shape
carat
color
clarity

What do u think of this Alexandrite?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! I came across this alexandrite on Tan's site and bought it as I like its strong color change. here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370410347560&_trksid=p2761.l1259#ht_2523wt_917

I thought of setting it together with my unheated blue pear sapphire, into this bypass ring. The pear sapphire has yet to reach me, hopefully it does color shift to purple in incandescent light. They are almost of the same size, maybe +-0.5mm . Will u be able to tell the slight difference in size when they are set together?

In other words, in the daylight the alex will be green and the sapphire blue. In incandescent light, the alex will be orangy pink and hopefully the sapphire will be purple.

Do u prefer the bypass ring idea? Or do u think that they should better off sits on its own (probably a double halo ring due to its tiny size)?

TIA =)

7967-s1.jpg

17528-ae3.jpg

Leon_bypass_diamonds.jpg

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
I like the bypass ring, but I'm not sure how it would look if your pears have slightly different dimensions. I have a pear from my original ering and was thinking maybe earrings. Well, finding that 2nd pear to match is trickier than I thought. The shape comes into play. Will you be able tos ee them side by side before you decide?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should see the alexandrite in person first, and then decide.

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
oops scratch all that, for some reason your sapphire wasn't coming up on my screen and now I see it!! It looks to be a pretty good match to me! I still think it might be nice to have the stones to walk them into different lights to see if you like the way the pair changes. I'm such a touchy feely person myself (not to mention slow to decide on my jewelry designs).

I do think the bypass would be simply lovely! Who would you have do it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d definitely wait until you receive the stone to see if the colour matches well to your pear under most lighting conditions.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I'd wait to see it in person but initially I'd say no, the alex won't look good next to your sapphire. They don't have enough in common to be roomies...and not exactly far enough for opposites to attract. I wouldn't put them together.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you own an Alex or have you ever seen one in person? Most people really don't like them because the daylight colour isn't always as attractive as other green stones. The one in Tan's video is a real olive/grey/green and not a forest green. Also the night time colour is unlikely to be orangey pink. It looks a browny maroon/pink colour. I'm not sure how that'll look with the Sapphire from a colour combo point of view.

Whilst I like the sound of your idea (and the Leon bypass ring), I honestly wouldn't ever team an Alex with a Sapphire. That's not to say it might not work because it may well do so but I just don't "see" it if you know what I mean!

Wait until you have both stones and then before you commit to anything make sure you check out both stones together in ALL lighting conditions, daylight, incandescent, fading daylight etc.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
The last alexandrite I bought from him was NOTHING like the picture/video... I sent it back, and received a refund and everything... but I was pretty shocked at how awful it was in person.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you gals for the input! The bypass ring is a setting idea I have in mind. I definitely have to have both stones in my hands before deciding :) yeah, I will be running around the house with the stones to see them in various light condition =) wow, seems like lotsa negative feedback on Tan's alex :shock: I will only receive the 2 stones probably 3 weeks later, I will definitely post some real life photos when they arrives!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, it seems alexandrite is one of those gems where there is no middle ground. You have to spend a fortune to get a good one, otherwise all the less expensive material is muddy and not very attractive.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi TL! I am not expecting a top grade Alex from Tan's site:) I like this particular Alex because there is no window (kinda rare for Tan's stone heehee), dramatic change in color (well, mm..from the photos and Tan's description. But I'm keeping my fingers cross till I see it IRL) and lastly its of the same proportion as my pear sapphire, in almost the same size.

I realized that should there be any brown/grey modifier, GIT will state it in the memo For instance, 'green to brownish pink' etc. Let the report speaks for itself:) I can't wait to see it. As usual I do not pinned high hopes for Tan's stone, but I have to say that there were couple of pleasant surprises! Hopefully this is one of the few, else I will have it return!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
vbnet said:
oops scratch all that, for some reason your sapphire wasn't coming up on my screen and now I see it!! It looks to be a pretty good match to me! I still think it might be nice to have the stones to walk them into different lights to see if you like the way the pair changes. I'm such a touchy feely person myself (not to mention slow to decide on my jewelry designs).

I do think the bypass would be simply lovely! Who would you have do it?

Hi vbnet- I might have missed ur question:) If its not a complicated design, I usually have it made in Thailand as its cheaper, but this particular jeweler is from Chantaburi and does not have direct email access. So I will have pass the design I want to my uncle who is base there and he will see to its production.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results