shape
carat
color
clarity

want to know about this stone

aragon

Rough_Rock
Please I want to know about this stone.It is almost 200 years old stone my Grand Grand Father used to wear it. It changes color also under diffrent lights.

img_20130112_161904.jpg

img_6662.jpg

img_6749.jpg

img_6754.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would like to see the setting that was in when your 2x grandfather wore it!

aragon

Rough_Rock
SIR MY ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD PLEASE DONT MIND OK..IT IS MADE IN PLATINUM RING ALONG WITH DIMONDS AND RUBY BUT IT IS ALREADY DAMAGED DUE TO SIZE.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like synthetic vanadium laced corundum. However, it's impossible to tell from a photo.

Why have you put it in water? Just curious and I wouldn't do this routinely because there are many gemstones that wouldn't like this at all!

aragon

Rough_Rock
JUST ONE OF MY FRIEND TOLD ME TO PUT INSIDE WATER IF THE COLOR CHANGE INTO WATER AND IT TRANSPLANT 9 COLOR IN THE SHADOW.THEN THIS STONE RATE VERY EXPENSIVE SO I TEST ID DID THE SAME. SO I AM HERE IN THIS FORUMTO KNOW ABOUT THIS STONE

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1358955310|3362269 said:
It looks like synthetic vanadium laced corundum. However, it's impossible to tell from a photo.

I suspect this too because of it's extreme clarity, how well it has held up over 200 years and the perfect yet very strong colour change.

Can you please turn off the CAPs when posting. It makes it very difficult to read and comes across as shouting etiquette wise. The only way to narrow down the possibility is to either send it to a good lab (AGL, GIA, SSEF, Gubelin, etc) or have an experienced gemmologist run some tests on it (refractive index, specific gravity, check pleochroism, etc).

aragon

Rough_Rock
Ok chrono bro. I had got ruby also 1.3 carat that ruby this stone is from same our tradiational ring .The ruby is Peigon blood ruby.Indian comes to buy they said that ruby is orgial.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aragon|1358956535|3362283 said:
Ok chrono bro. I had got ruby also 1.3 carat that ruby this stone is from same our tradiational ring .The ruby is Peigon blood ruby.Indian comes to buy they said that ruby is orgial.

Chrono isn't a "bro", Chrono is a woman (and a very pretty woman actually)!

You need to get all of your stones checked. Pigeon blood red is not a term that we like to use as it's completely misleading in most cases. "Original" rubies can still be highly treated which makes them quite cost effective to buy.

CYIW

Rough_Rock
That is funny! Actually I think "Chrobro" has a nice ring to it ;-)

aragon

Rough_Rock
That Purple color on the pic is sapphire blue in real the stone is nice than a picture taken .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to worry, I am not offended in the least. I've often been mistaken for a man here, probably due to the way I write.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1359040044|3362762 said:
Not to worry, I am not offended in the least. I've often been mistaken for a man here, probably due to the way I write.

XD; Have to agree with this Chrono. As a roleplayer who is a reverse trap (ie. I'm female and I roleplay male characters) I do change my speech to give the impression of being direct/curt when I'm doing a male character.

I'm sorry for the threadjack OP .-.

aragon

Rough_Rock
chrono miss today i had shown this stone to one geomogicalist but they were not certified. they just guess and tell this as a sapphire, they used eye glass, and some lights.. they told me to go india,.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aragon|1359041775|3362784 said:
chrono miss today i had shown this stone to one geomogicalist but they were not certified. they just guess and tell this as a sapphire, they used eye glass, and some lights.. they told me to go india,.

Aragon - if I take my stones to my local jeweller, without them being qualified and without testing the equipment they could tell me they were anything. Should I believe them? No.

If you want a definitive answer you need to get somebody who can run tests and who is familiar with coloured stones. Your stones are all highly suspect. You've either got crown jewels or synthetics. What I suggest you do is look at the links to vendors (top of this forum) and click on each of those links and look at the sapphires for sale - compare size/clarity etc to yours. In fact, just see if you can find 10-20ct sapphires. That should give you an idea why we're all thinking these are synthetics. Nobody here will be able to tell you for sure so testing is the only way.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aragon|1359042391|3362794 said:
Thank you LD bro thats also good idea bro!!

:errrr: Not sure why you think everybody is a "bro"? I'm not a "bro" either!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aragon|1359041775|3362784 said:

It is not necessary to add the salutation in this forum. We are pretty casual and relaxed. From what you described, the gemmologist is doing what we are doing here, making an assumption based on what he sees without any actual testing. The gemmologist need to use specific tools to verify the gem type, characteristics and study the inclusions in order to make the correct assessment. Just eye-balling it is going to tell you very little than what you already know. Going to India is a very poor suggestion. :nono: You don't need to go to a specific place or country to get your stone checked out.

aragon

Rough_Rock
Thank you chrono.. Here in Nepal only Gemmologist know about diamond,couse diamond is popular here. Only king family, Ranas and High class Goldsmith family wear Ruby, EMrald, Sapphire,.. I had shown this in 2 place but they told me this may be sapphire but they cant say this in real.They suggest me to go Jaipur, India for certificate..My father also make jewellaries and he know about gems stone couse this is our family business. he said this stone is smooth so it is nice stone and he also dont know about that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How good or poor is the postal system in Nepal? Are you all right with sending your stone to Thailand (AIGS) or India (GIT)?

aragon

Rough_Rock
Hello Chrono I checked this gems stone on Local Gems Lab

Mohs Scale is 9.0
specific gravity is 4.20
Carat is 23.90
They told it is color changing Natural Sapphire

incandescent_light.jpgroom_day_light.pngmixedlight.png

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
With this size and weight I would be sending it to Gubelin or GIA.
If its natural with that destinction of colour and clarity it will come down to if it is also heated or not, and we will be talking US$100K +
anybodies guess on final value.
With the value at stake here future buyers will now only except certs from the top labs in the world, and we are talking a stone that may be the center piece at a Christies auction.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mohs Scale is 9.0
specific gravity is 4.20
Carat is 23.90

Insufficient information to determine whether it is natural or synthetic because the MOH and SG for both a natural and synthetic are the same. It is time to send it to the lab to pull out the better equipment that can make that distinction.
http://www.gia.edu/gem-synthetic

A synthetic gem material is one that is made in a laboratory, but which shares virtually all chemical, optical, and physical characteristics of its natural mineral counterpart, though in some cases, namely synthetic turquoise and synthetic opal, additional compounds can be present.

Synthetic gem crystals have been manufactured since the late 1800s.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results