shape
carat
color
clarity

What Color is a Mahenge Spinel?

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Please show me what a proper Mahenge Spinel is supposed to look like. I've had 2 in my collection, but have since sold them. I would love to add another one down the road and would like to see some good examples. Thank you!

Lori

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'd start with Chrono's avatar!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's a "show me your Mahenges" thread here too that has some amazing examples.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mahenge, Tanzania is the location and produces many different colours of spinel ranging from blue to red to orangish and everything in between. I know this isn't what you meant but wanted others reading to be aware that when one says Mahenge, it doesn't necessarily mean that famed neon red or hot pink colour. ;))

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Would this Spinel look good in the Sholdt rose gold setting that I've got my heart set on?

Lori

gary_mahenge_spinel_118.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori,
Do you truly love this colour? It isn't a strong pink (a touch of orange on my monitor and not well saturated) but I don't know what you are looking for. I think it has the potential to look good in rose gold. Does the measurements fit your setting? Given that it is a bezel setting, you have less wiggle room. The stone is rectangular but the setting looks square.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
The color is a dusty rose and I would be very happy with it. Sholdt said they could make the setting to fit any shape since every setting is custom made.

I'm still a long way off and just getting some ideas.

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds good to me! Have you received the spinel yet? Have you put it on a penny or pool of rose gold jewellery to see the effect? How about the foil test? What does the profile of the setting look like?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it would look lovely. IMO, "dusty rose" colored stones (this type of spinel, some tourmalines, morganite) look great in rose gold. It's not the classic hot pink-red "Mahenge" color, but if you love it, that's what matters.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
No, I haven't seen this spinel in person, but I have always wanted a dusty rose color. I still want to replace the "true pink" mahenge spinel that I sold...but not for a long time in the future.

Thank you for boosting my confidence!

Lori

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the dusty rose color very much. I think rose gold would be so femine and lovely.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty stone, but if you're bezeling it, just know that it will probably appear smaller in the setting. It's a small stone to begin with, and perhaps you may want to do prongs instead?

I have a dusty rose spinel too, in a 18K yellow gold halo, and I love it. I find that color looks best in yellow gold.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your feedback. This is a project for down the road. I'm starting a new round of chemo and won't be able to do much of anything for quite a while. Wishful thinking at the moment..... :twirl:

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori,
I'm sorry; I hope you'll feel better soon and recover 100%.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lori I'm so sorry to read your news. I hope it goes well and that you're shopping for your dream spinel in no time.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah, I HATE chemo!! Here's hoping it decimates the bad for you with as few side effects as possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results