shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this moonstone?

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I mentioned in another post that I was eyeing on a round moonstone cab from Pala, which I would set as a pendant. I asked them for a few more pictures. But after seeing these pictures, I am not sure any more..I would like to hear your opinions.

It is this moonstone: https://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=13258
It has a diameter of 18.25mm, and a depth of 15.64mm. It has one cresent fingerprint reaching the side of the cab surface. Below are the 3 pictures I have.

Initially I thought the depth is fine. But after seeing the additional pictures, I am afraid the stone might sit too high on the chest, and it might look like, urh, a (blue) acorn?

The fingerprint also concerns me. Theoretically I could re-polish the dome lower to remove inclusion, but I don't feel like paying for the weight to be lost..

moonstone.jpg
Moonstone_39.28cts(a).jpg
Moonstone_39.28cts(b).jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I think the stone is really beautiful the dreaminess of it is probably partly due to it's depth. I think it would be fine as a pendant (Just gives you more room for stellar design work) with the depth of the gem. MHO. I could see long spindly prongs holding onto its little gem body. Think of this ring in pendant form.

fp251_main.gif

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that setting is gorgeous!

I was thinking about a simple floral bezel setting earlier, from Adwar, in white gold..I don't know how it looks from the side, though.
adwar.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally I'd hold out for one without an inclusion and with a lower profile - shouldn't be too hard to find.

The setting posted is gorgeous but I would worry that it would constantly flip sideways as a pendant. Also I prefer to pay for face-up weight that side weight in my stones!

fzpanda

Rough_Rock
Looks nice. but in terms of inclusions, can't tell much in this sort of lighting.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Treenbean|1291222094|2784143 said:
I think the stone is really beautiful the dreaminess of it is probably partly due to it's depth. I think it would be fine as a pendant (Just gives you more room for stellar design work) with the depth of the gem. MHO. I could see long spindly prongs holding onto its little gem body. Think of this ring in pendant form.

geez, i love that ring!

depth is not a bad thing....it can give better color and in this instance more mooniness. i have a very large grey moonstone...and i mean large....set in a ring and within its dreaminess i do see a fracture of some kind. however, i wear this ring all the time and i'm rough with my hands. i've not had any problems with it. and i would not have hesitated to have it set as a pendant/brooch.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is a year old and thus, I don't think it'll do much good to Cookie at this point.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results