Trade
CirrusClouds|1416099063|3784397 said:
Very nice piece Tourmaline!!!

Thank you. :)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1416097022|3784381 said:
You should email Barry again. I feel very bad now Elliott. Immediately after I saw star sparkle's ring I emailed him and he got back to me this morning with a stone that is a bit bigger but he says it is very like hers. I even sent him a pic of her ring so he knew exactly what I wanted (hope that is ok star sparkle). He is sending it to me next week. He did say he looked through his moonstone-s plural so maybe he has more? I am so sorry that he did not let you know ahead of time. I do not check in as much here and was amazed to see her ring and the quality of the stone.

It definitely makes me :confused: I guess for whatever reasons it just isn't in the cards for me. I hope your moonstone is everything you hope it will be.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm just wondering if what you're asking for is more than what Barry thinks he has. I actually went moonstone shopping over the summer and I think their most expensive piece was under $300, and was really nice. So if you're expecting to spend thousands of dollars on a stone, Barry probably thinks what he has isn't what you want.

I mean, I ended up buying a piece that has one minor inclusion but tons of blue sheen for $14. The other two I was looking at were under $200, and both were over 4cts, one had nice blue sheen but a black inclusion and the other was a true rainbow moonstone, but were pretty top of the line, from what I understand.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1416113078|3784492 said:
I'm just wondering if what you're asking for is more than what Barry thinks he has. I actually went moonstone shopping over the summer and I think their most expensive piece was under $300, and was really nice. So if you're expecting to spend thousands of dollars on a stone, Barry probably thinks what he has isn't what you want.

I mean, I ended up buying a piece that has one minor inclusion but tons of blue sheen for $14. The other two I was looking at were under $200, and both were over 4cts, one had nice blue sheen but a black inclusion and the other was a true rainbow moonstone, but were pretty top of the line, from what I understand.

I didn't give him any kind of budget (I'm looking to spend [x] amount) at all. In the initial email I asked about a moonstone he had sold (looks just like star's) and if he was planning on getting more, to which he said he isn't interested in stocking more because it isn't a big seller.

There seems to be a disconnect on what I said earlier about the really nice top moonstone being expensive, but I didn't go in like "Find me a $1200 stone." It was more "This is what I want, I'm ready to buy" and being told no, only to turn around and see others getting the stones I have been dreaming about for so long from the vendors who turned me away.

I hope this doesn't sound too bitter, I just want to clarify. I am probably coming across like a toddler who didn't get an ice cream cone when her friend did, it isn't my intention. Sometimes my online tone really lacks.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also want to thank everyone here for being awesome and kind and helpful. Maybe it just isn't the right time to pick this project up (again).
Oreo still loves me :lol:

_24234.jpg

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
A reminder no selling or soliciting for sales on the forum. Keep any sales requests or information on Preloved per our policies.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1416114580|3784500 said:
I also want to thank everyone here for being awesome and kind and helpful. Maybe it just isn't the right time to pick this project up (again).

And with good reason. You are his savior.
I am sorry that the perfect blue moonstone has eluded you so far. One day the right stone will be yours.

As a funny aside the title of your thread reminded me of when I was a little girl and my grandma used to lovingly hand grind chopped liver for us. Gross (to me now) when I realized what it was but at the time it tasted delicious. Ahh the blissful ignorance of youth. Now I wouldn't go near it with a 1,000,000 foot pole lol.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
We love Oreo too!

I feel for you, Elliott. I've spent forever looking for a few stones with no luck & somebody turns up with exactly the thing from someone who didn't have anything a few weeks before. It's frustrating!

Just to clarify because I'm confused now:
TL said:
Barry, as well as other vendors, prefer to sell their stones in drops, and not by request usually.

Then why are we telling newbies to "check with some of the vendors because they usually have stock they don't put up on their sites?"

--- Laurie

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps TL meant to say those vendors prefer to sell new stones via drops? I.e., it's worth checking to see if they have what you want at hand, yet not posted online, but if they don't have it in their current inventory, don't expect them to create-maintain a wish/wait list with your name on it. At least that's what Brad conveyed to me (albeit not as bluntly) when I asked him about sourcing a stone like one he had sold earlier in the year./

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1416147172|3784606 said:
Perhaps TL meant to say those vendors prefer to sell new stones via drops? I.e., it's worth checking to see if they have what you want at hand, yet not posted online, but if they don't have it in their current inventory, don't expect them to create-maintain a wish/wait list with your name on it. At least that's what Brad conveyed to me (albeit not as bluntly) when I asked him about sourcing a stone like one he had sold earlier in the year./

Yes, some vendors, not all, really prefer to sell through drops. They don't like to hold or commission stones for a customer. You can ask what they have in stock, but since their drops are so popular, it's like winning the lottery if you get a stone.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So how am I, as a buyer who asked the exact same question months ago, supposed to react when I see:

"Immediately after I saw star sparkle's ring I emailed him and he got back to me this morning with a stone that is a bit bigger but he says it is very like hers. I even sent him a pic of her ring so he knew exactly what I wanted (hope that is ok star sparkle). He is sending it to me next week."

