shape
carat
color
clarity

WARNING and a "Lessons Learned" Experience - Etsy

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
I'm sharing my story about getting ripped off by an unethical etsy seller. I know I made mistakes, but I really didn't see this coming.

I saw this moonstone ring on Etsy, and had it favorited for quite a while.

il_170x135_2.jpg

As a graduation from a master's program to myself I bought it. The seller, Aawsomeblei,https://www.etsy.com/people/AawsombleiJewelry, had a ton of 5 star reviews. Although his pieces were overpriced for what they are, I couldn't get this stone out of my mind. I read the return policy, just in case, and also his terms of payment. 20% restocking fee. I've used wire transfer before, and knew the risks, but with such an established Etsy story I felt confident. Jason was professional and quick to respond, and quick to send the ring. When I opened it, it didn't look like any moonstone I had ever seen, in a good and bad way. It didn't have the center adularescence, but rather a distinct cats eye effect. I wish it had more of the glow, but I loved it. Until I turned it over and saw a bright purple backing on the stone, complete with a scratch.

icm_fullxfull_47.jpg

This was not disclosed in the original etsy listing, and I didn't think to ask because it's ridiculous for someone to not state a thick, scratched purple backing on a stupidly expensive ring. I was kicking myself, and still am, but figured that Jason would either have an explanation, or be open to taking back the ring because a color enhancing coating like that is beyond the pale of what "natural" means.
screen_shot_2015-05-25_at_8_1.png

Um, really?! A bright GREEN stone, and a purple backing is totally normal and may even be natural! After this he offered store credit, but I pushed for a refund. Screen shot:
screen_shot_2015-05-25_at_8.png

But what really pissed me off is that I had posted the stone back within 24 hours of receiving it. I stopped by a jeweler to use a loupe to get a good look at the coating. It was hideous. After the package had been sent and signed for, I came home to this:
screen_shot_2015-05-25_at_8_0.png

Now I am PISSED. Not only did I use western union to pay for a stone that was stupidly, ridiculously color enhanced, AND because it was WU he didn't complete the transaction using the Etsy system, so I had zero recourse. I panicked, thinking I would be out all the money and the ring, so I asked for him to send the ring back and bill me for the shipping and we'll forget the refund. Luckily, I got my cashier's check, with the 20% restocking fee taken out, which I think was ridiculous because the stone was so enhanced and he didn't tell me, but like I said, lessons learned.

DO NOT buy from Aawsomblei Jewelry on Etsy! :angryfire:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand why you are frustrated. From now on, ask all the relevant questions prior to purchasing, especially regarding treatment which is often left out (whether out of ignorance of the seller, assuming that the consumer doesn't care, or dishonesty sometimes).

Natural can refer to the origin of the stone (earth mined/a lab) and the treatment status. Can a heat-only sapphire be called natural? Can a reconstituted emerald be called natural? Where is the line drawn? I think we have personal boundaries and we know what is acceptable to us. That is why, before making a purchase, it's important to know the details of a stone and it's treatment status in case your boundaries and the seller's boundaries happen to be different. Is that worded ok? :rodent:

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, that's awful! I am so sorry about this. That is unbelievable. :nono:

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm incredibly sorry this happened to you, GoldfishPie. <hugs> But I want to thank you for letting us know what happened. As an avid Etsy user, I'll be sure to avoid this vendor.

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
LoversKites|1432638489|3881173 said:
I totally understand why you are frustrated. From now on, ask all the relevant questions prior to purchasing, especially regarding treatment which is often left out (whether out of ignorance of the seller, assuming that the consumer doesn't care, or dishonesty sometimes).

Natural can refer to the origin of the stone (earth mined/a lab) and the treatment status. Can a heat-only sapphire be called natural? Can a reconstituted emerald be called natural? Where is the line drawn? I think we have personal boundaries and we know what is acceptable to us. That is why, before making a purchase, it's important to know the details of a stone and it's treatment status in case your boundaries and the seller's boundaries happen to be different. Is that worded ok? :rodent:

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

It is worded perfectly, and yes I fully agree. I should have asked more questions and for more pictures! I think I also fell into a frenzied buyer stage because he offered a discount if I bought it before close of business. I definitely learned my lesson :(

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very sorry to hear of your poor experience.

Moonstones are commonly backed to give them the appearance of blue adularescence, I also refuse to buy gems/jewelry from dealers who charge restocking fees. Normally, I don't mind losing the S&H I paid, but restocking fees are ridiculous.

