shape
carat
color
clarity

What do I need to know about a star sapphire?

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
This star sapphire is set in a platinum setting and the stones are diamonds. How can I tell if the sapphire is authentic rather than man-made? Also, what would be a fair price for this ring?
image_1343.jpg

kavnadoo

Rough_Rock
Is there a gem lab nearby to you? Or an accredited appraiser? I get certain items verified and certified, depending on what it is (for authenticity and treatment if any) for peace of mind.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a very pretty setting & makes a nice ring. Nobody can give you a valuation from a photo -- first its genuineness would need to be evaluated by a lab -- AGL is best for colored stones if you are in the US; that's the only way to know for sure whether it's really a sapphire or not. However, at least in your photo, the star is indistinct & saturation & tone light, which detract from its value. It would be up to you whether you want to get it checked or just wear a very nice ring for the pleasure of it.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These must be considered to properly evaluate the quality, and therefore, the price/value of a star sapphire.
1. How strong is the star and how well does it move?
2. Is the star well centered?
3. Are the legs straight or squiggly?
4. Translucency of the body?
5. Body colour of the star sapphire?
6. Has it been lightly heated or surface diffused to bring out the star better?

Unfortunately, nobody can tell you this from a single or even multiple pictures. We might be able to guess whether it is a synthetic if there are obvious signs such as an overly strong star with super straight legs but even that is inconclusive from pictures.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
They are asking 725 for it. I think the setting alone is worth that bc I love it but I don't want to be wearing a man made stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
braga123|1394203773|3629281 said:
They are asking 725 for it. I think the setting alone is worth that bc I love it but I don't want to be wearing a man made stone.

If you love it, then get the ring and have it sent to a good lab that will tell you whether it is a natural stone or a synthetic. Can the final sale be contingent upon the stone's verification that it is a natural stone? And if it is a synthetic, you can always replace the stone with another one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results