shape
carat
color
clarity

what do you think about this blue sapphire?

dm-smith

Rough_Rock
hey guys, what do you think about this sapphire? it's 3.66ct untreated blue sapphire. the color of the stone is exactly the same as the on in the pic. I took 100+ pics, and none of them look good. However, when I asked my grandson took take the pic (with the same phone), one try and he got this. kids these days... Anyway, back to topic, the price of this sapphire is extremely high. This sapphire has 2 gigantic bubble in the middle, but My friend (the seller) keep telling me that the sapphire is from kashmir (at least that's what gubelin and gia cert said). my friend did not mind if I want to send this stone to AGL for verification. My question is, what makes this sapphire soooooo expensive. I've seen bigger, cheaper, untreated sapphire for lower price :o

what's the ideal price for untreated sapphire of this size?

_22930.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dm-smith|1412309198|3761089 said:
hey guys, what do you think about this sapphire? it's 3.66ct untreated blue sapphire. the color of the stone is exactly the same as the on in the pic. I took 100+ pics, and none of them look good. However, when I asked my grandson took take the pic (with the same phone), one try and he got this. kids these days... Anyway, back to topic, the price of this sapphire is extremely high. This sapphire has 2 gigantic bubble in the middle, but My friend (the seller) keep telling me that the sapphire is from kashmir (at least that's what gubelin and gia cert said). my friend did not mind if I want to send this stone to AGL for verification. My question is, what makes this sapphire soooooo expensive. I've seen bigger, cheaper, untreated sapphire for lower price :o

If it really has Kashmir origin, he's probably pricing it based on that origin. Kashmir origin usually carries a premium, but it's not always worth it. You see, there are great, good and meh sapphires from Kashmir. Just because a stone comes from a prime location, doesn't mean it will be top quality, or even semi good quality. I've seen nicer sapphires from Madagascar than that stone.

When I think of fine Kashmir material, something like this comes to mind instead. It is very saturated and has fine silk throughout.

tnscrq6_1_.jpg

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Depends, if we are talking about the Kashmir Origin and Color shown by TL, it would easily be 10k-50k/carat(at least I would pay for that price, assuming I have the resources :$$): ), but as TL said origin only should not be the main criteria determining price.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with TL - the quality is important not he orign! Same in alexandrite ( russian vs. other)

But a Kashmir is much more worth in similar color like a burmese, Sri Lanka or Madagaskar.

The bubbles? Could you describe them...

And a copy of the certificate... :appl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can see the inclusions in the centre of the stone very clearly so this SHOULD be reflected in the price. So if this sapphire is very expensive then I have a feeling it's overpriced. The colour also doesn't have the "glow" of a top quality Kashmir sapphire so again, the price should reflect that.

The thing is that vendors can price their stones as they want but if you look at a stone and it literally takes your breath away that's a reason to see a hefty price tag.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree, it is not top color, and does not glow nor have clarity. I would want one (glow) or the other (clarity), or both ( :angel: ) in a sapphire.

dm-smith

Rough_Rock
treasurehunter|1412330884|3761232 said:
Can you return it ?
of course. I haven't paid for that stone. The owner is my friend :)

pregcurious|1412346872|3761331 said:
I agree, it is not top color, and does not glow nor have clarity. I would want one (glow) or the other (clarity), or both ( :angel: ) in a sapphire.

the stone does glow if you see it under normal light, but neither my grandson nor I can take the picture with my shitty phone :boohoo:

Chautea

Rough_Rock
Trade
dm-smith|1412309198|3761089 said:

Origin aside...

And only taking into account the clarity, color and cut along with untreated.

Direct From Miner - no more than 1,000 - 1,200

Wholesale - no more than 2,000

Retail - you will not find an "ideal" price.

Chautea

Rough_Rock
Trade
With origin taken into account from Kashmir...

You will pay much much more than what I quoted.

I suggest not paying a premium for origin on stones that are not exactly premium quality.

Don't know what your friend paid however so I'm not saying they paid too much. But generally real Kashmir origin sapphire don't come cheap.

Do get a full AGL prestige report with origin if you paid something significant or much more than what I quoted. Never pay for a stone based on origin only without AGL reports to back it up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results