When apparently the key is to follow drops, set alarms, and pray that you get a stone?

I am totally cool with however a vendor wishes to do business. If it is drops or nothing, fine. If they don't want to source stones, fine. But if that is not the case for everyone it is a little confusing and off putting to me the buyer who now feels pretty dejected. It is done with now, there's nothing further I can really do, but I am definitely chalking this up as a big learning experience, and I will not hesitate to work with Brad because I found him extremely helpful and forthcoming on two moonstone inquiries.

I know there are people here who have had nothing but glowing experiences with these sellers and I am happy that you are able to access stones you love.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't take it personally Elliot. Maybe that's a great repeat customer he's doing a favor for.

Like you said, it's just the way some vendors do business. I personally stopped following drops a long long long time ago because, #1 - it's frustrating, and #2 - I enjoy hunting for gems on my own with dealers that I actually have a good chance to obtain a gem from. I'm really picky, and I return a lot too, so many vendors don't like to deal with me, even if I did win a drop. ;-)

That being said, Barry is a really nice guy, great lapidary, and I hope perhaps one day you can get a gem from him.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
One thing I know about Barry is that he won't sell a stone he has mentioned in a newsletter. Once it's in the newsletter, it's going into his drop, even if you offer him a million dollars and beg a whole bunch. I've tried. On multiple occasions.

Usually, it's just a matter of timing though. If Barry has what you want, he'll sell it to you. But typically, and I find this is true with many cutters, they will not go out and buy rough on a customer's whim, especially if it's something they haven't seen a huge demand for already. Certain things are always safe bets, like blue/purple spinels, green garnets, pink garnets, etc.

And it's through star sparkle's journey that she just happened to be there at the right time, after paying attention to the newsletters, and having numerous contacts with him over the same desired stone. I believe that he had some before, she bought one, then he got a few more pieces in, she bought another one, he listed another couple pieces, and I'm assuming that the other poster that emailed right away got the last piece. I don't think he's being a jerk to you intentionally, I'm guessing the timing is just not right.

If I thought that black inclusion in that other one I found at the store wouldn't bother you, I'd point you in that direction, because it was a beauty, but I don't know that it'd be within your tolerance levels.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1416149965|3784623 said:
So how am I, as a buyer who asked the exact same question months ago, supposed to react when I see:

"Immediately after I saw star sparkle's ring I emailed him and he got back to me this morning with a stone that is a bit bigger but he says it is very like hers. I even sent him a pic of her ring so he knew exactly what I wanted (hope that is ok star sparkle). He is sending it to me next week."

When apparently the key is to follow drops, set alarms, and pray that you get a stone?

I am totally cool with however a vendor wishes to do business. If it is drops or nothing, fine. If they don't want to source stones, fine. But if that is not the case for everyone it is a little confusing and off putting to me the buyer who now feels pretty dejected. It is done with now, there's nothing further I can really do, but I am definitely chalking this up as a big learning experience, and I will not hesitate to work with Brad because I found him extremely helpful and forthcoming on two moonstone inquiries.

I know there are people here who have had nothing but glowing experiences with these sellers and I am happy that you are able to access stones you love.

Elliot, I understand what you are saying......completely. I have experienced the same thing from some vendors and it is disheartening at best. I also have made a decision to drop vendors that have treated me this way -thankfully they have been a minority. It isn't rational to say "I only sell on weekends", for example........and then open the shop for someone else on the day they call--which is a weekday. Whether it happens once in a while or is totally random, it just isn't the way I operate, so my tolerance isn't there. My money is as good as anyone else's........I'll spend it supporting the vendors I feel good buying from. Sorry you had this experience........

Have you seen this one? Not sure it would match your expectations and I'm not a moonstone person....but I had a good experience making a purchase from them.......... http://www.rarestone.com/index.php?page=product_details&product_id=3887

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1416168809|3784765 said:
One thing I know about Barry is that he won't sell a stone he has mentioned in a newsletter. Once it's in the newsletter, it's going into his drop, even if you offer him a million dollars and beg a whole bunch. I've tried. On multiple occasions.

