shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to buy emerald in Colombia

sparkle_zo

Shiny_Rock
Hello, dear PS's!
I am dreaming of nice emerald and would like to get one while visiting Colombia. I am aware of Emerald Trade Center, although would appreciate someone could recommend a trustful vendor in Bogota.
Is there any established price per carat for an emerald of deep color and brightness I can use to evaluate a deal? What can I get for about $7-8k?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could contact Lee Wasson in Bogota, Colombia: www.leewasson.com
I would contact him via email.

The price per carat will depend on the inclusions, the color etc

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been to the Emerald Trade Center about 5-6 years ago. I thought it was decent if you knew what you were doing and you negotiated hard. I was not tempted with the sellers on the street. The Emerald Trade Center has several floors of small shops and a few 'backroom' places that were basically a desk and a safe. Frankly these non-showroom vendors had the best and most expensive gems as they did primarily wholesale but would sell to the public as well. The prices were better than at home but if you are looking for an exceptional stone then you will pay the international market price. I bought a pair of emeralds for earring drops that were nicely matched. I would go back. Forget Cartegna-very pricey and catered to the tourists. We were in Mompox and found an incredible metal artisan who was making a high end gold and emerald necklace. It was the most beautiful gold work I have seen in a long time and the emeralds just glowed. Have fun emerald shopping!

sparkle_zo

Shiny_Rock
I will go to Emerald Trade Center for sure and I know that I have to negotiate to get a good price. I've learnt it after living several years in Mexico :).
Is there any guideline on Emerald pricing? It's not that straitforward as with diamonds...

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
When visiting family in Bogota, I purchased a few small pieces at Galeria Minas de Colombia, based on the recommendation of a couple of Americans working in the city.
I recommend Galeria because I found it to be safe (an important consideration!) and they thoroughly explained the mine sources and treatment processes for each gem I was considering. Treatment disclosures are particularly noteworthy because treatments can greatly affect the market value and long-term integrity of emeralds. This may not be an issue for you given that you've been living in Mexico, but I'd suggest calling ahead if you'd like to make certain there is a salesperson fluent in English when you visit.

Unless they've moved, Galeria Minas de Colombia's address is Diagonal 20A, No 0-12, Este Bogota, Bogota, Colombia. Website: http://www.galeriaminasdecolombia.com/english/

Hope you have a great trip. Bogota is BEAUTIFUL!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, even if there IS a price guide, there are so many variables to make it consistent in addition to other non-gem factors that affect pricing.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/price-guide-for-buying-coloured-stones.138053/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/price-guide-for-buying-coloured-stones.138053/[/URL]

First, you'll need to understand the breakdown of colour and its nuances.
Then there is treatment.
Colour, cut quality, carat size, overhead (profit, how quickly one want to move the stone, etc) are also factors in pricing.

http://buygemstone.info/2013/06/17/natural-emerald-buying-treatment-guide-how-to-buy-and-tell-the-difference-between-100-natural-no-oil-minor-moderate-and-significant-treatment-emeralds/

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Learn about emeralds BEFORE you go. Go to high end shops such as Tiffany's, Cartier, etc. and have them tell you why an emerald is good and the treatments. Read anything you can on the internet, of course PS is a great resource-posters really know their stuff. I learn everyday from PS. After a while you will be able to discern the good from the bad. It is when you go really high quality that the stakes are much higher. I visited the ETC at least twice before making a purchase as I would discover new stones that I had not seen before. Plus as I saw what was available, the prices and the treatments my search became more refined and focused-as to shape, price and treatments. I also did not want anything set so I knew how much the stone cost-not the setting or any markup for design, gold or diamonds. Because I had a jeweler at home who could set the stones, he said to make sure that they were cut well and uniformly as any additional custom work to set it would be extra. I actually had a lot of fun shopping there-you will be amazed at the shear number of emeralds on offer. I also did not have a problem with language as I found plenty spoke english-especially the higher end dealers and the sellers on the lobby floor(more commercial).

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Lambskin is totally right about educating yourself BEFORE shopping. For one thing, the Emerald Trade Center can be overwhelming and it takes knowledge to sift through the pretty-looking duds to find the better stuff.
Also, I was grateful that I had previously done a some research before going to the Emerald Trade Center and other standalone storefronts because it helped me get a sense of who was being honest about which treatments are invasive and/or degrade over the short term.
Figuring out appropriate market pricing is really hard. As others have pointed out, there's so many factors that affect any stone's value. That's why I suggest favoring those vendors who seem interested in full disclosure and making sure you understand exactly what you're purchasing.

Best of luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results