shape
carat
color
clarity

what color gold setting for a light pink sapphire?

jasmine2011

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers! I had been looking for a very light pink round sapphire for my ering and finally found one I liked for a reasonable price on planetarygems.com. I was thinking of setting it in the gabriel & co pave solitaire setting from good old gold. The sapphire arrived today and it is such a light color that I starting thinking maybe rose gold would make it look more pink. What do you think? Would white or rose (or maybe yellow?) gold make this stone look the nicest?

siddddeview.jpg

jasmine2011

Rough_Rock
here is a shot of the stone from the top. It''s 1.55ct and 7mm x 4mm.

topppstone.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding your stone! Pink is my favorite color! I have 2 light pink tourmalines that I have yet to set, but I''m inclined to think that a white metal would compliment pink best. I''m a huge fan of yellow gold but I don''t think light pink looks quite right with it. I''m not sure about pink gold... perhaps it would get lost in it...? Someone with more experience is bound to chime in.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
nice looking pale/light colored ruby
2.gif

sorry can''t help you with setting...i leave that up to the ladies

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my thoughts ......

White gold may make it look too cold
Yellow gold may be too much of a contrast
Rose gold would certainly emphasize the pink more

I can''t believe I''m going to say this (as I''m not generally a fan) but for this sapphire I''d go for rose gold!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2010 5:52:29 PM
Author: amethystguy
nice looking pale/light colored ruby
2.gif

sorry can''t help you with setting...i leave that up to the ladies
*chuckles because I have one of those too*

I would for sure say rose gold. It would help to bring the pink out more on this stone.

-A

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that the pink would look beautiful and icy in a white metal. I don''t usually love pink with yellow gold and I too would worry that pink gold wouldn''t give the stone enough contrast to stand out.

jasmine2011

Rough_Rock
I had the idea of pairing a white gold pave setting with a pink gold pave wedding band. That way I will have the best of both worlds. I''ve seen the pink/white pave combo in stacking rings and I think it looks nice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2010 5:54:38 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Just my thoughts ......

White gold may make it look too cold

Yellow gold may be too much of a contrast

Rose gold would certainly emphasize the pink more

I can't believe I'm going to say this (as I'm not generally a fan) but for this sapphire I'd go for rose gold!
ohno.gif
I can't believe it either!!

Honestly, I think an all rose gold ring would overpower the stone, but a rose gold bezel with the rest in white gold, would be nice.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty sapphire. I like the rose gold / white gold combo.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I would do a rose gold bezel or rose gold prongs, and the rest in white gold. Or, I''d do the whole thing in yellow gold. Its definitely a tough one.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Tough call! I''m inclined to say rose or yellow gold would both overpower the subtle color of the stone, but rose would complement it whereas yellow would clash. I would probably go with white or even the warmer tone of unplated white gold.

jasmine2011

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input! I''m not much of a bezel set kinda girl, so I don''t think I''ll be going that route. I''m having problems envisioning a white gold ring with rose gold prongs. Anyone have any pictures? I am definitely worried about rose gold detracting from the delicate pink color of the stone.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do white.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jasmine, one way to really know what pink/rose gold will do is to put the stone next to a new penny. That will help you determine if it would work for you. If you have white gold in a chain or ring, you could also put the stone against that to see what the color would do.

The stone''s color is very delicate, so it would depend on where you really want to do with it as far as color. Will you have any side stones on the ring, will it be a halo or solitare?

-A

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2010 11:08:30 PM
Author: jasmine2011
Thanks for the input! I''m not much of a bezel set kinda girl, so I don''t think I''ll be going that route. I''m having problems envisioning a white gold ring with rose gold prongs. Anyone have any pictures? I am definitely worried about rose gold detracting from the delicate pink color of the stone.

if this is an e-ring and you chose this stone because it was almost clear but slightly pink then I would embrace that and go with white. Let it be the subtle gem that it is.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also depends on the rose gold alloy, some rose gold is pinker and some is more coppery and probably not suitable for such a delicate pink stone. Pink diamonds tend to be a similar light pale shade of pink and are often enhanced with a pink basket and/or rose gold prongs. Search pink diamond rings, and I'm sure you'll see some examples of white gold rings with rose gold prongs.

If you do decide to go all white gold, I would enclose it with metal like a halo, to deepen the color a little. There was someone that purchased a very very pale pink tourmaline and put it in a white gold halo setting, and it made the color of the stone stand out. I think it was Lambhorginigirl, but I can't find the thread.

Do you have the vendor photo of your stone. I would really appreciate seeing how your stone and the vendor photo compares since I have looked on Planetary gems many times. Thanks in advance!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think unplated WG is a terrific idea.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some colour combinations.

This one is natural pink diamonds set in rose gold (less coppery in real life!) with a white gold shank. I think this one works because there are white diamonds in the shank. I''m not sure it would have worked with a plain white gold band. The rose gold looks very obvious in this photo but don''t forget it''s highly magnified. In real life you don''t notice it and the overall "look" is pink.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is on the hand so you can see what I mean.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, this is a real mix and match one! It''s a natural pink diamond with a rose gold bezel (that''s quite coppery) with a white diamond halo set in white gold and then a yellow gold shank! A bit of everything!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a very pale Kunzite set in rose gold (with a white gold shank)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a pale Kunzite set in very subtle yellow gold (with a Morganite above it - ignore that!)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one - this shows you a pale pink against all white gold. This is actually a Morganite with Beryl.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
If you want to enhance the pink of the sapphire, I would go with rose gold - I think white gold might wash it out, but you could definitely pair a rose gold setting with a white gold pave band - I love that idea! I have a very pale pink, nearly colorless morganite that looked grey and blah in white gold, but took on a beautiful blush color in rose gold.

Here''s a photo on the hand.

BKmorganite4.JPG

jasmine2011

Rough_Rock
I did the penny thing and also put it against something white gold that sorta resembles the setting I was thinking about getting. This is the setting: http://www.idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=4061&cType=

I emailed Yekutiel at ID Jewelry (where I was going to buy the setting) and he said I should be able to do rose gold prongs without a problem. I just still don''t really know if I like the way it looks to have the prongs a different color from the band...BUT I do think the pink gold might help keep the stone from losing its pinkness since sometimes in natural light it does look kinda grey/colorless. Decisions, decisions!

pennny1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results