shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the gemstone size to finger size ratio?

HayleyMarie

Rough_Rock
My ring finger is a size five. What rule do you usually follow for a gemstone size, especially if it is a oval with a halo or a oval with cluster surrounding it. Kinda like Kate middletons ring.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not aware there is a ratio. I think it's personal preference and you'll see a variety here...
I think there maybe a rule of thumb on halo melee size ratio, but even that varies a lot.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
There isn't one.

I have stones ranging from 6mm to 10mm widths. And my ring size is typically 6.25.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 'rule' is, do what you like. ;))

If you feel size-X rock is too large for size-Y finger then it is too large.
If you feel it isn't, then it isn't.

If you are going to worry about what others think you'll drive yourself nuts, and will often be wrong since we're not psychic.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever you want and like... there are no rules. The stones I wear regularly range in size quite a bit - if you add the fact that I have tiny stones in solitaires and large stones in halos, it varies even more. Just depends on what you're comfortable with and the "look" you're going for. And, of course, what you can afford.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No rules at all; some like to wear big rings, some prefer a ring that looks more understated. It is all about personal preferences and comfort zones. I wear stones ranging from 6 mm to 12 mm on a size 4.5 finger.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on personal style, choice and ring style.

For example, cocktail rings and right hand rings are intended to be big and showy, whereas an engagement rings are more likely to be elegant and understated.

DK :))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely personal preference and for a ring like Kate Middleton's you can get very different looks depending on the ratio between centre and surrounding stones. If you have large surrounding stones then it's more like to look like a flower - smaller and then the overall look becomes less flower like and more like a halo. Hope that makes sense.

HayleyMarie

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. You are all so very helpful and put up with my newbie questions. LD that makes perfect sense. I will be trying on rings in a week with girls friends and I will get a feel then what i feel is appropriate size for my finger.

Thanks again :)

Hayley

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results