Usually, it's just a matter of timing though. If Barry has what you want, he'll sell it to you. But typically, and I find this is true with many cutters, they will not go out and buy rough on a customer's whim, especially if it's something they haven't seen a huge demand for already. Certain things are always safe bets, like blue/purple spinels, green garnets, pink garnets, etc.

And it's through star sparkle's journey that she just happened to be there at the right time, after paying attention to the newsletters, and having numerous contacts with him over the same desired stone. I believe that he had some before, she bought one, then he got a few more pieces in, she bought another one, he listed another couple pieces, and I'm assuming that the other poster that emailed right away got the last piece. I don't think he's being a jerk to you intentionally, I'm guessing the timing is just not right.

If I thought that black inclusion in that other one I found at the store wouldn't bother you, I'd point you in that direction, because it was a beauty, but I don't know that it'd be within your tolerance levels.

Thanks Freke, that actually makes me feel a bit better. I know you have purchased many stunning stones from him, and sometimes as much as you want a sale to happen it just can't if everything doesn't fall into place. Such is the nature of internet buying.

I would totally be interested in seeing that moonstone, inclusion and all.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1416140961|3784582 said:
Elliot86|1416114580|3784500 said:

And with good reason. You are his savior.
I am sorry that the perfect blue moonstone has eluded you so far. One day the right stone will be yours.

As a funny aside the title of your thread reminded me of when I was a little girl and my grandma used to lovingly hand grind chopped liver for us. Gross (to me now) when I realized what it was but at the time it tasted delicious. Ahh the blissful ignorance of youth. Now I wouldn't go near it with a 1,000,000 foot pole lol.

LOL yeah, I have no idea if I have ever accidentally tried chopped liver, but I certainly wouldn't be brave enough as an adult!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1416142824|3784589 said:
We love Oreo too!

I feel for you, Elliott. I've spent forever looking for a few stones with no luck & somebody turns up with exactly the thing from someone who didn't have anything a few weeks before. It's frustrating!

Just to clarify because I'm confused now:
TL said:
Barry, as well as other vendors, prefer to sell their stones in drops, and not by request usually.

Then why are we telling newbies to "check with some of the vendors because they usually have stock they don't put up on their sites?"

--- Laurie

Thanks JewelFreak. Ah the crazy world of gem buying. Hardly like buying a new pair of shoes! It is so thrilling yet frustrating, because once you find the perfect stone you'll probably never find it again ;(

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks digdeep! I appreciate the shared experience. That moonstone is really nice, I will bookmark it. I had my heart set on a cab, but it seems as though those are in super demand at the moment!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let me see what kind of pics I can dig up.

The pear is the one I ended up with, the middle one is the one I've been going on about and the one on the right is a rainbow moonstone which has a fair amount of red/orange/etc to it. Really fascinating stones, but they are the devil to photograph. The store I found it in has no online presence, but I have a friend that could pick it up from the store and send it to you. The inclusion disappears when it's on a black background - I didn't even notice it until I put it on my hand. It'd be really cool to put it on top of oxidized silver or something like that, then it'd just disappear.

elliott.jpg

elliott2.jpg

elliott3.jpg

_24264.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Elliot, I believe Freke's post here is dead on. I absolutely wouldn't take it personally that things haven't worked out - I don't have the longstanding relationship with Barry that some here have (I've only bought directly from him maybe 5 times over the last 1-1.5 yrs, as my other Barry gems have come from LT and DB). However, from day one, Barry has treated me extremely well, as if I were a long time buyer. Apart from the things Freke mentioned, Barry had said in his last newsletter that his wife had surgery recently. Between that and taking off some time as I think he usually does in mid or late summer, he may not have been as responsive or as on top of everything as usual, and perhaps your requests just slipped through the cracks

As far as kindness and respect from gem cutters goes, Barry and Dana have my utmost respect hands down. They are my two top favorite cutters bc not only are they very talented and offer well priced, great material, but they always treat me extremely well. I've bought from many of the recommended vendors but now gravitate towards a few due to how well I've been treated in the past. (And my favorite jeweler vendor who sells gems but doesn't cut personally is Yvonne Raley - I wouldn't want to leave her out if I'm mentioning my favs ;-). While I recognize that we all have our favorite vendors, I've found that some go way above and beyond to make my buying experience a very happy one - and I feel quite safe in saying that Barry is such a vendor.

