382835108|3545319 said:
Russian Demantoids are my current obsession. :naughty: I just need to find one with amazing color, and it has to be small, so I can afford it.

il_570xn_25.jpg

Interesting that there is a such a huge price differential in the cost per carat for Russian demantoids over and under a carat. I would definitely think that for the money, a demantoid of .5-.75ct would be the way to go. I'm sure you are checking in with Michael at Litnon since he seems to specialize in them?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say what is my favorite- do you mean what stone has stood the test of time for me? I am in love with Mahenge spinels and have three rings and one unset. I will always love them the best. I have a light blue sapphire ring and that stone makes my heart flutter a little every time I see it. I really almost love red spinels, and have two rings. But I think I am getting a little fickle with them. I also have some really nice spinels that I am like "Meh" right now.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Spinel and garnet are my favorite, followed closely by tourmaline, alexandrite, and benitoite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results