He should have better represented the gem with photos and treatments, enhancement notations. It's so important to ask the right questions in that regard with colored stones, and they're infamously left out of many notations. I hope you leave an informative and appropriate review.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to read this. I cannot believe there are vendors that rather have unhappy customers. Thank you for sharing your experience.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is truly unfortunate that the vendor behaved in such a shoddy fashion, passing the buck on to the "certified gemologist" as if he himself was unable to make any decisions whatsoever! I agree with TL that I don't buy from those which require a restocking fee. Still, even if you did, you would certainly expect better service and honest treatment - not at all what you experienced. :(sad

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lesson learned, but at least you are not out all of the money, which is a good thing. I tend to think that this experience will help you avoid costly mistakes in the future, plus you have warned us all about this vendor. Thanks for sharing your experience and I am sorry this happened to you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry this has happened, it is a really unreal strange looking colour in the listed photos, so next time put it on hold and ask people here what they think or make sure vendors have a full refund policy. I hope you can leave negative feedback regardless.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Leave a crappy review on Etsy and be sure to buy from CS vendors on the list (in the sticky at the top of this forum).

This is why I don't spend big bucks on Etsy, many of the vendors there impress me as unprofessional.

Sorry this happened to you. :nono:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to dredge up an old post. But I noticed the seller has the exact same ring for sale in his store... did you manage to return it??

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I just looked at the item on etsy. It still makes no mention of the backing on the stone. The purple effect is visible around the edge of the stone. purple and green are tertiary colors on the wheel and when placed with gold and the white body of the stone make for a lively visual play. Saying that yellow is the complement of purple does not address the problem of the stone being enhanced and the enhancement not disclosed.
I used the Report item button and sent this message to etsy:

Experiences with this seller, over this same item, as you can read here,

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/warning-and-a-lessons-learned-experience-etsy.213463/

do serious damage to etsy's reputation and any potential buyer's confidence. Getting swindled should not be the experience people share about etsy. Allowing this seller to continue to use the etsy platform makes me very unlikely to consider a purchase on etsy in the future.

Here is a direct link to the item in case anyone else would like to report it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/217102862/vintage-green-moonstone-ring-victorian?confirm_reported=1

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the haughty attitude of the seller is enraging! I've seen that store before and will definitely NOT be purchasing from him. Thanks for the heads up. I'm so sorry this happened.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You know, if the seller was honest and priced the item correctly, he would have sold it a long time ago. A lot of people couldn't care less about backings, coatings, and other treatments. My 9 year old son loves the mystic topaz he got in a grab bag at a recent gem show. He has it proudly displayed with his rocks, fossils and shells.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, if the seller was honest and priced the item correctly, he would have sold it a long time ago. A lot of people couldn't care less about backings, coatings, and other treatments. My 9 year old son loves the mystic topaz he got in a grab bag at a recent gem show. He has it proudly displayed with his rocks, fossils and shells.
That is true! I noticed he also has some 'antique' opal triplet rings in modernist, 1950's-60's and 1970's settings. Many don't mind triplets, but his prices and stated ages are just so far off. A sloppily done sterling silver, opal triplet for $500?
Btw, that's so cute about the mystic topaz. My daughter adores a bright pink CZ, which she also has displayed with her shells, rocks and minerals!! Lol!

Last edited:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I cannot believe the vendor would charge any more than $30- $50 for an opal triplet ring! I love Pricescope for warning members about dishonest sellers.

I love the story about your daughter's pink CZ. That is so sweet! She thinks it's beautiful and that's all that matters.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That is a real bummer. Pricescopers rarely get hoodwinked by the unscrupulous seller, but it still does happen now and then. As a community of like-minded folks, we take note of the failings and shortcomings of those who have been "got" or some other poor treatment bestowed upon them by sh*tty dealers.
Back in the day on Pricescope, some of us actually pursued and disrupted sellers who kept consistently ripping off the buyers. The purple caped crusader I was.....sigh....
~amethystguy

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a real bummer. Pricescopers rarely get hoodwinked by the unscrupulous seller, but it still does happen now and then. As a community of like-minded folks, we take note of the failings and shortcomings of those who have been "got" or some other poor treatment bestowed upon them by sh*tty dealers.
Back in the day on Pricescope, some of us actually pursued and disrupted sellers who kept consistently ripping off the buyers. The purple caped crusader I was.....sigh....
~amethystguy

Hahaha looks like we need the purple caped crusader to come out of retirement!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha looks like we need the purple caped crusader to come out of retirement!
I looked for the picture of that purple cape that I would post, but I didn't see it off hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results