shape
carat
color
clarity

What is an acceptable loss on a stone?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am thinking of purchasing a stone from an Etsy vendor that has a limited return policy (7 days, exchange only). The item is less than $200, but the vendor cannot provide proof that it is not treated. If it is untreated, it is very underpriced, and very rare. (It is not a Paraiba.)

I am thinking of buying it and sending to be analyzed, which would cost me about $100 (report and shipping). I will not be able to get a report within the 7 day exchange period, so I would have to eat the price of the report and the stone if it turns out to be uber treated, which I do not want.

What is an "acceptable" loss on a stone? I know this is an expensive hobby, but I am sure all my previous purchases are as claimed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the vendor be willing to accept a full refund/purchase if the stone comes back as treated, even after the review period is over? As for your question, I've not experienced this myself but off the cuff, I don't think I am willing to take such risks since I am a stickler on the topic of treatment.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, very good question, which I am planning on asking the vendor. You have phrased it perfectly.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, Preg, what you are asking is really a personal comfort level thing. :(sad For me, I would be willing to take the risk under certain circumstances. It would depend upon the reputation of the seller and what I knew of their past practices. In this case, you are getting the deal you anticipate you would be getting due to the seller selling it in its unknown state; it is unrealistic to ask for him/her to sell it to you at a bargain price, but then refund if it doesn't come back with a good result lab report. In other words, you are asking the seller to bare all the risk. If that is the case, then he/she would likely want to sell it for a much higher price at the outset.

But to answer your question, if I felt comfortable with the seller or had strong reason to believe the outcome would be favorable, then I would be willing to take such a risk - and the possible subsequent loss, which I would chalk up to experience.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1393262683|3621958 said:
Unfortunately, Preg, what you are asking is really a personal comfort level thing. :(sad For me, I would be willing to take the risk under certain circumstances. It would depend upon the reputation of the seller and what I knew of their past practices. In this case, you are getting the deal you anticipate you would be getting due to the seller selling it in its unknown state; it is unrealistic to ask for him/her to sell it to you at a bargain price, but then refund if it doesn't come back with a good result lab report. In other words, you are asking the seller to bare all the risk. If that is the case, then he/she would likely want to sell it for a much higher price at the outset.

But to answer your question, if I felt comfortable with the seller or had strong reason to believe the outcome would be favorable, then I would be willing to take such a risk - and the possible subsequent loss, which I would chalk up to experience.
Another well written point of view.

Sometimes when I am faced with risk, I like to ask for other people's opinions to make sure I am not being completely irresponsible. I think this is the way I'm leaning, but I'll have to sleep on it a bit. This whole CS collecting thing is a learning experience for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results