I'm sure you will find a stunning gem, and I wish you the best of luck :)

Freke, thanks for the pics, I love that rainbow gem on the end! Very pretty, I've not seen many moonstone cabs with that good of a "rainbow".

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1416177269|3784826 said:
Let me see what kind of pics I can dig up.

The pear is the one I ended up with, the middle one is the one I've been going on about and the one on the right is a rainbow moonstone which has a fair amount of red/orange/etc to it. Really fascinating stones, but they are the devil to photograph. The store I found it in has no online presence, but I have a friend that could pick it up from the store and send it to you. The inclusion disappears when it's on a black background - I didn't even notice it until I put it on my hand. It'd be really cool to put it on top of oxidized silver or something like that, then it'd just disappear.

I love love love that middle one, even with the inclusion! It gives it personality! You rock! Lets get together on LoupeTroop and talk details :appl:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliott I totally think it was timing for me and maybe I should not have posted at all. Except in his email he said he sorted through moonstones plural and I was looking for a specific size. So I thought maybe he had a bigger one for you if you tried again. He is an utter gentleman and I would not rule him out because of this one time that may be a bit of "other circumstances" (personal things?) involved.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
This thread drove me nuts because I remember when looking for a sapphire I stumbled onto a site with LOTS of moonstone, and I couldn't remember it. So after several days of driving myself nuts, here she is:

http://gemsboston.com/index.php?p=home

I don't know anything about them in terms of what they're like to deal with, but they have pages and pages of moonstone cabs, and some finished jewelry too.

(OK, I finally found under the policies that they deal with trade members only, so there's that little hiccup)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
katharath|1416094190|3784365 said:
Star sparkle - first off, I just saw your moonstone ring pics, it is GORGEOUS!!! I think that's one of the nicest ones I've seen Barry offer, how beautiful and the setting is wonderful.

Also, that's how I always have to get my gems from Barry too, lol - alarm setting and stalking :). I got my moonstones from him by being very vigilant. It is time consuming but worth it to get Barry's gems.

Thanks, katharath! :wavey: Have you posted pics of your moonstones here? I'd love to see them!

redwood66|1416097022|3784381 said:
You should email Barry again. I feel very bad now Elliott. Immediately after I saw star sparkle's ring I emailed him and he got back to me this morning with a stone that is a bit bigger but he says it is very like hers. I even sent him a pic of her ring so he knew exactly what I wanted (hope that is ok star sparkle). He is sending it to me next week. He did say he looked through his moonstone-s plural so maybe he has more? I am so sorry that he did not let you know ahead of time. I do not check in as much here and was amazed to see her ring and the quality of the stone.

Definitely ok!! I can't wait to see what he has for you!

I just want to reiterate this, I think it's exactly right. I had been talking to him about a particular stone (the first one I mentioned that I missed out on buying) before it was listed in his drop, and he wouldn't sell it to me before listing it. Then it sold before I could go buy it, so I wrote to him again asking if he had anything else similar, and he responded that he did and I could buy it. I bought it, held onto it for awhile, and then saw him mention in another subsequent newsletter that he'd be dropping another (bigger) stone that I was interested in, and I really stalked that one. I didn't even bother emailing him about it before the drop because I knew he wouldn't sell it to me early, so I stalked his site and made sure I was first in line when the drop came.

Again, best of luck to you! :wavey:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback everyone, all is well. I just purchased a lovely moonstone via Freke's friend, so big thanks to both of them :appl:

In terms of any gem dealers here, there are no hard feelings (or at least there aren't on my end)! As I said before and genuinely mean, people have to do what they have to do. If drops and the like keep things easy and simple, I get that. First come, first served. However I know myself well enough to know that I just don't have the patience or attention span to follow stones like that. I'm a very lazy buyer and I know it. I like to inquire, see it, buy it. Gem buying is already such an emotional rollercoaster as it is :lol:

As a nice aside I think this thread is a wealth of gem buying knowledge and tricks!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
deskjockey|1416327288|3785786 said:
This thread drove me nuts because I remember when looking for a sapphire I stumbled onto a site with LOTS of moonstone, and I couldn't remember it. So after several days of driving myself nuts, here she is:

http://gemsboston.com/index.php?p=home

I don't know anything about them in terms of what they're like to deal with, but they have pages and pages of moonstone cabs, and some finished jewelry too.

(OK, I finally found under the policies that they deal with trade members only, so there's that little hiccup)

I swear there is a moonstone conspiracy in the gem world :lol:

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results